Old 19-09-2006, 12:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Overseeding

Hi all I am thinking about doing some overseeding this fall.

I live in mid Maryland. My question is can I use a preemergence next
spring to fight crab grass

Old 19-09-2006, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

You can overseed and use pre-emergent at the same time... but overseeding
for fall, then applying after the grass has come in, is fine.
Here, we need to apply pre-emergent no later than the end of January.
Here's the link to the cooperative ext in Maryland
http://extension.umd.edu/gardening/index.cfm
Great source of info
Nicole in CA

Old 19-09-2006, 10:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 19:28:10 -0400, Keith Corwell wrote:
Hi all I am thinking about doing some overseeding this fall.

I live in mid Maryland. My question is can I use a preemergence next
spring to fight crab grass

Overseed now; fertilize properly now and next spring, and don't scalp
the grass when you mow. Then you won't need pre-emergent crabgrass herbicide.

Old 19-09-2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi all I am thinking about doing some overseeding this fall.

I live in mid Maryland. My question is can I use a preemergence next
spring to fight crab grass

Yes. Before you overseed it is best to de-thatch if needed. Lightly
rake the seed into the grass. If the seed sets on top of the grass it
won't germinate, rots, or is eaten by birds. Mow close to the ground,
pick up clippings, and use a starter fertilizer the day you seed.
Overseeding will give you a thicker lawn with fewer weeds, less
crabgrass.
Old 19-09-2006, 11:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

I don't know how cold it gets there in the winter, but here in Kansas it get
below zero F several times a year. My preemergent has always said to use
after the last freeze.

I used to live in Arkansas, and the gardner that came on TV said the in the
spring the crabgrass would always sprout earlier than when the good grass
did. There was about a 2 week period that you could spray the grass with
roundup, kill the crabgrass, and leave the good stuff alone.

There is also a product called "over the top" that kills crabgrass. It is
best to use it when the crabgrass is small and it wont kill your other good
plants. It is rather expensive and it takes nearly 10 days to two weeks to
see the results. I sprayed it into my iris and got rid of a lot of
crabgrass, but 3 of my iris died also. Don't know if it was the Over the
top, or something else. It didn't bother the other 30 iris, but these three
were the oldest I had, not hybrids. I think it is made by Ferti.lome.

Dwayne

Old 20-09-2006, 04:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dwayne" wrote in message
[...]

One other thing I forgot to tell you about the over the top, it will kill
the good grass if you wait until it is up, or you dont take care while
spraying it on. It is great for spraying around the base of a fence that
you want the grass away from.

Dwayne

"Keith Corwell" wrote in message
Hi all I am thinking about doing some overseeding this fall.

I live in mid Maryland. My question is can I use a preemergence next
spring to fight crab grass

[IMG] code is On

Does overseeding work? [email protected] Lawns 15 01-06-2003 03:08 PM
Overseeding procedure Dave Lawns 1 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Does overseeding work? [email protected] Gardening 2 14-04-2003 11:44 PM
Overseeding and Weed and Feed Keith Corwell Gardening 6 10-04-2003 03:32 PM
Overseeding procedure Dave Lawns 1 14-03-2003 02:44 AM