Old 01-02-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Penstemons in north Jersey

Is anyone growing Rocky Mountain Penstemons in New Jersey? I bought
some seeds from Park Seed but after I received them I read that they
don't do well in the northeast; that they're better for the arid West
regions. Park says they should grow okay here. I'm wondering if I
should exchange them or give it the old college try.

Thanks.
Doug

Old 01-02-2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is anyone growing Rocky Mountain Penstemons in New Jersey? I bought
some seeds from Park Seed but after I received them I read that they
don't do well in the northeast; that they're better for the arid West
regions. Park says they should grow okay here. I'm wondering if I
should exchange them or give it the old college try.

Thanks.
Doug

Whattya got to lose by trying? $3.00 ? Do your best to duplicate the
conditions they apparently like. For example, if they like dry-ish soil,
don't mulch them.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is anyone growing Rocky Mountain Penstemons in New Jersey? I bought
some seeds from Park Seed but after I received them I read that they
don't do well in the northeast; that they're better for the arid West
regions. Park says they should grow okay here. I'm wondering if I
should exchange them or give it the old college try.

Thanks.
Doug

I'd try them. Your yard may have a microclimate that's perfect for them.

Jacqui

Old 01-02-2007, 08:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Actually, they were only $2, but those two dollars could buy alot of
frustration! Sure I can try them. But I don't really have the time to
spend coaxing a plant to grow here if others (with more time) have
already tried and given up. I've already done that with perennials
that are SUPPOSED to grow here! Plus, Park said I could exchange them
if I want.

I'd like to hear from folks who have already tried them and hear what
they've found.

Doug

Old 01-02-2007, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Doug" wrote in message
oups.com...
Actually, they were only $2, but those two dollars could buy alot of
frustration! Sure I can try them. But I don't really have the time to
spend coaxing a plant to grow here if others (with more time) have
already tried and given up. I've already done that with perennials
that are SUPPOSED to grow here! Plus, Park said I could exchange them
if I want.

I'd like to hear from folks who have already tried them and hear what
they've found.

Doug

Gardening is all about dreams and accepting failures and disasters. Don't
coax them. Plant them and see what happens. If they require too much
attention, they'll die.

Having said that, Wayside Gardens site makes me think they'll do OK:
http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...&OfferCode=T3H

I checked both of Henry Mitchell's books and found nothing about penstemon.
You might like the books, though: The Essential Earthman and One Man's
Garden. He gardened in Washington DC, not THAT far from your climate. If you
follow a lot of his plant advice, you should be broke and living on the
street in no time at all. Too many good suggestions, never enough money.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 1, 7:09 am, "Doug" wrote:
Is anyone growing Rocky Mountain Penstemons in New Jersey? I bought
some seeds from Park Seed but after I received them I read that they
don't do well in the northeast; that they're better for the arid West
regions. Park says they should grow okay here. I'm wondering if I
should exchange them or give it the old college try.

Thanks.
Doug

Doug I have grown several penstemons. They are 'no fuss plants'
little or no fertilizer, little water, and no mulch. They do need
very good drainage- NO clay soil. They can be planted high and
on raised areas where drainage would be good. They would not
like a combination of lots of water and high humidity.
Rocky Mtn is one of the easiest to grow, and is longer lived than
some.
They are a most beautiful blue.
Take s look at HighCountry Gardens: www.highcountrygardens.com
they sell many penstemons and have some growing information
and hints.

Emilie
NorCal