Old 02-09-2006, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Tomatoe questions

Here it is September, and most of my tomatoes are still green. The cherry
toms are just now starting to ripen, the rest are big and green. Is this
normal?

Secondly, my toms are still blooming. The blossoms being produced today will
probably not live long enough to ripen before the frost, should I clip the
branches that are blooming so that the plant puts strength into existing
fruit? Or just leave it alone?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com
delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam says...
Here it is September, and most of my tomatoes are still green. The cherry
toms are just now starting to ripen, the rest are big and green. Is this
normal?

Here in Zone 5 Chicago we start getting red tomatoes around the
beginning of August. I've been harvesting, eating, and giving away
tomatoes all month. The plants peaked about a week ago and now my patch
seems to be in a lull with lots and lots and lots of green tomatoes
waiting on the branches. It might have been the rain or sudden change
in weather that caused them to stall but if the green ones start to
ripen, and we usually have good weather all throughout September, I
expect another wave to start in less than a week.

Secondly, my toms are still blooming. The blossoms being produced today will
probably not live long enough to ripen before the frost, should I clip the
branches that are blooming so that the plant puts strength into existing
fruit? Or just leave it alone?

Opinions vary on this but I just leave them be and let nature take its
course. IMHO, unless you're a botanist and really understand what
you're doing you'll probably end up making things worse. That's why I
don't prune in June anymore.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
Here it is September, and most of my tomatoes are still green. The cherry
toms are just now starting to ripen, the rest are big and green. Is this
normal?

Secondly, my toms are still blooming. The blossoms being produced today
will probably not live long enough to ripen before the frost, should I
clip the branches that are blooming so that the plant puts strength into
existing fruit? Or just leave it alone?

Any idea where you live? That would be useful information.

Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote in message
Here it is September, and most of my tomatoes are still green. The cherry
toms are just now starting to ripen, the rest are big and green. Is this
normal?

Secondly, my toms are still blooming. The blossoms being produced today
will probably not live long enough to ripen before the frost, should I
clip the branches that are blooming so that the plant puts strength into
existing fruit? Or just leave it alone?

Any idea where you live? That would be useful information.

Heh - I keep forgetting that, sorry :P. I live in Lebanon, Oregon, 97355.
About 25 miles SSE from Salem, Oregon. In the middle of the Willamette
Valley.

Old 07-09-2006, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

I'm in the same boat. I'm in Northeast Massachusetts. Supposedly its
hardiness zone 7, but I must have a separate zone in my yard - everything
blooms at least two weeks later than around the neighborhood.

My tomatoes are green and still growing, even the grape tomatoes. I did
pinch off the tops of the plants to stop new growth there. Otherwise, am
thinking I'll have to develop a taste for green tomatoes.

Adelle

Old 08-09-2006, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

I also live in Chicago area. Had the worst tomatoe plants ever this
year. They were short and very thin. We got tomatoes but not large or
near as many as previous years.
I really can't rotate location of plants. I put most of my mulched
leaves on top of the garden last year and tilled them in this spring.
What should I do to prepare for next springs tomatoe crop?