Old 12-09-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default prepairing hydrangeas to move

Live near Chicago.
I bought two hydrangeas plants and put them in big pots next to my front
stairs.
Sun till noon.

I'd like to plant them into the ground so they come back in spring.
Can I do this?
How should I do this?
They are doing well in these big planter pots, but far too heavy to move.

The degree of technical competence is inversely proportional to the level of
management.

Bill H. in Chicagoland
webcams at http://24.14.49.4:8080
weather at http://hhweather.webhop.org

Old 12-09-2006, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
Live near Chicago.
I bought two hydrangeas plants and put them in big pots next to my front
stairs.
Sun till noon.

I'd like to plant them into the ground so they come back in spring.
Can I do this?
How should I do this?
They are doing well in these big planter pots, but far too heavy to move.

In the order you asked:

1) Yes, you can do this. Hydrangeas belong in the ground.

2) How?
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/trees/430-295/430-295.html
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/lw_lan...276146,00.html

3) Too heavy to move? You'll have to move them at least a little to plant
them in the ground. Teenagers usually consider themselves impoverished. Hire
one as extra muscle. Hydrangeas are pretty tough plants, but if yours are
too heavy for you to manage, you'll rough them up trying to do it yourself.

Be sure you really want the plants in whatever spots you choose. They can
grow quite large, wide tough, wide-ranging thick roots. Removing them can be
a real bitch. Also, get a soil test kit from a garden center and check the
pH. They like acid soil, and will produce nicer colored flowers when the pH
is correct. The wrong pH generally won't kill them, but the flowers and
leaves will look pretty blah.

Old 13-09-2006, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

thank you.
I was hoping you'd saw that and by 'too heavy' I mean the pots where too
heavy to move inside if the cold was an issue.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
. ..

Old 13-09-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cold *could* be an issue with pots, even for plants that will survive
horrendous winters in the ground. You definitely want to get them out of the
pots before winter, and this is a perfect time of year to do it. Just follow
planting instructions, and do NOT be cheap when it comes to preparing the
hole with composted manure. The plants are going to live in those holes for
a long time. You need to give them a good start.

"FireBrick" wrote in message
thank you.
I was hoping you'd saw that and by 'too heavy' I mean the pots where too
heavy to move inside if the cold was an issue.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
. ..

Old 18-09-2006, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

thanks for your reply
They went into the ground this morning.
I had composted manure in the pot and also had extra that I put into the
hole.

Also a good sprinkling of 'Vigiro' acid loving plant food.
I usually have a 'brown' thumb....so will hope for the best.

"FireBrick" wrote in message
thank you.
I was hoping you'd saw that and by 'too heavy' I mean the pots where too
heavy to move inside if the cold was an issue.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
. ..

Old 18-09-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Don't do anything that might cause new growth at this time. It might be
damaged by frost. Once these plants are established, they're usually tough
as nails. But, not now.

. ..

"FireBrick" wrote in message
thank you.
I was hoping you'd saw that and by 'too heavy' I mean the pots where too
heavy to move inside if the cold was an issue.

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"FireBrick" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Comfrey -- to move or not move... FragileWarrior Gardening 7 16-08-2007 03:27 AM
hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM