Old 26-03-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Saving a wet corner of my garden

Hello,

I'm going into the third year with my vegetable garden here in Ithaca, NY,
and I've got a serious issue I need to deal with -- one corner of the garden
floods.

I started the first year with a plot about 9 feet wide and 18 feet long, and
everything went swimmingly. Roto-tilled in peat moss and compost. The next
year I extended the plot by about 5 feet (now 14x18), roto-tilled in peat
moss and compost. There is a slope to the plot, but it didn't affect the
lower end of the original plot. Unfortunately, the new corner floods -- I
can get an inch or two of standing water there in the slightly lower pathway
(I raised the bed around it). Damned if I didn't plant my favorite heirloom
tomatoes in that very corner. Still managed to get a small yield. Spent a
lot of last year's rainy summer bailing it out.

This year I want to fix things. I'm planning to redistribute the soil around
the garden a little to build up that end, but there's not that much soil I
want to move. I'm thinking of other ideas -- but need the solution to be
cheap, or free. Here's what I know I have at my disposal:

*My own compost, although there isn't much, or enough, of it
*I have heard there is a huge pile of rotting horse manure on one of the
Cornell equestrian lots that people available for public taking
*Compost is available from the City of Ithaca, what I think is a pile of the
brush they clear each year and let decompose. It is also free.

My question is, what is the best way to improve drainage and build up that
end of the garden that won't damage the soil by being too rich? If, say, I
get compost from the City, should I mix it with peat moss and the existing
soil as far down as I can dig? Or is there another way to raise the soil
height and improve drainage that I'm not thinking of?

I am not at all interested in a water garden, swamp garden, or backyard bog!

Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Chris

Old 26-03-2007, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Christopher Riley wrote:

[...]

Any chance for a small ditch ?

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 27-03-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

can you buy a load of loam?

Old 27-03-2007, 09:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 3/27/07 11:44 AM, in article
, "beecrofter"
wrote:

can you buy a load of loam?

This'll sound like a dumb question, but where does one buy a load of loam?
Agway?

Old 27-03-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 27, 4:18 pm, Christopher Riley wrote:
On 3/27/07 11:44 AM, in article
om, "beecrofter"

wrote:

can you buy a load of loam?

This'll sound like a dumb question, but where does one buy a load of loam?
Agway?

Ask around at the Agway, somebody will know who sells topsoil and loam
or you can leave a card on their bulletin board - it's usually full of
spring lamb and chicks and ducks ads by now. Or look in the phonebook
under "backhoe service" or "Ecavation "

Old 29-03-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

have at my disposal:

*I have heard there is a huge pile of rotting horse manure on one of
the Cornell equestrian lots that people available for public taking

You "heard" some unconfirmed rumour about it? Frankly, that
sounds like a bunch of horse-shit.

It does, doesn't it? But this isn't a my-cousin-knows-a-guy rumor.
It's the real poop.

Just remember: shit in, shit out.

Man--ure all creating a big doo-fuss!

Old 29-03-2007, 02:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"mleblanca" wrote in news:1175143222.556795.114740
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

have at my disposal:

*I have heard there is a huge pile of rotting horse manure on one of
the Cornell equestrian lots that people available for public taking

You "heard" some unconfirmed rumour about it? Frankly, that
sounds like a bunch of horse-shit.

It does, doesn't it? But this isn't a my-cousin-knows-a-guy rumor.
It's the real poop.

Just remember: shit in, shit out.

Man--ure all creating a big doo-fuss!

All in all, I'd rather be fishing... for crappies.

Old 29-03-2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mar 29, 6:16 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in news:1175143222.556795.114740
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

have at my disposal:

*I have heard there is a huge pile of rotting horse manure on one of
the Cornell equestrian lots that people available for public taking

You "heard" some unconfirmed rumour about it? Frankly, that
sounds like a bunch of horse-shit.

It does, doesn't it? But this isn't a my-cousin-knows-a-guy rumor.
It's the real poop.

