Old 05-07-2006, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Default Some sort of disease maybe? - Hollyhocks

Hiya folks,

Hope you are all enjoying the glorious weather! Have been lurking for
the last few weeks as have had no questions and have been unable to
answer anyone elses. Well all that is about to change I'm afraid.

I have some hollyhocks in the garden, only about six of them. I have
noticed that the leaves have some sort of disease, there are masses of
bumps on the underside of the leaves and I mean absolutely loads. The
leaves are literally covered with what looks like loads of eggs,
although I don't think they are eggs, they are also an orange colour.
The plants don't seem to be getting very tall but they do have buds on
which look fairly healthy. Does anyone have any ideas or know what
this is? Thank you in advance.

Happy gardening :-)
Gail

Old 05-07-2006, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"tom&barbara" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hiya folks,

Hope you are all enjoying the glorious weather! Have been lurking for
the last few weeks as have had no questions and have been unable to
answer anyone elses. Well all that is about to change I'm afraid.

I have some hollyhocks in the garden, only about six of them. I have
noticed that the leaves have some sort of disease, there are masses of
bumps on the underside of the leaves and I mean absolutely loads. The
leaves are literally covered with what looks like loads of eggs,
although I don't think they are eggs, they are also an orange colour.
The plants don't seem to be getting very tall but they do have buds on
which look fairly healthy. Does anyone have any ideas or know what
this is? Thank you in advance.

Happy gardening :-)
Gail

It sounds like rust which is one reason I avoid growing them. I believe
there are some resistant varieties. Do a Google for Hollyhock rust or have
a look at this:-
http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...lyhockrust.htm
Have a look at this

Old 05-07-2006, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

tom&barbara writes
Hiya folks,

Hope you are all enjoying the glorious weather! Have been lurking for
the last few weeks as have had no questions and have been unable to
answer anyone elses. Well all that is about to change I'm afraid.

I have some hollyhocks in the garden, only about six of them. I have
noticed that the leaves have some sort of disease, there are masses of
bumps on the underside of the leaves and I mean absolutely loads. The
leaves are literally covered with what looks like loads of eggs,
although I don't think they are eggs, they are also an orange colour.
The plants don't seem to be getting very tall but they do have buds on
which look fairly healthy. Does anyone have any ideas or know what
this is? Thank you in advance.

Hollyhocks (and others of the mallow family) are prone to rust, which
looks like little pustules of orangeness. I don't think there's anything
you can do about it. Take off the worst affected leaves and dispose of
them.

--
Kay
Old 06-07-2006, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

K wrote:
[...]
Hollyhocks (and others of the mallow family) are prone to rust, which
looks like little pustules of orangeness. I don't think there's anything
you can do about it. Take off the worst affected leaves and dispose of
them.

By burning. This is why people grow hollyhocks as annuals or biennials,
even though they're perennial. I'd destroy these plants after
flowering, and start again in spring. May as well let them grow on, as
they'll probably give you a display unless they're totally wrecked. I'm
out of date, but there must still be a fungicide you can spray at
intervals to slow down (you won't stop it) the infection for the
summer...yes, I see from the Web you can use sprays called Systhane or
Dithane 945 -- if you're into sprays: I don't think I would,
personally. Bordeaux mixture is acceptable under organic rules, of
course.

--
Mike.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message . com,
tom&barbara writes
Hiya folks,

Hope you are all enjoying the glorious weather! Have been lurking for
the last few weeks as have had no questions and have been unable to
answer anyone elses. Well all that is about to change I'm afraid.

I have some hollyhocks in the garden, only about six of them. I have
noticed that the leaves have some sort of disease, there are masses of
bumps on the underside of the leaves and I mean absolutely loads. The
leaves are literally covered with what looks like loads of eggs,
although I don't think they are eggs, they are also an orange colour.
The plants don't seem to be getting very tall but they do have buds on
which look fairly healthy. Does anyone have any ideas or know what
this is? Thank you in advance.

Hollyhock Rust (Puccinia malvacearum), also known as Mallow Rust or
Malva Rust. This is a South American fungus which has spread more or
less worldwide, and affects a variety of plants in the mallow family -
particular Hollyhocks, Common Mallow (and some of its weedy relatives)
and Musk Mallow.

It's claimed that Antwerp Hollyhocks (Ficifolia Group) are relatively
resistant. I suspect that the bloodlines of Alcea rosea are so
intertwined that you can't rely on this. It's also claimed that Alcea
rugosa is resistant as well. Herbaceous Lavateras (Lavatera thuringiaca
and cvs) are pretty much resistant and have a similar habit, but not the
range and intensity of colour.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://www.malvaceae.info/

Old 07-07-2006, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Many thanks to everyone for your replies. I have decided to leave them
to flower and then I will pull them up and burn them. I think I will
go for the one which doesn't rust in future.

Gail