Old 21-08-2006, 06:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What should I plant now?

Group,

I live in zone 6, eastern PA. I am a newbie for gardening.

I just got a piece of small community garden and I am learning to
garden. Now that it is late august, what should I plant? I do not
have any preference, only something that can get my foot wet, something
that can survive the winter or can harvest before frost kills them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Old 22-08-2006, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
Group,

I live in zone 6, eastern PA. I am a newbie for gardening.

I just got a piece of small community garden and I am learning to
garden. Now that it is late august, what should I plant? I do not
have any preference, only something that can get my foot wet, something
that can survive the winter or can harvest before frost kills them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

In supermarkets & restaurants, they charge insane prices for gourmet salad
greens. You're lucky enough to be in a place where you can grow all of them
until late October, or even into November if you take measures to protect
them from frost. Lettuce, swiss chard, arugula, spinach, frisé, escarole.
Dandelion greens are also delicious when they grow in cool weather. Also,
it's time to plant collard greens and broccoli raab. It's also worth
planting a late bunch of cucumbers. The ones planted in mid to late May are
usually pretty tired by now, or dead. Stick a few seeds in the ground. Some
years, you can be eating fresh cucumbers into late October. They need heat
to sprout, but not necessarily to succeed for the remaining 98% of their
existence.

Old 22-08-2006, 10:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
"told2b" wrote:

wrote:
Group,
I live in zone 6, eastern PA. I am a newbie for gardening.
I just got a piece of small community garden and I am learning to
garden. Now that it is late august, what should I plant? I do not
have any preference, only something that can get my foot wet, something
that can survive the winter or can harvest before frost kills them.
Any suggestions?

Plant cool season leafy root vegetables: Carrots, Beets, Turnips,
Lettuce, Chard, Radishes and Spinach.

Sow hardy annuals: Sweet Alyssum, Calendula, Annual Pinks, Snapdragon,
and Sweet Peas.
HTH

Kale. Russian Red Kale is delicious and you can kick the snow off
of it and harvest it. Young kale = salad greens. Older kale = soup.

Broccoli. Buy starts and plant them right away. Or plant seeds.
The fast broccoli is 45 days and it's frost-resistant.

Beets. A 60 day crop. Cold weather doesn't bother them.
Make pickled beets or Haaaavad Beets. Eat the greens.
They're good.

You'd probably be surprised how much stuff you can grow
in Zone 6 in the winter. Talk to other gardeners in your
area. Little hoop houses over the garden beds can grow
a shitload of food, if you start stuff now, while the soil
is still warm.

Jan
USDA Zone 3 (Alaska)

--
The way to a man's heart is between the fourth and the fifth rib.
Old 22-08-2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jan Flora" wrote in message

Kale. Russian Red Kale is delicious and you can kick the snow off
of it and harvest it. Young kale = salad greens. Older kale = soup.

If you make tight walls of fallen leaves on either side of the kale in late
fall, right up against the plants, it will survive, growing more slowly,
until December or sometimes much later, even if it snows. Same with
collards. I can't for the life of me figure out why they were considered
just a Southern food many years ago. They laugh at snow. Mine survive all
winter in zone 5, upstate NY. Kale & collards are delicious when picked in
cold weather.