Old 17-09-2006, 11:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default re Mulching

I have seen several lovely homes in our area and they seem to have a
dark mulch around their trees
and flower beds.

Does this truly keep the weeds down?
Should we mulch in the Fall or Spring?

Bette

Old 17-09-2006, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bette wrote:

I have seen several lovely homes in our area and they seem to have a
dark mulch around their trees
and flower beds.

Does this truly keep the weeds down?
Should we mulch in the Fall or Spring?

Bette

Mulching can help keep the weeds down due to cutting down on the light,
but is best if an anti weed membrane is used undernieth. In the end
weeds will grow anywhere and can start from seeds spread by wind,
insects & birds. It is however a lot easier to pull out weeds in the
mulch compared to soil, as they are less likely to break off and
regrow. If you are trying to be cost effective try using bin bags with
tiny drain holes in them. I have used expensive membrane that some
weeds actuall grew through. Not sure best time to mulch as I bough it
in a massive bag from a farm.

Stu
http://www.cateringappliancesltd.co.uk

Old 17-09-2006, 12:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 17 Sep 2006 03:28:29 -0700, "Bette" wrote:

I have seen several lovely homes in our area and they seem to have a
dark mulch around their trees
and flower beds.

Does this truly keep the weeds down?

Yes! It also conserves water and adds nutrients (if the mulch is an
organic mulch.)

Should we mulch in the Fall or Spring?

Doesn't matter. Do not pile mulch against the bark as this can cause
disease. Some mulch can be stinky so it might be better to mulch in
the season that windows are closed.

Bette

Old 17-09-2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

Phisherman wrote:
On 17 Sep 2006 03:28:29 -0700, "Bette" wrote:

I have seen several lovely homes in our area and they seem to have a
dark mulch around their trees
and flower beds.

Does this truly keep the weeds down?

Yes! It also conserves water and adds nutrients (if the mulch is an
organic mulch.)

Should we mulch in the Fall or Spring?

Doesn't matter. Do not pile mulch against the bark as this can cause
disease. Some mulch can be stinky so it might be better to mulch in
the season that windows are closed.

Thank you both for wonderful hints. This is so much more helpful than
googling.
Bette
My husband thanks you too

Old 17-09-2006, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
"Bette" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
On 17 Sep 2006 03:28:29 -0700, "Bette" wrote:

I have seen several lovely homes in our area and they seem to have a
dark mulch around their trees
and flower beds.

Does this truly keep the weeds down?

Yes! It also conserves water and adds nutrients (if the mulch is an
organic mulch.)

Should we mulch in the Fall or Spring?

Doesn't matter. Do not pile mulch against the bark as this can cause
disease. Some mulch can be stinky so it might be better to mulch in
the season that windows are closed.

Thank you both for wonderful hints. This is so much more helpful than
googling.
Bette
My husband thanks you too

Also good to keep mulch away from your house a foot or two. Termites
like a direct connection to the earth. Deprive them.

Bill who lets wood chips rot and then walks on them as a path then adds
to our flower beds. Time and energy and chips = soil. Magic ; ))

--
S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 17-09-2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

William Wagner wrote:
In article .com,
"Bette" wrote:

Phisherman wrote:
[...]

Ah yes, termites. horrors
We live in Pa I will have to check my zone.
This year I purchsed several hanging pots and had them hung on those
black
metal thingies with two places for a vining Geranium.

Also I have found that my impatience did well, as long as I watered,
not letting them dry out.
I use Miracle Grow.
Any suggestions as to what might be more effective.

Our neighbor uses liquid manuer. Actually it comes in a power form
then water is added,
smelling just as gross. But, the plants have doubled in size. What a
garden she has.
Thanks for your info.
Bette

Old 18-09-2006, 04:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bette" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have seen several lovely homes in our area and they seem to have a
dark mulch around their trees
and flower beds.

Does this truly keep the weeds down?
Should we mulch in the Fall or Spring?

It keeps weeds down, doesn't eliminate them, even with landscape fabric
underneath. The weeding is minimal though compared to my unmulched areas.
There's another benefit that people sometimes overlook and that's the
moisture protection. I water my mulched beds once a week and my unmulched
plantings every other day.

--
Tara

Old 18-09-2006, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

scfundogs wrote:
"Bette" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have seen several lovely homes in our area and they seem to have a
dark mulch around their trees
and flower beds.

Does this truly keep the weeds down?
Should we mulch in the Fall or Spring?

It keeps weeds down, doesn't eliminate them, even with landscape fabric
underneath. The weeding is minimal though compared to my unmulched areas.
There's another benefit that people sometimes overlook and that's the
moisture protection. I water my mulched beds once a week and my unmulched
plantings every other day.
Tara

Thanks Tara. We have well water, would that cause a problem?
bette

Old 18-09-2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bette" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks Tara. We have well water, would that cause a problem?

I don't know why it would. I was just remarking that mulch saves me time &
money (I'm on city water) in lowering the frequency that I have to water my
plants.

-
Tara

Old 18-09-2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

scfundogs wrote:
"Bette" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks Tara. We have well water, would that cause a problem?

I don't know why it would. I was just remarking that mulch saves me time &
money (I'm on city water) in lowering the frequency that I have to water my
plants.

-
Tara

We have a system that removes the bacteria. That was probably a silly
question on my part.
Thanks.
b.

[IMG] code is On

Mulching in North Carolina Steve Bouton Gardening 3 03-12-2003 12:33 AM
The importance of Mulching GardeningGuy Gardening 7 18-06-2003 03:56 PM
gum leaves mulching and fast break down PITS Australia 1 01-05-2003 12:20 AM
tree...mulching cn Texas 0 14-04-2003 10:08 PM
Need desperate help - need to find Seed Aide mulching granules ASAP!!! BillC Gardening 0 06-04-2003 07:08 AM