Old 23-08-2006, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default NW weeds

Is there anyone in the Pacific Northwest who has had those weeds in
their yard that look like dandelions, and succesfully gotten rid of
them for good, and if so, how?

Old 23-08-2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there anyone in the Pacific Northwest who has had those weeds in
their yard that look like dandelions, and succesfully gotten rid of
them for good, and if so, how?

Those weeds you have that look like dandelions are, in all probability,
dandelions. If all the neighbors within about a twenty five mile radius
don't also get rid of theirs, you'll most likely never eliminate yours.
Napalm is only good for a season or two and Agent Orange is pretty much off
the market. Just keep on pulling and do it before they go to seed.

Val

Old 26-08-2006, 08:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Val" writes:
wrote in message
roups.com...
Is there anyone in the Pacific Northwest who has had those weeds in
their yard that look like dandelions, and succesfully gotten rid of
them for good, and if so, how?

A focussed spray of Zero onto broadleaf weeds does the trick. Within
10 days you'll have unsightly patches of browned off weeds everywhere,
two weeks later they'll have disappeared and the lawn will have closed
over.

Those weeds you have that look like dandelions are, in all probability,
dandelions. If all the neighbors within about a twenty five mile radius
don't also get rid of theirs, you'll most likely never eliminate yours.

Too true. The little two-pronged fork with a "bulge" on its back is ideal
for levering real dandelions out of a lawn. With one deft rocking motion
the whole plant comes out. Very satisfying!

Napalm is only good for a season or two and Agent Orange is pretty much off
the market. Just keep on pulling and do it before they go to seed.

Dandelions in the lawn are frequently an indicator that your soil in that
area is badly compacted and/or poorly drained.

I know the OP asked about the weeds that only look like dandelions, and
yes we have them here in Australia.
Old 26-08-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

snip.

I know the OP asked about the weeds that only look like dandelions, and
yes we have them here in Australia.

What are the weeds that look like dandelions?
Yellow Goatsbeard (Tragopogon pratensis)????
Thanks

Old 27-08-2006, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

If it looks like a dandelion or smells like a dandelion it can be
removed by a weed twister. The weed twister and several other
back-saving weed removal tools are identified at the World of Weeds at
Ergonica.com.

You can save the weed, save your back, or have your cake and eat it
too! (Too many choices?)

snip.

Old 27-08-2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Val wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there anyone in the Pacific Northwest who has had those weeds in
their yard that look like dandelions, and succesfully gotten rid of
them for good, and if so, how?

Those weeds you have that look like dandelions are, in all probability,
dandelions. If all the neighbors within about a twenty five mile radius
don't also get rid of theirs, you'll most likely never eliminate yours.
Napalm is only good for a season or two and Agent Orange is pretty much off
the market. Just keep on pulling and do it before they go to seed.

We do have a few dandelions, and these other weeds look different, and
I notice them in many other yards in the NW area. I have pulled them,
but new ones pop up now and then, sometimes in mass qantities. I also
used a weed killer spray, which also worked, but again, they just come
back. I'm thinking now maybe by killing/pulling them AND doing more to
get the grass to proliferate, the grass will take over eventually, but
other than water and fertilize, I don't know if there is anything else
that will help that cause.

Val

Old 28-08-2006, 12:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Get your favorite long-handled tool in your hands, and work, work,
work!

Do it every day!

It's good exercise.

Google "weed tools" for options, if you don't already have a goot set
of tools.

wrote:
Val wrote:
oups.com...

Old 28-08-2006, 03:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Is there anyone in the Pacific Northwest who has had those weeds in
their yard that look like dandelions, and succesfully gotten rid of
them for good, and if so, how?

I suspect what you have may be Hieracium spp., hawkweeds. Do they have
long stems on the "flowers"? If so, see:
http://
http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfp/publica..._R3-June06.pdf

Easiest control in small areas seems to be to pull them as soon as the
rains start, and reseed with good quality lawn seed.

[IMG] code is On

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
weeds? Pam Gardening 16 25-03-2003 03:20 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM