Old 13-11-2006, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default bulbs deer won't eat

Other than daffodils, what other bulbs produce growth that deer won't eat?
I want to naturalize an area in my back yard, which borders a woods
overfilled with deer.

Alan

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564 and eComStation 1.21

Old 13-11-2006, 09:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
.net...
Other than daffodils, what other bulbs produce growth that deer won't eat?
I want to naturalize an area in my back yard, which borders a woods
overfilled with deer.
Alan

The deer didn't bother my crocuses at all, two years in a row. Your mileage
may vary, and it probably will.

Old 13-11-2006, 10:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Other than daffodils, what other bulbs produce growth that deer won't eat?
I want to naturalize an area in my back yard, which borders a woods
overfilled with deer.

Alan

daylilies make most lists of deer resistant plants. I got some several
weeks ago from
http://www.flynndaylilygardens.com/ very nice folks and
most helpful helping me pick varieties within a budget, The plants
didn't even wilt when I planted them!

I think some of the on-line nurseries have selections of deer resistant
plants listed, greenwood, etc.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 14-11-2006, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
hob hob is offline

wrote in message
.net...
Other than daffodils, what other bulbs produce growth that deer won't eat?
I want to naturalize an area in my back yard, which borders a woods
overfilled with deer.

They come to the sweet smell, and they eat anything sweet that doesn't hurt
their tongue.

Old 14-11-2006, 09:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Carl 1 Lucky Texan wrote:

daylilies make most lists of deer resistant plants. I got some several
weeks ago from http://www.flynndaylilygardens.com/ very nice folks and
most helpful helping me pick varieties within a budget, The plants
didn't even wilt when I planted them!

I think some of the on-line nurseries have selections of deer resistant
plants listed, greenwood, etc.

Carl

The deer in my woods must not be reading those lists
They seem to like my daylilies better than anything else I offer them.

Old 15-11-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

This may or may not help you, but when the rabbits ate my cabbage plants as
fast as I could plant them, I alternated a clove of garlic between each
plant. Haven't lost any since then and that has been about 7 years ago.

You might try it in your flower bed. You will get something good from them
and they are good for your roses (at least that is what my Companion
Gardening book says).

Dwayne

.net...

Old 16-11-2006, 02:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

just the clove of garlic?
did it sprout?

--

IF you are still republican................
http://www.petitiononline.com/mmflint/petition.html

"Dwayne" wrote in message
This may or may not help you, but when the rabbits ate my cabbage plants
as fast as I could plant them, I alternated a clove of garlic between each
plant. Haven't lost any since then and that has been about 7 years ago.

You might try it in your flower bed. You will get something good from
them and they are good for your roses (at least that is what my Companion
Gardening book says).

Dwayne

.net...

Old 18-11-2006, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Yes. I plant them in Sept if I want to harvest the garlic; and at the same
time I plant the other plants I am trying to protect. Plant them tiwh the
tip of the clove up and cover it with 1/2 to 1 inch of dirt.

Last year I harvested 53 heads of garlic.

Dwayne

"readandpostrosie" wrote in message
just the clove of garlic?
did it sprout?

--

"Dwayne" wrote in message
This may or may not help you, but when the rabbits ate my cabbage plants
as fast as I could plant them, I alternated a clove of garlic between
each plant. Haven't lost any since then and that has been about 7 years
ago.

You might try it in your flower bed. You will get something good from
them and they are good for your roses (at least that is what my Companion
Gardening book says).

Dwayne

.net...