Old 07-07-2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cutting Queen Anne's Lace

Does anyone know the trick for keeping Queen Anne's Lace from drooping
after cutting?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.

--

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with
the intention of arriving safely in an attractive

BetsyB

Old 07-07-2007, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

"betsyb" wrote in
:

Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.

It's got to be fresh for what I need it for. I need it to look like it
looks in the field.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"betsyb" wrote in
:

Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.

It's got to be fresh for what I need it for. I need it to look like it
looks in the field.

They make a skinny florist wire to hold them up and change the water
frequently.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"betsyb" wrote in
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
"betsyb" wrote in
:

Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.

It's got to be fresh for what I need it for. I need it to look like it
looks in the field.

They make a skinny florist wire to hold them up and change the water
frequently.

Nope, no wires allowed. It's for a fair entry. No wire, no tape, no
nuthin' cept' water and a vase. (I suppose there could be something
added to the water but it can't be visible.)

Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 1:04 pm, Charlie wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 10:40:17 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior

wrote:
Does anyone know the trick for keeping Queen Anne's Lace from drooping
after cutting?

They say to sear the cut end of poppies over a flame to keep them from
drooping. Haven't tried it.

Easy trick to try on QAL.

Charlie

FW
if Charlie's idea doesn't work, try putting the stem in boiling
water for a few seconds and then plunge the stems in cold water
all the way up to the flower heads overnight if possible.

(you must be entering flower arrangements in the county fair??
have been wondering where you were!)
Emilie
NorCal

Old 07-07-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Does anyone know the trick for keeping Queen Anne's Lace from drooping
after cutting?

They say to sear the cut end of poppies over a flame to keep them from
drooping. Haven't tried it.

Easy trick to try on QAL.

Charlie

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Someone told me there IS a way to do it but
couldn't remember what it was.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

Two words: liquid nitrogen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqeCxeNXcw

Old 07-07-2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 2:14 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"betsyb" wrote :

"FragileWarrior" wrote in message
.. .
"betsyb" wrote in
:

Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.

It's got to be fresh for what I need it for. I need it to look like it
looks in the field.

They make a skinny florist wire to hold them up and change the water
frequently.

Nope, no wires allowed. It's for a fair entry. No wire, no tape, no
nuthin' cept' water and a vase. (I suppose there could be something
added to the water but it can't be visible.)

Ah I thought so. I used to be a devoted fair flower arranger. Entered
every bloomin' class. It was a good way to make garden money,
but it sure did take over your life!!
I didn't enter at all this year and the feeling of freedom was great!
(we went camping instead)
Emilie

Old 07-07-2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Might take a peek at http://www.housebythesideoftheroad.com/cfbook/cf.htm
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Old 07-07-2007, 10:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Darren Garrison wrote:

Two words: liquid nitrogen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehqeCxeNXcw

Ah, the Mad Max of flower arrangers.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 2:32 pm, Charlie wrote:

wrote:
Does anyone know the trick for keeping Queen Anne's Lace from drooping
after cutting?

They say to sear the cut end of poppies over a flame to keep them from
drooping. Haven't tried it.

Easy trick to try on QAL.

Charlie

FW
if Charlie's idea doesn't work, try putting the stem in boiling
water for a few seconds and then plunge the stems in cold water
all the way up to the flower heads overnight if possible.

Thanks Emilie, for this tip, hadn't heard or tried this.....duly noted
and remembered. Does this work on any cut flowers or recommended for
specific kinds? I hate cutting, or bringing home cut flowers, and they
begin to wilt quickly.....makes me feel a bit like a murderer of some
sort. :-)

So much to learn and remember.

Charlie

It works on many flowers, but not always on all. I learned of it by
using
it for hydrangeas, which were just awful about drooping down all of a
sudden.
It's also good for reviving roses that have developed an "air lock" or
a bubble of air in the stem that prevents the drawing up of water.
(To avoid this: Cut roses and then _immediately_ plunge into a bucket
of lukewarm water up to their heads.Sometimes florist roses will
droop
and who wants to lose those at the price you pay)
Yes, a lot to try to remember.........there are whole books just on
the
conditioning of cut flowers.........

Emilie

Old 08-07-2007, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

mleblanca wrote in
ups.com:

On Jul 7, 2:14 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"betsyb" wrote
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in
message
.. .
"betsyb" wrote in
:

Hang it upside down to dry in a dark room. I use coat hangers.

It's got to be fresh for what I need it for. I need it to look
like it looks in the field.

They make a skinny florist wire to hold them up and change the
water frequently.

Nope, no wires allowed. It's for a fair entry. No wire, no tape, no
nuthin' cept' water and a vase. (I suppose there could be something
added to the water but it can't be visible.)

Ah I thought so. I used to be a devoted fair flower arranger. Entered
every bloomin' class. It was a good way to make garden money,
but it sure did take over your life!!

I only discovered the fair last year. Had two entries in the flower
class, seven in the Arts and Crafts. Cleaned up in Arts and Crafts but
in the intervening year, I took the Master Gardener course and I'm now
scheduled to work the fair during the flower show this year. There is
one entry called, "Road To The Fair" where you are supposed to find the
stuff for the arrangement ON THE WAY to the fair. Last year everyone
used QAL and every single one looked like crap by judging time. I'm only
playing around with the thought of entering this year but I thought I'd
be ready in case I decided to play the night before the event.

Okay, next question: I'm looking for herbs (HAS to be herbs) with common
names (or Latin ones if they exist) that have to do with money. I've
come up with Pennyroyal and Lamb's Quarters, so far. I need two or three
more. Any ideas? Obscure names will do as long as they are really
legit.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy Rose wrote in
:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Okay, I'll give that a shot. Someone told me there IS a way to do it
but couldn't remember what it was.

Might take a peek at
http://www.housebythesideoftheroad.com/cfbook/cf.htm

Nice page. That was worth a bookmark!
Old 08-07-2007, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/8/07 7:11 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

mleblanca wrote in
ups.com:

On Jul 7, 2:14 pm, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"betsyb" wrote
:

"FragileWarrior" wrote in
message
"betsyb" wrote in
:

[...]

How about twining the QAL around a stick and propping the head up that way?

Okay, next question: I'm looking for herbs (HAS to be herbs) with common
names (or Latin ones if they exist) that have to do with money. I've
come up with Pennyroyal and Lamb's Quarters, so far. I need two or three
more. Any ideas? Obscure names will do as long as they are really
legit.

I'll think on it!