Old 18-04-2003, 12:44 AM
chaz

Default Preen In Corn?

I shopped online for info on PREEN, which is supposed to control weeds. They
had no info on the site on particulars on the vegetable varieties you can
use it on.

So I go get a box and they have a NEW web site TONIGHT. It says not to use
it on sweet corn.

Has anyone used this on corn with success? IS there any way I could do this
without messing up the germination?

chaz-

Old 18-04-2003, 01:56 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:29:34 GMT, "chaz" wrote:

IS there any way I could do this
without messing up the germination?

messing up germination? sheesh, what about poisoning yor family?

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

Old 18-04-2003, 07:20 PM
chaz

Tom Jaszewski wrote in message . ..
On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:29:34 GMT, "chaz" wrote:

IS there any way I could do this
without messing up the germination?

messing up germination? sheesh, what about poisoning yor family?

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

I understand you to say you dont prefer chemical treatment in a
garden. As much as I understand that, there is little room for your
type of reply. If you have no experience with the product, refrain
from responding.
Old 18-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Garrapata

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:29:34 GMT, "chaz" wrote:

So I go get a box and they have a NEW web site TONIGHT. It says not to use
it on sweet corn.

Read the entire label, some restrictions only apply to certain states
but if the label says don't use it on sweet corn, then don't use it on
sweet corn.

Old 18-04-2003, 08:32 PM
zxcvbob

chaz wrote:
Tom Jaszewski wrote in message . ..

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:29:34 GMT, "chaz" wrote:

IS there any way I could do this
without messing up the germination?

messing up germination? sheesh, what about poisoning yor family?

"As crude a weapon as a cave man's club the chemical barrage has been hurled at the fabric of life."
Rachel Carson

I understand you to say you dont prefer chemical treatment in a
garden. As much as I understand that, there is little room for your
type of reply. If you have no experience with the product, refrain
from responding.

You don't know why the warning not to use on corn. Preen is a restricted
use herbicide. Not that it matters, but it is illegal to use it on corn,
just because the label says so. You have to assume that it can't be used
on corn because it is unsafe to do so.

I have no experience with the product; I don't need any experience with it
to know that you need to follow the label directions.

Regards,
Bob

--
Have a Windows® computer that is powered on for hours at a time? Join the
search for a cure for cancer: http://grid.org/projects/cancer/

Old 18-04-2003, 11:08 PM
animaux

Are you crazy? You would actually use a product which is toxic and labeled NOT
FOR USE ON VEGETABLES and then eat it? Wow. The mind boggles.

Old 19-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Pam

Let's not get carried away, folks! First, Preen is NOT a restricted use pesticide - it is a general use
pesticide that is readily available to homeowners for residential use. It has very low mammalian toxicity by both
oral, dermal and inhalation methods of exposure, nearly to the point of being nontoxic. Second, it IS registered
for use on many vegetables with a few restrictions, sweet corn, lettuce, spinach and beets among them. It does
have a rather long half life in the soil, so use in vegetables beds where you intend to direct sow is recommended
at least 10 weeks prior to seeding or at any time prior to setting out transplants.

While I am not a big proponent of chemical pesticides (quite the opposite, frankly), as herbicides go,
pre-emergents and Preen in general are relatively benign. Unless you apply well in excess of recommended
application rates, it is not even toxic to earthworms and other soil organisms - in fact, it is broken down by
soil organisms. It is quite toxic to fish and other aquatic species, so avoid using where runoff or leaching into
streams is possible. Let's at least attempt to get some of the facts straight before jumping into the fray with
major scare tactics.

pam - gardengal

Old 19-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 18:36:06 GMT, Garrapata
wrote:

Read the entire label, some restrictions only apply to certain states

Sure, if Iowa says it's not a poison then you'll only die if you use
it in Washington?

Old 19-04-2003, 03:44 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:19:22 GMT, Pam wrote:

it is a general use
pesticide that is readily available to homeowners for residential use.

gosh Pam how many quarts of Diazinon hundreds of r nurseries sell
under the same guise?

Old 19-04-2003, 04:08 AM
zxcvbob

Pam wrote:
Let's not get carried away, folks! First, Preen is NOT a restricted use pesticide - it is a general use
pesticide that is readily available to homeowners for residential use. It has very low mammalian toxicity by both
oral, dermal and inhalation methods of exposure, nearly to the point of being nontoxic. Second, it IS registered
for use on many vegetables with a few restrictions, sweet corn, lettuce, spinach and beets among them. It does
have a rather long half life in the soil, so use in vegetables beds where you intend to direct sow is recommended
at least 10 weeks prior to seeding or at any time prior to setting out transplants.

Oops. I used a technical term without double-checking the meaning. Sorry
about that.

You're right, it is a general use pesticide. What I meant is the label
restricts the usage and it is illegal to use a pesticide for an application
if the label tells you not to. But only a fool would use a pesticide
contrary to the label anyway.

I've allegedly to used outdoor formulations of Dursban in the house instead
of buying premixed indoor-use Dursban, so I guess that make me a fool too
(allegedly, of course).

Best regards,
Bob

Old 19-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Pam

Tom Jaszewski wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:19:22 GMT, Pam wrote:

it is a general use
pesticide that is readily available to homeowners for residential use.

gosh Pam how many quarts of Diazinon hundreds of r nurseries sell
under the same guise?

Gosh, Tom, do you think there is any difference between the two products? Come on, let's use some common
sense. There is just a tad bit of difference between an organophosphate neurotoxin and a seed
germination inhibitor.

Old 19-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Pam

Tom Jaszewski wrote:

On Sat, 19 Apr 2003 02:19:22 GMT, Pam wrote:

Let's at least attempt to get some of the facts straight

you do sell Preen?

No, but I can do research, read and not jump to unfounded conclusions.