Old 21-11-2006, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Boxwood indoors

I have a small, about 4 feet high Boxwood plant and was wondering, how easy
is it to grow cuttings from this
plant?

I thought maybe trying to start some indoor plants?

Old 22-11-2006, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 09:07:20 -0500, "Michael"
wrote:

I have a small, about 4 feet high Boxwood plant and was wondering, how easy
is it to grow cuttings from this
plant?

I thought maybe trying to start some indoor plants?

It's relatively easy, but now is not the time to do it unless there is
new, fresh green growth on the plant now. Trim off about four to six
inches and dip the end into rooting powder and keep the soiless mix
moist, not wet. Also, it should be kept warm.
Old 22-11-2006, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I have a small, about 4 feet high Boxwood plant and was wondering, how
easy
is it to grow cuttings from this
plant?

I thought maybe trying to start some indoor plants?

It's relatively easy, but now is not the time to do it unless there is
new, fresh green growth on the plant now. Trim off about four to six
inches and dip the end into rooting powder and keep the soiless mix
moist, not wet. Also, it should be kept warm.

I'm not sure I'd want indoor boxwood.. we have several in our front yard
and they have a tendency to smell like cat pee. Maybe it's just certain
varieties,
but the smell is really strong some days.

Old 22-11-2006, 11:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Why am I imagining your cat laughing to itself as you were writing that?

(I have a sick sense of humor).

Old 22-11-2006, 05:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

They probably are. (they're monsters). But we have indoor cats.
I thought for a while that maybe there were some neighborhood
cats that just loved our bushes, but I noticed that boxwoods in
other places smelled the same.
So I googled it, and found out the plant itself does smell like cat
pee. Again, I don't know if it's all varieties, or how strong the smell
would be indoors.. but our bushes are right outside our front door,
and it's definitely noticeable.

Old 22-11-2006, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Michael wrote:
I have a small, about 4 feet high Boxwood plant and was wondering, how easy
is it to grow cuttings from this
plant?

Pretty hard. I think it's possible, but you'd probably be better off
air-layering. Personally, I'd just buy one at Lowes or something, you
can get a small one for $4-5.

I thought maybe trying to start some indoor plants?

As far as I know, there is one kind of Boxwood that you can grow
inside: Buxus Harlandi. Most types need to go through dormancy in
the winter in order to live, and need cold temperatures for dormancy.

Old 22-11-2006, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 02:42:52 -0500, "amyky123"
wrote:

I'm not sure I'd want indoor boxwood.. we have several in our front yard
and they have a tendency to smell like cat pee. Maybe it's just certain
varieties,
but the smell is really strong some days.

I misread the original message. I thought this person wanted to root
cuttings, but I didn't realize it was for houseplants. If that's the
intention, boxwood will not thrive indoors.
Old 23-11-2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:36:35 -0500, "amyky123"
wrote:

[...]

So I googled it, and found out the plant itself does smell like cat
pee. Again, I don't know if it's all varieties,

buxus sempervirens suffruticosa

Genus: Buxus
Species: sempervirens
Cultivar: 'Suffruticosa'

Old 24-11-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

Holy cow! That explains it! I have several boxwoods around my yard
and have often thought I smelled cat pee around them, even though never
see a stray cat.

Jo Ann

wrote:

I'm not sure I'd want indoor boxwood.. we have several in our front yard
and they have a tendency to smell like cat pee. Maybe it's just certain
varieties,
but the smell is really strong some days.

[IMG] code is On

[IBC] spots on boxwood (was leaf borer on kingsville boxwood) Sam Williams Bonsai 0 30-04-2003 01:08 AM
[IBC] Boxwood propogation Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 03:56 PM
Boxwood propogation Allen Bonsai 0 27-03-2003 01:56 PM
[IBC] Boxwood - Indoors Craig Cowing Bonsai 4 27-03-2003 08:20 AM
Boxwood - Indoors Caught-Napping Bonsai 1 26-03-2003 04:44 PM