Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 PM
sjohnsen

Default Leaf Problem - your suggestions needed.

My east Tennessee yard is 1 1/2 acres with too many oak trees. Nice in the
summer but hell in the fall due to all the leaves.
I have tried mowing them up but oak leaves don't fragment / mow up all that
well. I've worked myself to near exhaustion raking, blowing and loading
onto tarps and hauling to the back of the property.

So my question is what is the best way or best equipment to use to take care
of lots of leaves?

I try to cut 1 or 2 oaks a year but the problem is severe.

Thanks!
Under the leaves in Tennessee.....

Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Farlo

"sjohnsen" wrote:

So my question is what is the best way or best equipment to use to
take care of lots of leaves?

Well, if you got the largest RIDGID shop vac and put a large trash bag in
it, you could vacuum up bagfulls of leaves. Put the vac in a little wagon
for easy transport. After a couple bags, a small wood chipper would make
easy work of each bag's contents. You'd need a small generator to power
the vac and maybe also power the chipper. That, too, could be in a wagon.
A little wagon train of leafy destruction.

Never tried this crazy idea. Maybe the leaves will jam it before you can
suck up all that much. Then again, maybe the vacuum will compact the
leaves as it sucks, allowing you to truly clean up.

You could rent a small driveable vac, like the kinds that they use on
parking lots. That would be a half hour of easy driving.

You could take a roll of quarters (one or two rolls) and fling them all
over your yard. Tell the neighbor kids that they can keep whatever they
collect - but they can only search the areas with no leaves. Loan them a
rake and ... hmmm, you'd probably want to KEEP the trees. Nevermind.
Plus, you'd have yard monkeys over your lawn for days.

I dunno, man - good luck.

--
Farlo, the Urban Fey Dragon
Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Bugman

I think I'd run that one by your local equipment rental place. They're sure
to have a few suggestions.

`chris

Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Chet Hayes

"Bugman" wrote in message ...
I think I'd run that one by your local equipment rental place. They're sure
to have a few suggestions.

`chris

Riding mower with a mulching deck, large bag in back
Old 16-11-2003, 01:32 PM
pat

We have about 1/2 your area but huge 150 yr old trees. First I take
the riding lawn mower with the bag attachment and run over entire area
that I want to pick up never emptying bags. When done dump bags and
clean out chute then go back over chopped up area emptying bags when
full. Think I am getting about 6-8 to 1 compaction so it really cuts
the trips/empty time down

Old 16-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Frank K.

I have a vacuum trailer I tow behind my garden tractor/mower. It does a
fantastic job. I built it myself. It holds 44 bushels and just needs to be
emptied once when mowing my 1 acre. The hose connects to the mower deck. If
the leaves are dry, it will chew them up into pieces smaller than 1 inch
square.

Old 17-11-2003, 06:02 PM
pat

Hi Scott:

I use a 10+ yr old monkey wards/MTD 18hp 46 reg deck/blades with the
twin bag attachment. Couple of yrs ago found the plug that turns the
deck into a mulcher but if I don't empty the bags/tube first time
around acts like a mulch mower without messing with plug. Don't
really think make/model that important Neighbor uses Snapper 38 inch
same way. Think The key is mulch first and pickup later. Northern
tool and hyd has the chipper/shredder cart combo for about $750 IIRC
that is mentioned farther on. Think 2 advantages would be better
compaction like 15:1 and if you take the deck tube off it acts like
big shop vac to get out of fencerow gardens etc. Have a 5 hp chipper
that have been toying with idea of making my own but havn't got my
round tuit yet. 1 thing I am going to try soon is leave bag frame/tube
on and wrap a burlap bag with bottom out around tube to just let
mulched leaves fall to ground in windrow. Without an extension they
just go everywhere including on me! Think your place like mine and
even with mulching need to pick up or will kill grass overwinter

"sjohnsen" wrote in message ...
Pat,
Sound like your system works well. What size and brand mower do you use? I
suppose its a rear bagger. A 6 to 1 reduction in volume would sure be
helpful.
Thanks Again,
Scott

"pat" wrote in message
om...
We have about 1/2 your area but huge 150 yr old trees. First I take
the riding lawn mower with the bag attachment and run over entire area
that I want to pick up never emptying bags. When done dump bags and
clean out chute then go back over chopped up area emptying bags when
full. Think I am getting about 6-8 to 1 compaction so it really cuts
the trips/empty time down

(Chet Hayes) wrote in message

om...

Old 17-11-2003, 10:27 PM
Boots Crofoot

I hope you are not cutting the trees cause you don't want
to be bothered with the leaves?

Old 14-12-2003, 08:02 AM
sjohnsen

Frank,
Can you share some of the details of the vacuum trailer you constructed, it
souls like a jewel. I'd sure like to build something like that. How about
posting an e photo? What size and brand mower do you use, does it have
mulching features?
Thanks again,
Scott

Old 14-12-2003, 08:02 AM
Frank K.

I'll send you some photos tomorrow if you send me your email address. I
tried a reply, but it came back as undeliverable.

Frank