Old 11-04-2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pots

I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the house
because I have a breathing problem. I'm thinking of Philodendron should I
put them in clay pots which will weight about 100 pounds which should give
me about a ton of plants or is plastic OK?

Old 11-04-2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the house
because I have a breathing problem. I'm thinking of Philodendron should I
put them in clay pots which will weight about 100 pounds which should give
me about a ton of plants or is plastic OK?

They so very well in plastic pots.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the house
because I have a breathing problem. I'm thinking of Philodendron should I
put them in clay pots which will weight about 100 pounds which should give
me about a ton of plants or is plastic OK?

Clay is nice, but it dries out faster than plastic. Obviously, you can pay
close attention to watering in order to deal with this. But, clay will also
build up mineral deposits (from your water) along the rim, and the only way
do deal with that is to either repot into a clean pot, or get the whole
plant outside in the rain, and scrub the pot as best you can with a stuff
brush. Hopefully, it'll also rain enough to flush through the soil
completely.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Lar Lar is offline

Richard wrote:
I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the
house because I have a breathing problem. I'm thinking of Philodendron
should I put them in clay pots which will weight about 100 pounds which
should give me about a ton of plants or is plastic OK?

You may want to place the pots on some sort of "feet" that keeps the
bottom of the pots off of the floor. The condensation will ruin
carpet/hardwood/linoleum.

Lar
Old 11-04-2007, 07:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Richard" wrote in
:

I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the
house because I have a breathing problem. I'm thinking of Philodendron
should I put them in clay pots which will weight about 100 pounds
which should give me about a ton of plants or is plastic OK?

Clay pots are a pain in the butt in the house unless something about the
plant requires what clay pots provide. Plastic is a better choice and you
can find it in a huge range of colors, designs, shapes. Philodendrons make
nice hanging plants but I doubt you'll be able to find hanging pots at the
sizes you must be looking for if you're figuring 100# per pot.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Clay will allow the roots to "breathe" a bit easier..........if
inside, they won't dry out AS quickly as when outside, but will still
dry out/be heavier than plastic. If you can afford the time and effort
(and trays underneath the pots) I would go for the clay - much more
elegant looking than plastic, imho.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the house
because I have a breathing problem.

Before you put in any houseplants, you would be wise to check up with health
care professionals on whether it will really help your breathing problems.
And even if they say it will, ask them to provide decent scientific studies
to support their claims - don't accept 'feel good' reports grabbed off the
Net or from popular lifestyle sites or publications given your health
problems.

There is a lot of garbage info around on the Net and in indifferent popular
publications especially about the so called 'purifying' effects of palnts on
air quality. The only reputable report I've ever seen suggested that they
do no such thing. Indoor plants are an aesthetic improvement to the
environment but apparently do nothing of a 'real' nature to improve air
quality. In fact all the potting material may end up being a detriment to
air quality in the long run for someone such as yourself with breathing
problems.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Richard" wrote in message
I have a 1550 square foot house so I'm going to put 16 plants in the house
because I have a breathing problem. I'm thinking of Philodendron should I
put them in clay pots which will weight about 100 pounds which should give
me about a ton of plants or is plastic OK?

What sort of breathing problems?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"Richard" wrote in message

[...]

Good point, some plants will have pollen, VOCs and fragrances, etc. that
could be as likely to cause 'breathing problems' as help. Plus the
possibility that mold/fungus can grow in the soil, with their own
pollen, and some houseplants could be toxic if pets/toddlers sample them.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

plants make oxygen during the day when the sun is out, but they use oxygen at night.
a really good NON OZONE producing precipitating air filter will probably work better
than plants. I agree with the mold and mites that inhabit plants. Ingrid

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 12-04-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"naearthmom" wrote in news:1176319081.533340.162510
@d57g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

Clay will allow the roots to "breathe" a bit easier..........if
inside, they won't dry out AS quickly as when outside, but will still
dry out/be heavier than plastic. If you can afford the time and effort
(and trays underneath the pots) I would go for the clay - much more
elegant looking than plastic, imho.

