Old 18-09-2006, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mushrooms I dont want

Can anybody advise me I have a very sunny south facing garden all lawn
over the last few days it has been infested with small 2" tall white
mushroom/toadstools they form in patches about 3 feet across. HOW DO I
STOP THEM FROM GROWING!

Help

Old 18-09-2006, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise me I have a very sunny south facing garden all lawn
over the last few days it has been infested with small 2" tall white
mushroom/toadstools they form in patches about 3 feet across. HOW DO I
STOP THEM FROM GROWING!

Help

You don't. You go read a book, and the mushrooms will go away all by
themselves. They are not a problem.

Old 18-09-2006, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Sean" wrote in message
oups.com...
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

"Sean" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody advise me I have a very sunny south facing garden all lawn
over the last few days it has been infested with small 2" tall white
mushroom/toadstools they form in patches about 3 feet across. HOW DO I
STOP THEM FROM GROWING!

Help

You don't. You go read a book, and the mushrooms will go away all by
themselves. They are not a problem.

You mst be a mushroom lover/smoker

Oh. I get it. Anyone who has knowledge that you don't must automatically be
on drugs. That makes perfect sense.

If you've never noticed the life cycle of a bunch of mushrooms, you must be
a brand new homeowner. Try observing before trying to find a magical
solution for everything.

Old 18-09-2006, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sean wrote:
Can anybody advise me I have a very sunny south facing garden all lawn
over the last few days it has been infested with small 2" tall white
mushroom/toadstools they form in patches about 3 feet across. HOW DO I
STOP THEM FROM GROWING!

Help

Some things that might stop them.

1 Stop watering your lawn

2 Make the rain stop

3 Dig the area up & remove all traces of any wood, be it construction
debris, tree branches, old roots, etc. Mushrooms thrive on buried
rotting wood.

All three options will basically ruin your existing grass.

Cutting your grass a bit shorter than normal *might* help, allowing the
sun to dry the soil more quickly. Unfortunately this is also not too
good for the lawn.

I've heard a golf club is a somewhat entertaining way to remove them (grin)

Old 18-09-2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sean wrote:
Can anybody advise me I have a very sunny south facing garden all lawn
over the last few days it has been infested with small 2" tall white
mushroom/toadstools they form in patches about 3 feet across. HOW DO I
STOP THEM FROM GROWING!

Help

With a 5-iron. HTH ;-)

Bob
Old 18-09-2006, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

The lawn has been laid over a huge amount of debris left by the
builders of this new house I also believe this may contain Laurel
Bushes and similar. your answer makes very good sense.

Thanks

Old 18-09-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Sean wrote:
The lawn has been laid over a huge amount of debris left by the
builders of this new house I also believe this may contain Laurel
Bushes and similar. your answer makes very good sense.

Ah yes, the classic new home construction type soil. I unfortunately
know that kind of soil all too well. Expect mushrooms for quite a few
years to come.

They are a somewhat good sign, as they indicate good natural processes
are going on underground to help the old wood decompose.

I went out with my string trimmer yesterday. We had had about a week
with rain almost every day, and the grass was very tall, still fairly
wet, and had lots of mushrooms of all shapes & forms. The weedwacker
made short work of them, and splattered me with mushroom muck on
numerous occasions.

David in MD zone 7