Old 19-08-2006, 11:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pruning sun fuschia

This is So.Calif coastal.

I have let my sun fuschias get out of hand.

Lots of branches crossing; little "threads" from dead blooms, in
short, a mess.

Rather than get in there and fiddle with all this, which would take
forever, am wondering whether I could just cut back to a few trunks
and wait for plants to come back.

(I have done this repeatedly with a "regular" fuschia when it got too
long & droopy, and it always came back. But the configuration of this
fuschia is quite different from the tangled mess of the sun fuschias.)

Any experience/input on this?

Persephone

Old 20-08-2006, 10:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 15:37:14 -0700, Persephone wrote:

This is So.Calif coastal.

I have let my sun fuschias get out of hand.

Lots of branches crossing; little "threads" from dead blooms, in
short, a mess.

Rather than get in there and fiddle with all this, which would take
forever, am wondering whether I could just cut back to a few trunks
and wait for plants to come back.

(I have done this repeatedly with a "regular" fuschia when it got too
long & droopy, and it always came back. But the configuration of this
fuschia is quite different from the tangled mess of the sun fuschias.)

Any experience/input on this?

Persephone

I've run over them with a lawn mower and dug them up, just leaving a
bit of root, and they came back. If they are in the ground, and
established, they are quite sturdy. I presume you are speaking of
real fuchsias which are sun tolerant. Need any 20 foot long cuttings?
Old 20-08-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

If you do not desire imposing extra injury to your tree - I highly suggest
reading this book.
And do not use wound dressing.
Once you have read it you will be able to answer your own question.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/TPRUNING.html

You also would be wise to offer the tree other treatments that address their
requirements.
This book would help someone understand many treatments.
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/MARBOR.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.

KICK RICK SANTORUM OUT IN 2006!
Why? See his score card here
http://capwiz.com/lcv/dbq/vote_info/...=&azip=19 380

Old 21-08-2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 19:16:48 -0400, "V_coerulea"
wrote:

What is a "sun fuchsia"?
Gary

Duh...Now that you ask...

I've always heard this particular one called "sun fuchsia", and just
concluded that the term meant that it would take more sun than
"regular" ones. I went online to look for the term, but didn't find.

However, I did find a picture om WikiPedia that looks a lot like the
plant I'm concerned with.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuchsia

Persephone

Persephone wrote in message
This is So.Calif coastal.

I have let my sun fuschias get out of hand.

Lots of branches crossing; little "threads" from dead blooms, in
short, a mess.

Rather than get in there and fiddle with all this, which would take
forever, am wondering whether I could just cut back to a few trunks
and wait for plants to come back.

(I have done this repeatedly with a "regular" fuschia when it got too
long & droopy, and it always came back. But the configuration of this
fuschia is quite different from the tangled mess of the sun fuschias.)

Any experience/input on this?

Persephone

[IMG] code is On

Sun without Sun. Erik Orchids 8 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Fuschia's Kari Gardening 2 07-07-2003 03:21 AM
Fuschia Cuttings, when to plant out? Pete United Kingdom 0 30-06-2003 09:56 PM
Fuschia - Will Mine Bloom This Year? Charles Gardening 2 30-04-2003 06:08 AM
Fuschia - Caprice Ian Piper United Kingdom 3 25-04-2003 05:08 PM