Old 20-12-2004, 06:41 AM
junkyardcat

Default Aloe Vera Plant and Freezing weather

Oops...I accidentally left my Aloe plant outside and we had a hard
freeze From the tips to about halfway down the plant, they are brownish
yellow and squishy. The rest of the plant looks fine. Should I snip off the
squishy parts...will it grow new tips? Forgive me for sounding dumb, but
this is the first aloe plant I've had...

thanks!
Angie

Old 20-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Ricky

"junkyardcat" wrote in message
Oops...I accidentally left my Aloe plant outside and we had a hard
freeze From the tips to about halfway down the plant, they are brownish
yellow and squishy. The rest of the plant looks fine. Should I snip off

the
squishy parts...will it grow new tips? Forgive me for sounding dumb, but
this is the first aloe plant I've had...

Cut the "squishy" stuff off as far back as you can. Don't water for a week
or until the soil has dried out completely.

Old 20-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Cereus-validus...

This will be the first Aloe plant you lose.

Freezing temps are fatal to Aloe.

Old 20-12-2004, 05:52 PM
Ricky

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
m...
Then when you realize the plant is dead, you can throw it out!!!!

I wouldn't be so quick to throw it out. I've had plants with "squishy" parts
come back.

Old 20-12-2004, 06:17 PM
Joe

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
m...
This will be the first Aloe plant you lose.

Freezing temps are fatal to Aloe.

Notice how trollboy here lobs insults at anyone and everyone. Could
someone do a 'whois' and post it so we can all complain to his ISP?

Old 20-12-2004, 08:02 PM
junkyardcat

If freezing temps were fatal to Aloe, then the whole plant would be dead,
but it's not. Just the tallest parts, so there's still hope!

Old 20-12-2004, 08:04 PM
junkyardcat

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for replying I'll cut them off and see what happens...never hurts
to try

Happy Holidays!
Angie

Old 20-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Ann

"Joe" expounded:

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
om...
This will be the first Aloe plant you lose.

Freezing temps are fatal to Aloe.

Notice how trollboy here lobs insults at anyone and everyone. Could
someone do a 'whois' and post it so we can all complain to his ISP?

Joe, he's lobbed nothing here, and complaints over the years haven't
done much. Ignore his childishness, and read the posts where he
shares his knowledge, he's really very knowledgable about botany.
It's too bad he insists on acting like such an ass. Some here find
him funny, I've never found mean to be funny.

Yes, I'm braced for another one of Stevie's temper tantrums.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 20-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Salty Thumb

"junkyardcat" wrote in
:

If freezing temps were fatal to Aloe, then the whole plant would be
dead, but it's not. Just the tallest parts, so there's still hope!

I've saved a squishy aloe vera, but it was a overwatered root squishy and
not a frozen head squishy. Prior to that, two frozen squishies that were
brought inside (cold 45-55F? garage) without any additional care did not
survive, however, they were frozen squishy for more than one day. Haven't
had any problems with non-squishy aloes growing new tips.

For reference, the overwatered squishy (which was not yet a smelly squishy)
was pulled from the pot, allowed to unsquishy (air dry) its feet and then
repotted.

Good luck with yours.

Old 20-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Cereus-validus...

That makes no sense.

The "squishy parts" are dying leaf tissue and that doesn't "come back".

Old 20-12-2004, 11:10 PM
Cereus-validus...

If you have nothing of value nor relevant to contribute to the conversation
then just shut up, you troll boy wannabe.

Old 20-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Cereus-validus...

Aloe vera doesn't grow tall, its a rosette plant.

If the leaves are frozen, so is the growing point in the crown.

Old 20-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Joe

"Ann" wrote in message
"Joe" expounded:

"Cereus-validus..." wrote in message
om...
This will be the first Aloe plant you lose.

Freezing temps are fatal to Aloe.

Notice how trollboy here lobs insults at anyone and everyone. Could
someone do a 'whois' and post it so we can all complain to his ISP?

Joe, he's lobbed nothing here, and complaints over the years haven't
done much. Ignore his childishness, and read the posts where he
shares his knowledge, he's really very knowledgable about botany.
It's too bad he insists on acting like such an ass. Some here find
him funny, I've never found mean to be funny.

Yes, I'm braced for another one of Stevie's temper tantrums.
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
********************************

Thanks Ann, but I just decided a killfile was a better solution. Now I'll
never gather his wisdom, boo-hoo.

Old 21-12-2004, 12:19 AM
Hemmaholic

Angie,

I'll second Ricky's advise and add a bit to it. Frist of all, if the
very crown of your Aleo is still intact it's chances of survival are
greatly improved!

The individual leavf tips won't grown back, but the remaining healthy
tissue will still be able to produce energy to help the plant
recouperate, and though the main plant may not "make it" there is still
a high likelyhood that it will develop "pups" or new plants from the
roots and the base of the "mother" plant.

Keep the plant more on the dry side and when you do water it add a few
drops of "SUPERTHRIVE" to the water, water ir thoroughly and then not
again until it is dry (not DRIED OUT).

Place the injured plant is a warm spot with plenty of bright light but
no direct sun during the "heat" of the day. Early morning and late
afternoon sun are acceptable.

If the damaged leaves continue to show cellular damage, use a very
sharp knife or razor and keep it trimmed back beyond the damaged
tissues; you might also want to dust the cuts with agricultural sulfur.
Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Hemmaholic

[IMG] code is On

Plant ID-- huge whiteish cold tolerant "aloe vera-looking" succulent Darren Garrison Gardening 7 11-07-2007 09:28 PM
Follow up to Aloe vera rooting and growing question - here's more info Laura at theGardenPages Gardening 1 12-03-2006 08:24 AM
Aloe Vera plant Mythos Plant Biology 5 04-09-2005 05:41 PM
aloe vera plant Tonya Heath North Carolina 0 31-03-2005 07:11 PM
Two questions..Aloe Vera plants and Climbing Shell junkyardcat Gardening 6 10-11-2004 08:49 AM