Old 20-03-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Preventing Unwanted Fruit on Apple Tree

I have a large apple tree which dumps hundreds of pounds of mostly
unwanted apples on our property every year. I'd like to spray the tree
with Florel Fruit Eliminator this year to eliminate most of the fruit.
My questions is: Will any fruit that sets and ripens despite my
application of Florel fruit eliminator be safe to eat? The product
safety sheet only mentions Florel in the context of ornamental trees
and there avoids the whole edibility question but it's clear from
perusing usenet that many people are using it on edible fruit
producing trees. Does anyone have any experience with this product on
apple trees?

Thanks

Old 21-03-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 21, 5:20 am, Persephone wrote:
On 20 Mar 2007 09:43:48 -0700, wrote:

I have a large apple tree which dumps hundreds of pounds of mostly
unwanted apples on our property every year. I'd like to spray the tree
with Florel Fruit Eliminator this year to eliminate most of the fruit.
My questions is: Will any fruit that sets and ripens despite my
application of Florel fruit eliminator be safe to eat? The product
safety sheet only mentions Florel in the context of ornamental trees
and there avoids the whole edibility question but it's clear from
perusing usenet that many people are using it on edible fruit
producing trees. Does anyone have any experience with this product on
apple trees?

Thanks

Couldn't you get a local food bank to send an unemployed person to
collect/pick the unwanted apples? Or simply invite neighbors to
pick?

or prune the thing and thin by hand (thin in June, leave one fruit for
every 25 leaves, for best production)? And do what I do with my pears,
rake those that fall and give them to my neighbor, who has chickens
who gobble them up?

Old 23-03-2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 20, 12:43 pm, wrote:
I have a large apple tree which dumps hundreds of pounds of mostly
unwanted apples on our property every year. I'd like to spray the tree
with Florel Fruit Eliminator this year to eliminate most of the fruit.
My questions is: Will any fruit that sets and ripens despite my
application of Florel fruit eliminator be safe to eat? The product
safety sheet only mentions Florel in the context of ornamental trees
and there avoids the whole edibility question but it's clear from
perusing usenet that many people are using it on edible fruit
producing trees. Does anyone have any experience with this product on
apple trees?

Thanks

You think spray regimen is easier than just raking them up?

Perhaps a single pruning cut an inch or two from the ground

Old 24-03-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sounds like the best solution for you is to take that tree out and replace it
with a
dwarf tree. It will be easier to maintain, pick fruit, and should not produce
as
much fruit as a full size tree on standard rootstock. If there is something
special
about the fruit you have now, you can propagate it by cutting off a piece of
branch
(scion) and graft it to a dwarfing rootstock.

Sherwin D.

beecrofter wrote:

On Mar 20, 12:43 pm, wrote:
I have a large apple tree which dumps hundreds of pounds of mostly
unwanted apples on our property every year. I'd like to spray the tree
with Florel Fruit Eliminator this year to eliminate most of the fruit.
My questions is: Will any fruit that sets and ripens despite my
application of Florel fruit eliminator be safe to eat? The product
safety sheet only mentions Florel in the context of ornamental trees
and there avoids the whole edibility question but it's clear from
perusing usenet that many people are using it on edible fruit
producing trees. Does anyone have any experience with this product on
apple trees?

Thanks

You think spray regimen is easier than just raking them up?

Perhaps a single pruning cut an inch or two from the ground

[IMG] code is On

Preventing Urine burn? Is it possible somehow? Oscar_lives Lawns 0 20-10-2003 07:22 PM
Preventing Urine burn? Is it possible somehow? GamePlayer No. 1058 Lawns 15 20-10-2003 10:12 AM
Preventing Branches From Growing Back Ray Lawns 0 12-10-2003 01:32 PM
preventing rust. Me Roses 3 11-06-2003 03:44 PM
preventing apple scab Meindert de Jong Plant Science 0 29-04-2003 02:56 PM