Old 07-02-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sowing Grass Under an Oak Tree

I need to sow grass on a large area under an oak tree. While I'm at it I
want to over seed my entire front lawn. My question is what seeds, if any,
are best for areas in both shaded areas and areas in full sun?

I know autumn is the best time for over seeding, but I don't want to wait
that long. So other than waiting for fall, when would be the second best
time for doing the job?

I live in North Central Texas which is in zone 8.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 15:37:24 -0600, "Freckles"
wrote:

I need to sow grass on a large area under an oak tree. While I'm at it I
want to over seed my entire front lawn. My question is what seeds, if any,
are best for areas in both shaded areas and areas in full sun?

There are blends that contain sun and shade mixes. However, the area
under a tree is better suited for mulch or shade-loving groundcover.
Grasses really need some sun.

I know autumn is the best time for over seeding, but I don't want to wait
that long. So other than waiting for fall, when would be the second best
time for doing the job?

Spring. The seedlings will have to endure the harsh summer, so
depending on draughts, you may need to plan another overseeding in the
fall.

Old 08-02-2007, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

There is only one turfgrass which may survive and it's St. Augustine
sod, nothing else will do well in the TX summers. I say to find a
nice ground cover, drought tolerant, no grass. If you want to
overseed your lawn, I need more information. Do you want green grass
that needs mowing in winter? If so, use perennial rye, blue fescue,
and any of the cool season grasses. For me, it's not worth all the
watering expense.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

Freckles wrote:

I need to sow grass on a large area under an oak tree. While I'm at it I
want to over seed my entire front lawn. My question is what seeds, if any,
are best for areas in both shaded areas and areas in full sun?

I know autumn is the best time for over seeding, but I don't want to wait
that long. So other than waiting for fall, when would be the second best
time for doing the job?

I live in North Central Texas which is in zone 8.

Thanks

If you thin and raise the crown of the oak tree, St. Augustine may have
a chance.
But consider some groundcovers as said. Lamium, ajuga, whatever.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I need to sow grass on a large area under an oak tree. While I'm at it I
want to over seed my entire front lawn. My question is what seeds, if any,
are best for areas in both shaded areas and areas in full sun?

I know autumn is the best time for over seeding, but I don't want to wait
that long. So other than waiting for fall, when would be the second best
time for doing the job?

I live in North Central Texas which is in zone 8.

Thanks

Please be careful of your tree as you do this. Most of a tree's
feeder roots are int eh top foot or two of soil, so excessive tilling
under teh tree's canopy could do extensive damage. The root crown
should be exposed to open air, so don't add soil to cover root flares
(and excavate the crown if the builder or someone else already buried
it). The critical root zone should be covered in a 3.5-inch layer of
mulch, preferably organics like wood chips or bark. This zone is
generally defined as a circle one foot in diameter per inch of trunk
diameter (at breast height, 1 meter above grade). Often, grass lovers
are unwilling to give up this much space; if that's you, any area of
mulch is better than none. A foot or two from the trunk will at least
give a little respite from the grass and remove the temptation to
whack the tree with a string trimmer at mowing time. More is better.

www.treesaregood.com/treecare/mulching.aspx

Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236

[IMG] code is On

sprouting grass seed before sowing ken cohen United Kingdom 12 06-04-2005 11:28 AM
Sowing phalaenopsis ; sowing medium question Aaron Hicks Orchids 4 03-11-2004 01:54 AM
Sowing Grass Seeds Shepherd Gardening 1 20-10-2003 03:02 PM
Sowing Grass Seed Steve United Kingdom 4 17-10-2003 09:22 AM
sowing some grass seed a United Kingdom 1 12-09-2003 09:42 PM