Old 30-07-2006, 06:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Getting Rid of Queen Anne's Lace

Just digging it out isn't working, and may not even be possible.

If I remove all the other smaller plants in the area, can I use
Roundup, or some other weedkiller, to kill the Queen Anne's Lace?

If not Roundup, what is recommended?

Will the weedkiller hurt lilacs, roses, raspberries, or any other
bushes in the area (too large to remove)?

How long after using the weedkiller can the original plants be restored
or new ones put in in place of the Queen Anne's Lace? Thanks.

Cori

Old 30-07-2006, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charles wrote:

One plant, or many? Can you gather the plant into a bundle and stuff
it into a garbage bag with the bottom removed, then douse it with
round-up? shouldn't hurt any plants that you don't put it on.

A whole border. Someone suggested putting the Roundup on a sponge and
the sponge directly on any plants I don't want, so as not to damage
ones I do want, but I was sort of thinking of moving those plants
anyway to redistribute them. It's the ones too large to move about
which I'm concerned. Thanks for your suggestion. Maybe it would be
best to put the garbage bags around the plants I do want and spray all
the others--there are so many more of them!

Cori

Old 30-07-2006, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

yeah, roundup will work, but you need to use pre-emergent in spring when you put the
plants back you want. last year we had 1 plants, this year I have a row, but in
spring I pulled a lot to make that one row. I LOVE QAL. Ingrid

wrote:

Just digging it out isn't working, and may not even be possible.

If I remove all the other smaller plants in the area, can I use
Roundup, or some other weedkiller, to kill the Queen Anne's Lace?

If not Roundup, what is recommended?

Will the weedkiller hurt lilacs, roses, raspberries, or any other
bushes in the area (too large to remove)?

How long after using the weedkiller can the original plants be restored
or new ones put in in place of the Queen Anne's Lace? Thanks.

Cori

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 30-07-2006, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

QAL is a very deep rooted plant, I don't think digging will help. Where do
you live? QAL grows fairly slowly around here, and is easily controlled.
They sprout late in the season, and you can see them all over the place in
summer and fall. I think they are not as much of a pest because once the
weather gets warm enough for them to grow, it stops raining and they don't
get much water. They are, however, a very deep rooted plant, and will still
slowly grow and bloom when everything around it has died. I mow them or just
pull them out, and they are gone.

Give it a bit of water, and one plant will do this:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...s/DSCF4151.jpg

I expect I'll have a couple million of them next year because of this one
plant. My kids like it, I don't have the heart to pull it, so I water it
weekly instead and watch it grow.

ups.com...

Old 30-07-2006, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...images/DSCF415
1.jpg

That's lovely.

How do they propagate -- seeds? tubers? I'd love some in my wildflower
garden.

How come plants never seem to grow rogue in the gardens of those who would
welcome them?
Old 31-07-2006, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...images/DSCF415
1.jpg

That's lovely.

How do they propagate -- seeds? tubers? I'd love some in my wildflower
garden.

How come plants never seem to grow rogue in the gardens of those who would
welcome them?

Stick a few carrots (buy them at the grocery store; they're cheap) in
the ground in your wf garden next year and you will have queen annes
lace. It might also work to scatter some carrot seeds in the fall.

Bob
Old 31-07-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...images/DSCF415
1.jpg

That's lovely.

How do they propagate -- seeds? tubers? I'd love some in my wildflower
garden.

How come plants never seem to grow rogue in the gardens of those who would
welcome them?

They propagate like seeds, like a carrot. They are supposed to be
perrenials, but my observations make me think they might be annuals - IE
they bloom the first year when planted from seeds. I'm going to save the
seeds from mine and plant a few next year and see how they do.

Old 31-07-2006, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote in
:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...n/images/DSCF4
15 1.jpg

That's lovely.

How do they propagate -- seeds? tubers? I'd love some in my
wildflower garden.

How come plants never seem to grow rogue in the gardens of those who
would welcome them?

Stick a few carrots (buy them at the grocery store; they're cheap) in
the ground in your wf garden next year and you will have queen annes
lace. It might also work to scatter some carrot seeds in the fall.

Bob

Wait a minute... QAL and carrots are the same thing?????

Old 31-07-2006, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bob

Wait a minute... QAL and carrots are the same thing?????

QAL aka The Wild Carrot aka Daucus Carota is a wild carrot, not the same
thing as a domesticated carrot, but a cousin. Here in Oregon it's classified
as a class C noxious weed. They are everywhere, but I've not noticed them
being that noxious. Maybe if I was a farmer I'd feel otherwise :-P. They
don't get very big unless you water them, like I did to a couple - then they
get huge. There are a rather pretty wildflower, IMNSHO. It's edible when
young, but I don't recommend eating it because there are other similar
plants that are poisonous. You might end up eating hemlock by mistake.

http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/queen.html
http://oak.ppws.vt.edu/~sforza/weeds/dauca.html
http://www.carrotmuseum.co.uk/weeds.html

Old 31-07-2006, 02:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in
:

FragileWarrior wrote:
"Matthew Reed" nospam at zootal dot com nospam wrote in
:

http://zootal.no-ip.info/stuff/2006%...n/images/DSCF4
15 1.jpg
That's lovely.

How do they propagate -- seeds? tubers? I'd love some in my
wildflower garden.

How come plants never seem to grow rogue in the gardens of those who
would welcome them?

Stick a few carrots (buy them at the grocery store; they're cheap) in
the ground in your wf garden next year and you will have queen annes
lace. It might also work to scatter some carrot seeds in the fall.

Bob

Wait a minute... QAL and carrots are the same thing?????

Not quite, but close enough. (QAL roots are white.)

Bob
Old 31-07-2006, 02:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote in :

FragileWarrior wrote:

[..]
Wait a minute... QAL and carrots are the same thing?????

Not quite, but close enough. (QAL roots are white.)

Bob

Parsnips?

Old 31-07-2006, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

FragileWarrior wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in :

FragileWarrior wrote:

[..]
Wait a minute... QAL and carrots are the same thing?????

Not quite, but close enough. (QAL roots are white.)

Bob

Parsnips?

Not parsnips. (parsnips have yellow flowers) They are carrots, but the
roots are white. If you plant carrots in the flowerbed, you get QAL --
but they might grow almost 6 feet tall if you water them (don't ask me
how I know this)

Bob
Old 31-07-2006, 03:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

zxcvbob wrote in
:

FragileWarrior wrote:
zxcvbob wrote in
:

FragileWarrior wrote:

[..]
Wait a minute... QAL and carrots are the same thing?????

Not quite, but close enough. (QAL roots are white.)

Bob

Parsnips?

Not parsnips. (parsnips have yellow flowers) They are carrots, but the
roots are white. If you plant carrots in the flowerbed, you get QAL
-- but they might grow almost 6 feet tall if you water them (don't ask
me how I know this)

Bob

COOOOOOOL! Tomorrow I shall be planting some carrots in my garden.