Clay pots in the house tend to get slimy in my experience. Maybe it's
where I live.
Old 13-04-2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Science is now catching up with what gardeners have known for decades
-- that is, growing plants can relieve stress while helping to clean
the environment. Gardening has become the number one leisure activity
in the United States and Canada, surpassing even sports. A growing
body of research shows that cultivating plants indoors and outdoors
may be the best medicine available for improving mental and physical
well-being at any age.

Although "green building" is becoming an attractive concept to
building managers and building occupants, the use of living plants is
not part of the present concept. Architects and engineers are
beginning to design buildings with an eye toward low-emitting carpets,
paints and furniture. This is good but should only be the first step.
A further step should include the design of houseplants into each
building, mimicking the earth's natural processes.

Benefits from our botanical friends

Benefits derived from our botanical friends include a wide range of
psychological and physiological effects. Studies conducted on plant/
people interactions have provided overwhelming evidence that plants do
indeed have a measurable beneficial effect on people and the spaces
they inhabit.

Plants not only add beauty to a room, but also make it a friendly,
inviting place to live or work. Plants symbolize friendship and appear
to have a calming, spiritual effect on most people. This perhaps
explains why plants play such an important role in human events such
as weddings, funerals, holidays, hospital stays and birthdays.

Plants are also used as background props for most important events
such as television addresses, commercials, etc. People feel relaxed
when they are near or tending to living plants. Corporations install
interior landscaping to increase worker productivity and decrease
absenteeism. Elite hotels, restaurants and other businesses use plants
to help entice customers to their establishments.

During early manned space flights, NASA astronauts and Soviet
cosmonauts expressed a desire to have plants on board their space
vehicles. Plants can help reduce stressful conditions inside cramped
space capsules during long-duration flights.

Nature's bio-cleaning machines

In the past, houseplants were sought only for their beauty and
psychological value. Thanks to NASA research findings, houseplants now
have a third value. Studies conducted in the early 1980s at the John
C. Stennis Space Center in Mississippi provided evidence that
houseplants can also improve indoor air quality. The ability of
houseplants to improve indoor air quality and one's health is no
longer a matter of conjecture - it's scientific fact.

Plants and their root microbes are nature's biological cleaning
machines. It is commonly understood that plants purify and revitalize
the earth's air and water. In general, we know that the animal/plant/
microbial world is harmoniously balanced so that each benefits from
the other. We are dependent upon these interactions for our
existence.

We are just now beginning to understand some of the mechanisms that
create these symbiotic relationships. Approximately 42 species of
interior plants have been evaluated for their ability to remove
various indoor air contaminants from sealed chambers. Hundreds of
experiments have been conducted and technical reports published that
seek to answer legitimate concerns about placing plants in buildings
for the specific purpose of improving indoor air quality.

After more than ten years of extensive research (both laboratory and
"real-world), we now have a basic understanding of how plants function
to remove indoor pollutants. Research conducted by Wolverton
Environmental Services, Inc. and supported by the Plants for Clean Air
Council in Mitchellville, Maryland, continues to expand on the
research begun at NASA. Specifically, we are trying to understand how
plants clean and revitalize the air and how to use this knowledge to
improve indoor air quality.

Plants use ingenious methods to obtain food and protect themselves
from would-be enemies. Each plant has the ability to culture microbes
on and around its roots specific for its needs. These microbes
biodegrade and mineralize (compost) dead leaves, animal waste, tannic
and humic acids and other debris to provide nutrients for the microbes
and their host plant. This is basis of organic gardening.

Geographic locations and environmental conditions of the plant's
origin determine which microbes it cultures. For example, the microbes
associated with plants that evolved underneath the canopy of tropical
rainforests (most houseplants) differ from those in arid environments.
Tropical plants need aggressive microbes that can rapidly recycle
jungle debris. Because rainforests are dark, warm and humid, mold and
bacteria thrive.

Tropical plants excrete substances that protect their leaves from
airborne molds and mildew. When these plant species are placed in an
indoor environment, they continue to suppress airborne mold spores.
Because chemical pollutants commonly found indoors such as
formaldehyde, benzene and xylene have structures similar to components
found in tannic and humic acids, microbes adapt to biodegrade these
chemicals also. Thus, the basis for plants' ability to improve indoor
air quality is established.

Humidity: the basics

Plants use two well known processes to move chemicals in the air to
their roots: Leaves absorb certain chemicals in the air and transport
them inside plant tissue down to the roots, and plants pull air down
around their roots when moisture is emitted from leaves during
transpiration.

