Old 22-01-2007, 08:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Moving daffodils

dig down, dig under them and move clumps. so dig something of a trench around the
area, then start under them, lifting and moving. since there is going to be a pond
anyway there is no wasted effort. BTW, a good use for the volume of dirt removed
from a pond is to make raised beds. Ingrid

davholla wrote:

I live in London UK and have just got a new house. Where I want to put
a pond there are loads of daffodils emerging. Can these be moved
safely ? If so how ?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 22-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered User

Old 22-01-2007, 02:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
davholla

With a shovel, if your soil is easy to work. Get at least 3-4 inches under
them, lift, and move. If you MUST do it now, while they're just emerging,
accept the fact that some might not survive. Otherwise, wait until blooming
is over and the foliage has begun to die down. I say "begun" because once
the foliage is gone, it'll obviously be more difficult to spot all of them.

Old 22-01-2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:50:44 +0000, davholla
wrote:

I live in London UK and have just got a new house. Where I want to put
a pond there are loads of daffodils emerging. Can these be moved
safely ? If so how ?

It can be done, but not recommended if you want them to bloom this and
next year. If planted right, they are at least six inches deep. If
you can get that whole clump, have the new holes dug and slip them
right into the new holes, water them, they may be just fine.

Worst case scenario is you won't get a bloom this year and probably
not next year.

The good news is daffodils are cheap and you can always buy more.
Old 22-01-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

I live in London UK and have just got a new house. Where I want to put
a pond there are loads of daffodils emerging. Can these be moved
safely ? If so how ?

Most of our daffodills are family heirlooms, simple and hardy. Here
if they get buried 4 inches they are lucky. Of course some of the
double types and different colors are about. It is nice that squirrels
and other critters can't eat em.

I dig em, shake em, split em and let them air dry sometimes. Then
plant and give em away.

Bill

PS never gave them plant food either.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade

Old 23-01-2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

davholla wrote:
I live in London UK and have just got a new house. Where I want to put
a pond there are loads of daffodils emerging. Can these be moved
safely ? If so how ?

I moved ALL my clumps of daffodils in spring after I moved to Eastern
Tennessee the previous late summer. Dig them in clumps with the soil
attached, like clods. Plant them in holes the same depth and they'll
never know they were moved. If you loosen the soil and expose the bulbs,
they won't bloom this year but will next. I moved ALL of my several
hundreds of bulbs in clumps and they kept growing and bloomed with NO
problems. The advice given is the best except they WILL bloom if you
dig deeply enough. Eight inches down or spade depth is best. Try not to
dislodge the soil and have your holes ready.
madgardener who has done this before many, many times, even moving
clumps from Mary Emma's that she didn't want and they were bud tight and
they STILL bloomed because I dug a clump instead of exposing the bulbs!

[IMG] code is On

LINDA WEST of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery and she likes to put peoples names on moving contracts without there Knowledge. Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage Movers & Relocation Dublin,ca & concord,ca 925) 876-7441, 925-887- vinkovci United Kingdom 1 11-10-2005 10:48 PM
MOVING-help w/ moving fish and temporary pond Judi9000 Ponds 9 25-05-2004 03:02 AM
Bluebird Houses & Daffodils Poking up was: What to do.... *grin* [email protected] North Carolina 8 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
Daffodils Mceezee Gardening 4 19-03-2003 09:08 AM
Daffodils Beachcomber United Kingdom 8 01-01-2003 04:30 AM