Just remember: shit in, shit out.

Man--ure all creating a big doo-fuss!

All in all, I'd rather be fishing... for crappies.

Ha........good one. I was trying to find a way to fit that one
in........
didn't think of adding 'pies' to it

But I really think everyone is being rather fecestious.
Now.....SCAT!!!!

Old 29-03-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

Just raise the beds to the point where they do not flood anymore.
Granted, I do not have the clay that predominates in Ithaca, a place
I visited so many times I know which soil it has. But the paths
between
my beds flood every spring, and the garlic in the beds, also sensitive
waterlogging, does not care. There are about 4 inches between water
level
and beds surface. To build up your beds, I prefer cinder blocks. You
can
plant carrots, parsnips or radicchio in the blocks holes if you want
use the space maximally.

Also, if you are confident of your disease
situation, it is a good idea to leave roots in the ground when you
clean
up in the fall, they will decay and become a draining channel. Many
vegetables get down to 4 feet or more. Not advisable with cabbage.

To fill in, just about any organic material you can lay your hands on
will do,
if you are patient enough. I prefer to get uncomposted stuff, pile it
high,
plant things in it that will manage, and wait. You can surely find a
tree
company that will deliver a load of wood chips for free. They are very
harsh, but
if you mix a bit of manure in it, potatoes will grow decently right in
the chips.
If you top dress with wood ash to balance the pH ( a couple of times
during the season), plus the manure, cucurbitae, garlic and tomatoes
will
grow well in it. Greens, peas or carrots will not grow in such stuff
though.
The chips do take a couple of years to decompose, but in the end you
have
a soil with a thicker humus than with other organic stuff.

If you can get the manure, most everything will grow well in it, and
the
next year your soil is already fine for general use. I have no
experience
with city compost, but if it is mostly leaves, they turn into quality,
neutral soil where everything grows by midsummer. Just pile it high
enough.
If you can't make the beds, just make the pile, plant a melon or
squash on
top, and let it sprawl.

Old 29-03-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"mleblanca" wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in
news:1175143222.556795.114740 @p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

have at my disposal:

*I have heard there is a huge pile of rotting horse manure on
one of the Cornell equestrian lots that people available for
public taking

You "heard" some unconfirmed rumour about it? Frankly, that
sounds like a bunch of horse-shit.

It does, doesn't it? But this isn't a my-cousin-knows-a-guy
rumor. It's the real poop.

Just remember: shit in, shit out.

Man--ure all creating a big doo-fuss!

All in all, I'd rather be fishing... for crappies.

Ha........good one. I was trying to find a way to fit that one
in........
didn't think of adding 'pies' to it

But I really think everyone is being rather fecestious.
Now.....SCAT!!!!

I had to go anyway. I'm making cowpies for supper.
Old 29-03-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

"simy1" wrote in
oups.com:

[...]

There's an article in Better Homes and Gardens April 2003, titled:
SUCCESS IN SOGGY SOIL, on someone who had a wet yard and fixed it. You
could check your library for a copy. Basically, though, they just kept
dumping in tons of topsoil, year after year.
Old 30-03-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I had to go anyway. I'm making cowpies for supper.

Oh, Yummy! But you know, they'll just go to waste.
I worked out in the garden all day today. There is a lot
to clean up. Now I am pooped!!

Emilie
who actually did work in her garden, cleaning up, pruning,
and mulching, and getting ready to get the tomato plants
in the ground. The lilacs are blooming and there were 8
W Tiger Swallowtails going nuts over them.
mle

[IMG] code is On

Wet, wet, wet David Hill United Kingdom 54 22-12-2012 03:28 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet Dave Hill United Kingdom 3 21-11-2011 11:14 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jadene Mayla Lawns 0 27-06-2011 08:27 PM
Evergreen recommendation for Portland, OR (wet, wet, wet) Jess Lawns 0 24-04-2011 04:08 PM
Wet, Wet, Wet David Hill United Kingdom 16 06-02-2004 03:49 PM