Old 05-10-2006, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default well once again, AOL has REALLY done it.........

Well, once again, AOL has REALLY done it..........last time they screwed
with things and "made things easier and more SPAM protection! WOO
HOO!!!!!" they effectively blocked out literally HUNDREDS, no,
THOUSANDS of incredible gardening friends on the newsgroups, especially
THIS ONE. I lost so many contacts with people I'd smoozed and written
to about gardening and such, over a period of about eight years. "The
other Marilyn", the list was extensive. And where I realized that some
people weren't inclined to even bother to get an alternative means to
subscribe to a newsgroup and even return, a lot of them DID. And that
was neat too. I only had to watch for them. Or they e-mailed me
directly and told me ?where did you go??? Other's honored me and said
they were more aggravated that they couldn't read some of my rambles
(blush, dragging toe in dirt) and were throwing in the trowel. Well,
yesterday it started. I had just gotten a message with a JPG attached
from Tomkanpa, asking me about a rhodie, and I did what I always did. I
just hit "reply" and answered his question, leaving in the jpg, and sent
it. I got back almost immediately a message of undeliverability, and
fatal errors and what not. No problem, they must be having a problem.
So I erased the jpg, simply replied, with text only and sent it and zip,
back again. undeliverable. alright.........they must just be having a
problem in the servers or providers, wait and they'll work out. Then
NEARTHMOM or Caryn e-mailed me yesterday and I got it fine, but when I
hit reply, I got another message of undeliverable and fatal error and
all that muck. hmmmm, yep, AOL. And now, someone who is extended
family, out in Colorado called last night in need of a recipe before she
left Saturday to see her mom, I complied and sent her the weblink, and
sure enough (yes, I didn't realize until I got it back what her e-mail
address WAS) her's was also AOL...................so now I have to wait
and CALL her (at least I have HER phone number. I don't have all the
wonderful folks phone numbers despite that I DO have some of their
addresses so I will have to individually snail mail them, which I
WILL........ya'll know me well enough that if there's a way, I'll find
it. And I'll tell them to contact AOL and ask about putting a few people
(me being one) on their "white list" which is what I just found out with
my wonderful technician who works at VIC down in Knoxville who is soooo
patient with me at times when I have technical problems). And start
writing little letters and print out a few copies and mail them out over
the next few days......hopefully AOL will see the error of their way
with having such a harsh and strict policy on SPAM and realize they
might have gone TOO far.

Cool and about to rain today, and change the weather to more fall like
around here. I'm working on a ramble, which I have been for the whole
season, and it's been hard, it really has. I'll send it soon, and I
hope everyone is fine out there. E-mail me if you wanna and I'll answer
you as I can, and catch you up.

It's leaf bag swiping time!
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking a hazy
and blue-ish English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone
36 where the leaves are turning, the poison ivy is a beautiful burgundy
crimson and the dogwoods are being stripped already of their bright red
berries...........
Old 06-10-2006, 06:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

(A)lways (O)ff (L)ine is nothing but a pile of B.S.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Sidewalk Astronomy
www.sidewalkastronomy.info
The Church of Eternity
http://home.inreach.com/starlord/church/Eternity.html

Old 06-10-2006, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 22:28:58 -0700, "Starlord"
wrote:

(A)lways (O)ff (L)ine is nothing but a pile of B.S.

They spread their quality to T(rouble) and W(oe), aka Time Warner.

TW just switched something, I used to be on Adelphia. They give us a
web site to find out how to make things work, the site says nothing
can be done until November. The news server doesn't accept the old
log-in. Eternal music and ads on hold on the phone.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 2006-10-05 10:12:14 -0400, madgardener said:

Well, once again, AOL has REALLY done it..........last time they
screwed with things and "made things easier and more SPAM protection!
WOO HOO!!!!!" they effectively blocked out literally HUNDREDS, no,
THOUSANDS of incredible gardening friends on the newsgroups, especially
THIS ONE.

And yet people STILL insist on using that POS service....go figure.....

Old 06-10-2006, 12:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"madgardener" wrote in message
Well, once again, AOL has REALLY done it..........

snip
......hopefully AOL will see the error of their way

AOL would have to accept that they make errors first. I have to ask why you
continue to use their service? I know people who are leg-shackled to their
interface and can't fathom using a standalone web browser so they'd rather
have alot of downtime and rules made for them, without their input, than to
break free. Freedom is a good thing.

--
Tara

Old 06-10-2006, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

WHY DON'T YOU MOVE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO A DIFFERENT PROVIDER? AOL IS
EXPENSIVE, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICES IS AS WORSE AS NONE OTHER, AND THEIR
RECORD IS NOT THAT GOOD.... gloria

Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill" wrote in message

I don't think Maddie uses AOL. It's the persons she's trying to get
to that are on AOL.

Good catch, my error.

--
Tara

Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

scfundogs wrote:
"madgardener" wrote in message
Well, once again, AOL has REALLY done it..........

snip
......hopefully AOL will see the error of their way

AOL would have to accept that they make errors first. I have to ask why you
continue to use their service? I know people who are leg-shackled to their
interface and can't fathom using a standalone web browser so they'd rather
have alot of downtime and rules made for them, without their input, than to
break free. Freedom is a good thing.

--
Tara

I DON'T use their services. there are still lots of my garden friends
who DO. I'm just aggravated when I can't even reply a TEXT message when
they send me a simple e-mail! I have subscribed to SuperNews to get all
my alt.binaries.pictures.gardens newsgroup, all of rec.gardens posts and
all of u.k. rec.gardening as well........costs me $5 a month, but well
worth it. I pay V.I.C. in Knoxville for my internet service, and pay
BellSouth for my ISDN line..........I'm FINE...
maddie
Old 06-10-2006, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

gloria wrote:
WHY DON'T YOU MOVE YOUR SUBSCRIPTION TO A DIFFERENT PROVIDER? AOL IS
EXPENSIVE, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICES IS AS WORSE AS NONE OTHER, AND THEIR
RECORD IS NOT THAT GOOD.... gloria

well, if I could suggest this to my many garden friends it would be up
to them..............ah well..........
I rest my case..............nuff said, and I'm outa here for the
weekend..........g
madgardener who wouldn't use AOL if they gave me five free years of
it................................................ ..............(not
even their free software that clogs up my mailbox is used for more than
returns to the landfill)

Old 07-10-2006, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

I use the AOL cd's out in my garden, I sick'm in the dirt at the edge of my
iris beds and most of the dogs,etc. don't go into the bed as they don't
known what is shineing light back at them.

Old 07-10-2006, 08:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Every time I get a new computer, the first thing I do is try and erase all
traces of AOL. Like the AID's virus, it is almost impossible to get rid of.
Even if I go into the file structure and erase everything with the AOL
label, it is still impossible to get rid of. Rumor AOL evolved from Langley,
VA., the home of the CIA. What a piece of CRAP. I have no idea what type of
trojans, spyware, shitware etc. it leqaves behind. Avoid it like the plague.
If anyone out there knows how to completely eradicade this garbage, please
let us know.

F.J.