Old 11-08-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pachysandra and Queen Anne's lace

Hello All

Sorry if this has been discussed before. I did a Google Groups search and
don't see it.

I'm renting a carriage house on a glorious four-acre property with horses,
stones walls, split-rail fences, etc. With deer and shade trees around,
there's lots of pachysandra beds. What a beautiful plant! I love the shape
and texture of the leaf. But one of the beds has been invaded by Queen
Anne's Lace, which really is overpowering the pachy. Is there any way of
eliminating the Queen Ann's Lace without killing off the pachysandra? I've
started pulling the Queen Anne. Actually, I enjoy doing it. But it's hard
getting the roots, and I expect it'll grow back quickly.

Also, I put some pachysandra in a hanging pot and hung it from under one of
the carriage house eves. I was thinking of doing more since it's a nice
touch having the same plant hanging in pots that also on the ground. It also
looks great in a pot. But has anyone ever tried keep pachy as a potted
plant? Will this work, or will the pachy and its runners quickly overrun the
pot and make a mess? Figured I'd ask before do any more.

Thanks.

Regards,
Anthony Giorgianni

For everyone's benefit, please post replies back to the group!

Old 12-08-2006, 01:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

use pre-emergent to stop Queen seeds from germinating. pachy comes back from roots.
Ingrid

"Anthony Giorgianni" pleasepostbacktothe lid wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 12-08-2006, 03:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thanks Ingrid

Does that mean this is best done in April? And will the pre-emergent damage
the pachy leaves that are still there when you apply it (and the pachy grows
back). Or will the pachy simply be unaffected?

Thanks again.

lid wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
I receive no compensation for running the Puregold list or Puregold
website.
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 13-08-2006, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

pre-emergent only affects germination of seeds. nothing else. and yes, good to
apply it when seeds are germinating. this may be different for different kinds of
weeds, best to google for that info.
BTW, here is summary of pre-emergents.
http://www.lebturf.com/index.cfm?fus...407 &typeid=7
Ingrid

"Anthony Giorgianni" pleasepostbacktothe lid wrote:

Thanks Ingrid

Does that mean this is best done in April? And will the pre-emergent damage
the pachy leaves that are still there when you apply it (and the pachy grows
back). Or will the pachy simply be unaffected?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at