Old 10-04-2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Animal poop of some sort

My husband discovered two huge poops on top of our shed. The shed has
tall shrubs near it, and is also accessible to the fence near it so
that's how this animal got up there, but does anyone know what would
do this? The poop is larger than a cats poo, and it doesn't have the
characteristic of an opossum or raccoon, but what could it be? We
have had a female fox raise her pups two years in a row under the
shed, but these poos are too big for fox. I'd say they are about the
size of a medium dog. Ideas?
Old 10-04-2007, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jangchub" wrote in message
My husband discovered two huge poops on top of our shed. The shed has
tall shrubs near it, and is also accessible to the fence near it so
that's how this animal got up there, but does anyone know what would
do this? The poop is larger than a cats poo, and it doesn't have the
characteristic of an opossum or raccoon, but what could it be? We
have had a female fox raise her pups two years in a row under the
shed, but these poos are too big for fox. I'd say they are about the
size of a medium dog. Ideas?

Every now and then, the internet is actually useful! Maybe this will help.

http://www.bear-tracker.com/animalscat.html

Old 10-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangchub View Post
My husband discovered two huge poops on top of our shed. The shed has
tall shrubs near it, and is also accessible to the fence near it so
that's how this animal got up there, but does anyone know what would
do this? The poop is larger than a cats poo, and it doesn't have the
characteristic of an opossum or raccoon, but what could it be? We
have had a female fox raise her pups two years in a row under the
shed, but these poos are too big for fox. I'd say they are about the
size of a medium dog. Ideas?

That's really weird.
I got no idea
Old 10-04-2007, 05:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 15:32:07 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

The message
from Jangchub contains these words:

My husband discovered two huge poops on top of our shed. The shed has
tall shrubs near it, and is also accessible to the fence near it so
that's how this animal got up there, but does anyone know what would
do this? The poop is larger than a cats poo, and it doesn't have the
characteristic of an opossum or raccoon, but what could it be? We
have had a female fox raise her pups two years in a row under the
shed, but these poos are too big for fox. I'd say they are about the
size of a medium dog. Ideas?

My medium-sized dog's poops are the same size as fox poop.

Foxes can jump or climb anything a cat can jump or climb, so I'd say
they could reach the shed roof. and they actually prefer to poop on
something raised up. Fox poop usually has a narrow twizzly bit at one
end, raised like a little question mark, and that distingusihes it from
cat or dog. If you scratch one open with a bit of stick, you may see
tiny bones, and the cases of beetle wings.

Janet.

Yeah, I think it's the fox or a raccoon. It's definitely not cat or
dog.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 10, 8:56 am, Jangchub wrote:
My husband discovered two huge poops on top of our shed. The shed has
tall shrubs near it, and is also accessible to the fence near it so
that's how this animal got up there, but does anyone know what would
do this? The poop is larger than a cats poo, and it doesn't have the
characteristic of an opossum or raccoon, but what could it be? We
have had a female fox raise her pups two years in a row under the
shed, but these poos are too big for fox. I'd say they are about the
size of a medium dog. Ideas?

Probably fox. I've seen poop on top of rocks in the woods and hunter
friend said foxes like to do this - poop on top of things.

Frank

Old 11-04-2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11 Apr 2007 04:24:55 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

On Apr 10, 8:56 am, Jangchub wrote:
My husband discovered two huge poops on top of our shed. The shed has
tall shrubs near it, and is also accessible to the fence near it so
that's how this animal got up there, but does anyone know what would
do this? The poop is larger than a cats poo, and it doesn't have the
characteristic of an opossum or raccoon, but what could it be? We
have had a female fox raise her pups two years in a row under the
shed, but these poos are too big for fox. I'd say they are about the
size of a medium dog. Ideas?

Probably fox. I've seen poop on top of rocks in the woods and hunter
friend said foxes like to do this - poop on top of things.

Frank

From what I'm reading, so do raccoons. The only thing I'm afraid of
is when gardening that I could touch one of these turds. Geesh, they
scare the hell out of people with the round worm possibility, even
though there's only been 11 cases or so in history!

I've never seen a raccoon around here. I do have a HUGE brush pile
for the wildlife, so who knows. I know for sure there are rats, mice,
snakes, skinks, lizards and anoles. I've seen these. Maybe one night
I'll stay up and wait to see what it is. There are two sizes, so the
possibility is I have both fox and raccoon. I think it's cool.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 11, 8:33 am, Jangchub wrote:
On 11 Apr 2007 04:24:55 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

On Apr 10, 8:56 am, Jangchub wrote:
My husband discovered two huge poops on top of our shed. The shed has
tall shrubs near it, and is also accessible to the fence near it so
that's how this animal got up there, but does anyone know what would
do this? The poop is larger than a cats poo, and it doesn't have the
characteristic of an opossum or raccoon, but what could it be? We
have had a female fox raise her pups two years in a row under the
shed, but these poos are too big for fox. I'd say they are about the
size of a medium dog. Ideas?

Probably fox. I've seen poop on top of rocks in the woods and hunter
friend said foxes like to do this - poop on top of things.

Frank

From what I'm reading, so do raccoons. The only thing I'm afraid of
is when gardening that I could touch one of these turds. Geesh, they
scare the hell out of people with the round worm possibility, even
though there's only been 11 cases or so in history!

I've never seen a raccoon around here. I do have a HUGE brush pile
for the wildlife, so who knows. I know for sure there are rats, mice,
snakes, skinks, lizards and anoles. I've seen these. Maybe one night
I'll stay up and wait to see what it is. There are two sizes, so the
possibility is I have both fox and raccoon. I think it's cool.

Get a large Hav-a-hart and trap the critters. I got mine for
groundhogs but have trapped raccoons and possums. Poop does not
bother me but rabies is endemic around here. I get worried when I see
foxes and raccoons in daylight and they don't run from me.

Frank

Old 12-04-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12 Apr 2007 05:21:06 -0700, "Frank" wrote:

Get a large Hav-a-hart and trap the critters. I got mine for
groundhogs but have trapped raccoons and possums. Poop does not
bother me but rabies is endemic around here. I get worried when I see
foxes and raccoons in daylight and they don't run from me.

Frank

Well, I have a Certified Wildlife Habitat, so what would be the point
in trapping animals and removing them? Suppose whatever animal it is
has young, do they die because I trapped their mother? I am not
afraid of rabies. It is certainly not rampant here and we have two of
the largest urban bat colonies of Mexican free tail bats in the world,
which fly over my home nightly in huge swarms of over a million.

I have never seen a nocturnal animal during the day in our yard. I've
seen the fox and her two young last year, but only at night and they
definitely didn't want to be anywhere near us. We found another poop
on the roof of the shed this morning. I'm going to call the game
warden to find out what this could be. I think raccoon. I hope
raccoon not skunk.