Old 22-08-2006, 09:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is My Dogwood Dying or Just Stressed?

I have a dogwood here in the DC area that is about 9 months old. It is very
dry here, and I am wondering if the tree is dying or just stressed. We've
been watering it regularly.

Sorry that the photo needs rotating.

http://www.freewebs.com/jcman01/p1010165.jpg

Old 22-08-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

I wouldn't rule out severely stressed! Dogwoods in general are
understory trees in a forest. I have a feeling you will soon be buying
a tree more suited for that site.

Old 22-08-2006, 10:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a dogwood here in the DC area that is about 9 months old. It is very
dry here, and I am wondering if the tree is dying or just stressed. We've
been watering it regularly.

Sorry that the photo needs rotating.

http://www.freewebs.com/jcman01/p1010165.jpg

I was afraid you were going to show a picture of a tree infected with
anthracnose. That seems to not be the case. Look over this site:
http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/pla...es/dogwood.htm
If nothing else, it may give you some ideas. The 2nd picture on that
site has some resemblance to your problem.
If the problem is just stress and the stress is relieved, the plant
could survive. Which species of dogwood is that? Do you know?

Steve
Old 22-08-2006, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

I was afraid you were going to show a picture of a tree infected with
anthracnose. That seems to not be the case. Look over this site:
http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/pla...es/dogwood.htm
If nothing else, it may give you some ideas. The 2nd picture on that site
has some resemblance to your problem.
If the problem is just stress and the stress is relieved, the plant could
survive. Which species of dogwood is that? Do you know?

You're right, it is very similar to the 2nd pic. I don't know the species.
Just a pink flowering dogwood that I bought at a local garden center.
Thanks for the help.

Old 22-08-2006, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a dogwood here in the DC area that is about 9 months old. It is
very dry here, and I am wondering if the tree is dying or just stressed.
We've been watering it regularly.

Sorry that the photo needs rotating.

http://www.freewebs.com/jcman01/p1010165.jpg

I see blacktop and a dogwood. The two do not belong together. Dogwoods live
under bigger trees, in leafy humus that never gets hot. It's not so easy to
duplicate that environment at home. Go to this web site:
http://extension.umd.edu/

See if they have a list of recommended trees for YOUR city, and specifically
for the spot you'll plant the tree. If you don't see a resource like that,
call the extension service. Most of these services offer free (and very
accurate) garden advice for homeowners.

Old 22-08-2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Buck Turgidson" wrote in message
I have a dogwood here in the DC area that is about 9 months old. It is
very dry here, and I am wondering if the tree is dying or just stressed.
We've been watering it regularly.

Sorry that the photo needs rotating.

http://www.freewebs.com/jcman01/p1010165.jpg

By the way, before you spend money on another tree, you might want to
consult one of the best resources that's ever existed, specific to the DC
area. I'm referring to two books by the late Henry Mitchell, garden writer
for the Washington Post. "The Essential Earthman" and "One Man's Garden".
Your library is sure to have them. If not, you will not regret buying them
both. They're a pleasure to read.

One of his better ideas is that sometimes, we think we want a small tree,
when in fact, what's better on smaller properties is a large shrub. He
provides plenty of suggestions.

Old 22-08-2006, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

By the way, before you spend money on another tree, you might want to
consult one of the best resources that's ever existed, specific to the DC
area. I'm referring to two books by the late Henry Mitchell, garden writer
for the Washington Post. "The Essential Earthman" and "One Man's Garden".
Your library is sure to have them. If not, you will not regret buying them
both. They're a pleasure to read.

One of his better ideas is that sometimes, we think we want a small tree,
when in fact, what's better on smaller properties is a large shrub. He
provides plenty of suggestions.

Thanks. I think I remember Henry Mitchell. I'll pick up his book.

Old 23-08-2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

By the way, before you spend money on another tree, you might want to
consult one of the best resources that's ever existed, specific to the DC
area. I'm referring to two books by the late Henry Mitchell, garden
writer for the Washington Post. "The Essential Earthman" and "One Man's
Garden". Your library is sure to have them. If not, you will not regret
buying them both. They're a pleasure to read.

One of his better ideas is that sometimes, we think we want a small tree,
when in fact, what's better on smaller properties is a large shrub. He
provides plenty of suggestions.

Thanks. I think I remember Henry Mitchell. I'll pick up his book.

Get both, but don't tell your wife about them. Hide them, like kids hiding
Playboy magazines. When you start picking out plants that are a stroke of
genius, she'll be amazed. :-)

Old 23-08-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

I was afraid you were going to show a picture of a tree infected with
anthracnose. That seems to not be the case. Look over this site:
http://soilplantlab.missouri.edu/pla...es/dogwood.htm

Well his may not have anthracnose but mine does here in Lancaster
County PA. I thought mine was just stress.

What should I do about the disease?

Jim

Old 24-08-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

How much is regularly? Dogwoods are understory trees that do not like
to be planted in the open in the middle of a blacktop driveway. You
answered your own question when you mentioned that is is very dry
there.

Buck Turgidson wrote:
I have a dogwood here in the DC area that is about 9 months old. It is very
dry here, and I am wondering if the tree is dying or just stressed. We've
been watering it regularly.

Sorry that the photo needs rotating.

http://www.freewebs.com/jcman01/p1010165.jpg

[IMG] code is On

Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Salty Thumb Gardening 0 15-04-2004 02:32 AM
Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Janice Gardening 0 15-04-2004 01:02 AM
Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime - Med.JPG [01/27] Dogwood Slime - Medium - Dogwood Slime Lynne Gardening 0 14-04-2004 04:32 PM
Stressed out Fish Judy Ponds 0 10-07-2003 03:53 AM
Why my Pink Dogwood Tree is Dying? animaux Gardening 6 02-05-2003 01:56 PM