Old 28-09-2006, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Basic insect spray

Hello- I am new here posting this week. I live in the near East Bay area
of SF, and have a few little flying things that light on the new growth
of my small leafed ivy, and fuschias, possibly other planst, and lay
eggs. The spray I have is 99% water and 1% petroleum product, but cost a
fortune! If there isn't something that's miles better, I'd just as soon
mix my own. What'd be safe and what'd be harmful?

There are no pets nor children around.

--
John McWilliams
Old 29-09-2006, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
Hello- I am new here posting this week. I live in the near East Bay area
of SF, and have a few little flying things that light on the new growth of
my small leafed ivy, and fuschias, possibly other planst, and lay eggs.
The spray I have is 99% water and 1% petroleum product, but cost a
fortune! If there isn't something that's miles better, I'd just as soon
mix my own. What'd be safe and what'd be harmful?

There are no pets nor children around.

--
John McWilliams

I use an old windex bottle, fill with water and a dash of your favorite
detergent and spritz away!

Betsy

Old 29-09-2006, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
Hello- I am new here posting this week. I live in the near East Bay area
of SF, and have a few little flying things that light on the new growth of
my small leafed ivy, and fuschias, possibly other planst, and lay eggs.
The spray I have is 99% water and 1% petroleum product, but cost a
fortune! If there isn't something that's miles better, I'd just as soon
mix my own. What'd be safe and what'd be harmful?

There are no pets nor children around.

--
John McWilliams

What kind of insect is it? And other than laying eggs, is it harming
anything? Why do you believe it needs to be eliminated?

Old 29-09-2006, 06:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
Hello- I am new here posting this week. I live in the near East Bay area
of SF, and have a few little flying things that light on the new growth of
my small leafed ivy, and fuschias, possibly other planst, and lay eggs.
The spray I have is 99% water and 1% petroleum product, but cost a
fortune! If there isn't something that's miles better, I'd just as soon
mix my own. What'd be safe and what'd be harmful?

There are no pets nor children around.

--
John McWilliams

What kind of insect is it?

If I knew its name or genus, I would have stated.

And other than laying eggs, is it harming anything?

Yes.
Why do you believe it needs to be eliminated?

Because it's harming something.

Have you a recommendation other than I ignore it?

--
lsmft

Old 29-09-2006, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

You can use a soap spray and just a spray bottle.

Marc
fruit-tree.com nursery
Visit us at http://www.fruit-tree.com
Our motto: "Preservation by dissemination"

Old 29-09-2006, 11:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

All you said is "laying eggs". What else is the insect doing? And, while
you're researching this, you may find that spraying with the hose will blast
the eggs away.

Old 29-09-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"John McWilliams" wrote in message
. ..
Hello- I am new here posting this week. I live in the near East Bay area
of SF, and have a few little flying things that light on the new growth of
my small leafed ivy, and fuschias, possibly other planst, and lay eggs.
The spray I have is 99% water and 1% petroleum product, but cost a
fortune! If there isn't something that's miles better, I'd just as soon
mix my own. What'd be safe and what'd be harmful?

You didn't say if these things are indoors or outdoors. In either case,
based on the way you described it, it could either be gnats or aphids. With
fungus gnats, especially with indoor plants, the easiest way to control them
is to reduce the moisture on the surface of the soil, and in the tray below
the pot, it's a bit harder to do this outside. But fungus gnats are more of
a nuisance then a harm.

Aphids have wings, can fly about, though rare, the safest way to control
them is dish soap + water +spray bottle.
Also make sure you also control the ant population, since Argentina ants
protect aphids from predators'. I've also been seeing a lot of grasshoppers
lately in the south bay.

It sounds like you've been using horticultural oil, or dormant oil. Consider
using something with a bit more oomph. If the last few days have been any
indication, fall is coming soon, and most of the bugs will die or go dormant
for the winter anyways.

-S

Old 29-09-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
[...]

Hose is my first effort, light oil/detergent spray next. This is in
small area, in hanging baskets on house. Not always easy to spray with
hose everyday as baskets have to be moved to do so.

Should have also mentioned mites, or aphids as a possibility. Something
is turning the new growth leaves very dark and somewhat shriveled. I
have a tiny garden, virtually everything in pots or planters in a space
no bigger than 2500 square feet, but it borders an uncultivated
hillside, and lots of trees, esp. Eucalyptus, surrounding me.

Thanks for your patience.

--
john mcwilliams