Plants with high transpiration rates are able to move greater amounts
of air. Therefore, the more efficient air cleaners are plants with
high transpiration rates. Plant transpiration rates are controlled by
humidity. Plants attempt to balance humidity levels for their optimum
well-being by controlled release of moisture from their leaves. When
humidity is high, plants emit less moisture into the air then when
humidity is low.

Early critics complained that too many plants in buildings would cause
the humidity levels to rise and support the growth of mold and mildew.
However, findings proved otherwise. Low humidity, most prevalent
during winter months, dries the respiratory system and makes one more
susceptible to colds, viruses and allergens. Ideally, humidity should
range between 40 to 60 percent. Plants produce healthy, microbial-free
moisture.

Mechanical humidifiers, when not properly maintained, can become a
source of mold and mildew. When plants transpire, they not only add
moisture to the air but also emit substances that help suppress
airborne mold spores and bacteria. Although these substances are yet
to be identified, we do understand their function. Recent findings
show that plant-filled rooms contained 50 to 60 percent fewer airborne
mold and bacteria than rooms with no plants. Interestingly, air in the
plant-filled rooms had fewer microbes, even when temperature and
humidity levels were raised - the exact opposite effect predicted by
some critics.

Ironically, some doctors advise their allergy patients to avoid house
plants. House plants have been falsely accused of harboring mold
spores. The real problem is usually overwatering and the growth of
mold on wet carpeting. To avoid these problems, use hydroponic (soil-
less) methods in water-tight plants to grow house plants. If potting
soil is used, cover it with aquarium gravel and feed and water from
the bottom to keep the surface dry. There are also many commercial sub-
irrigation systems available. When large planters are used, the need
for frequent watering can be eliminated.

Healthy air for your home

As a general guide, two or more medium to large plants (14"-16"
containers) per 100 square feet of area are recommended. Of course,
more plants and larger plants would certainly increase effectiveness.

Plants alone may not be the total solution when serious indoor air
quality problems exist. Proper source management (allowing building
materials and furnishings to vent volatile fumes before installation),
complete air distribution and preventive maintenance are all
components of a healthy building.

Fan-assisted planter/air filters

Fan-assisted planter/filters may be needed to rapidly remove
pollutants from the air. Once the biological mechanisms of plants were
understood, it was only natural to merge man and nature's
technologies. By combining the most effective air filtering media,
mechanical air flow devices and living plants, WES Inc. has developed
a family of enhanced plant/air filters. These aesthetically designed,
patented planter units not only increase the air purification capacity
of houseplants by as much as 200 times but also help maintain healthy
indoor humidity levels.

One of the unique properties of this natural air purification is that
under normal operating conditions, the filtering media is
bioregenerated (self-cleaned) by the plant's root microbes. Therefore,
the filter media does not require periodic replacement, as is the case
with other commercial air filters.

We should all breathe easier knowing our beautiful house plants are
working so hard to keep us healthy!

Written by: B.C. "Bill" Wolverton, Ph.D. Bill Wolverton is president
of Wolverton Environmental Services in Picayune, Mississippi, and
author of the book How To Grow Fresh Air. A retired NASA scientist, he
has studied plants as a way of cleaning the air for many years.This
article first appeared at Judy Barrett's Homegrown: Good Sense Organic
Gardening for Texas.

Old 15-04-2007, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 14:36:21 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"naearthmom" wrote in news:1176319081.533340.162510
:

Clay will allow the roots to "breathe" a bit easier..........if
inside, they won't dry out AS quickly as when outside, but will still
dry out/be heavier than plastic. If you can afford the time and effort
(and trays underneath the pots) I would go for the clay - much more
elegant looking than plastic, imho.

Clay pots in the house tend to get slimy in my experience. Maybe it's
where I live.

They can. And they do where I live. Some plants grow much better in
unglazed clay pots--like cactus and succulents. During the warm
season I put them outside on the deck with two sticks underneath for
fast drainage. Coleus and African violets seem to do well in plastic
pots. I soak clay pots in water for a week with a little household
bleach added, rinse, scrub, rinse, and repeat the soak until the water
shows clean. The pots come out like new.