Old 02-03-2007, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Freezing weather this weekenc

I just finished moving all of my tropical plants outdoor last week.
I am living Dallas, TX area where statically the winter should be over.
However, for some strange reason, I heard on the news that this weekend
the temp will be dropping to near freezing in the morning hours.

Questions: Do I have to be concerned about my plants that are outside?
This is going very short (few hours). Will the plants survive such a short
time
of temp dropped?

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Old 02-03-2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 17:03:35 GMT, "Jimmy Sayavong"
wrote:

I just finished moving all of my tropical plants outdoor last week.
I am living Dallas, TX area where statically the winter should be over.
However, for some strange reason, I heard on the news that this weekend
the temp will be dropping to near freezing in the morning hours.

Questions: Do I have to be concerned about my plants that are outside?
This is going very short (few hours). Will the plants survive such a short
time
of temp dropped?

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Depends on which plants they are, some will tolerate some cold, some
die quickly.
Old 02-03-2007, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Jimmy Sayavong wrote:
I just finished moving all of my tropical plants outdoor last week.
I am living Dallas, TX area where statically the winter should be over.
However, for some strange reason, I heard on the news that this weekend
the temp will be dropping to near freezing in the morning hours.

Jimmy, I believe our average last killing frost in Dallas is usually
mid March. So be aware even later freezes may occur.

Lar
Old 02-03-2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jimmy Sayavong" wrote in
t:

I just finished moving all of my tropical plants outdoor last week.
I am living Dallas, TX area where statically the winter should be
over. However, for some strange reason, I heard on the news that this
weekend the temp will be dropping to near freezing in the morning
hours.

Questions: Do I have to be concerned about my plants that are
outside? This is going very short (few hours). Will the plants
survive such a short time
of temp dropped?

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

A florist told me over just this last weekend that plant tissue can
freeze in mere seconds. If you treasure them, move them back inside.
Especially any succulent types with water-laden leaves -- Jade trees,
Hoya, cactus, etc.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jimmy Sayavong wrote:

I just finished moving all of my tropical plants outdoor last week.
I am living Dallas, TX area where statically the winter should be over.
However, for some strange reason, I heard on the news that this weekend
the temp will be dropping to near freezing in the morning hours.

Questions: Do I have to be concerned about my plants that are outside?
This is going very short (few hours). Will the plants survive such a short
time
of temp dropped?

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Can you drape Xmas lights through/around them? probably enough heat to
give protection from near frost temps, especially if a cover is also used.

Yeah, as said - anything valuable should be brought back in. And I also
read last average frost is mid-march.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)