Old 23-09-2006, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What am I looking for?

OK, this is a long shot....

I'm trying to find the proper name for a plant that I saw some time ago...

It was called a "chinese dragon plant" but alas Google has not heard of
any such plant.

It was a hedge type plant, perhaps 2-3 feet high. I don't recall what
the leaves, if any, looked like.

Its most prominent features were the thorns. It sprouted an evil
looking, curved thorn about 1" or 1 1/2" long every few inches of stem.
When it did, the stem bent sharply in an apparently random direction.

I was told this plant was grown in China as a protective hedge, and from
its wicked appearance, I believe it.

In spite of its ferocious nature it was very graceful and I would love
to get one, but I can't find it....

Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be?
Old 23-09-2006, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

CptDondo wrote:
OK, this is a long shot....

I'm trying to find the proper name for a plant that I saw some time ago...

It was called a "chinese dragon plant" but alas Google has not heard of
any such plant.

It was a hedge type plant, perhaps 2-3 feet high. I don't recall what
the leaves, if any, looked like.

Its most prominent features were the thorns. It sprouted an evil
looking, curved thorn about 1" or 1 1/2" long every few inches of stem.
When it did, the stem bent sharply in an apparently random direction.

I was told this plant was grown in China as a protective hedge, and from
its wicked appearance, I believe it.

In spite of its ferocious nature it was very graceful and I would love
to get one, but I can't find it....

Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

Your description reminds me a plant I've heard called a 'geometry
tree' or a 'zigzag plant'. Try a search for decaryia madagascariensis
and see if that's what you're looking for.

Tracey

Old 23-09-2006, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

"CptDondo" wrote in message
OK, this is a long shot....

I'm trying to find the proper name for a plant that I saw some
time ago...

It was called a "chinese dragon plant" but alas Google has not
heard of any such plant.

It was a hedge type plant, perhaps 2-3 feet high. I don't
recall what the leaves, if any, looked like.

Its most prominent features were the thorns. It sprouted an
evil looking, curved thorn about 1" or 1 1/2" long every few
inches of stem. When it did, the stem bent sharply in an
apparently random direction.

I was told this plant was grown in China as a protective hedge,
and from its wicked appearance, I believe it.

In spite of its ferocious nature it was very graceful and I
would love to get one, but I can't find it....

Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be?

Try a search with "Poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon" and see if
that's what you're looking for. Commonly used as a dwarfing
rootstock for citrus, it also is a stunningly thorny ornamental
and is naturalized in some areas. Hardy to below 0, it is well
suited for many climates. Hope this helps,
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63

Old 25-09-2006, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Elizabeth wrote:

Try a search with "Poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon" and see if
that's what you're looking for. Commonly used as a dwarfing
rootstock for citrus, it also is a stunningly thorny ornamental
and is naturalized in some areas. Hardy to below 0, it is well
suited for many climates. Hope this helps,

That's it!

I must have seen it in its winter state... I don't recall the leaves or
fruit at all.

Thanks!

--Yan
Old 29-09-2006, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 9/23/06 12:14 AM, in article kw2Rg.215$XX2.1@dukeread04, "Elizabeth"
wrote:

"Poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon

That is wild looking!

Thanks
Cheryl

Old 29-09-2006, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon

That is wild looking!

Now you know why I want one.... I've been missing my madagascar palm
and I want something else weird and wild....

Here's a pic from OSU.... :-)

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/potriffd5.htm
Old 29-09-2006, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Poncirus trifoliata Flying Dragon

That is wild looking!

Now you know why I want one.... I've been missing my madagascar palm
and I want something else weird and wild....

Here's a pic from OSU.... :-)

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/potriffd5.htm
It is way to cold here for that (and I really don't have room for it during
the winter). Good luck getting one!

Cheryl