Old 19-04-2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Life miners

I am plagued by leaf miners on my citrus trees. No insecticides seem to
work. The leaves curl and eventually fall off. Hardly produce any oranges.

The trees are only 25 years old. May have to cut them all down, unless there
is an alternative.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 19-04-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

.. .

Old 19-04-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Sorry, the subject was leaf miners, not life miners.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
.. .

Old 19-04-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Hi

Thanks for all the URL's. However, I could not find a reference to citrus
leaf miners.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"symplastless" wrote in message
. ..

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
Storms, fires, floods, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions keep reminding
us that we are not the boss.

.. .

Old 19-04-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:13:14 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

Sorry, the subject was leaf miners, not life miners.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-
"Walter R." wrote in message
. ..
I am plagued by leaf miners on my citrus trees. No insecticides seem to
work. The leaves curl and eventually fall off. Hardly produce any oranges.

The trees are only 25 years old. May have to cut them all down, unless
there is an alternative.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
-

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r107303211.html

Maybe some more info at:
http://lyons.ipm.ucdavis.edu:16080/cgi-bin/htsearch

Old 19-04-2007, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Leaf miners

Thank you, Charles. That was a very informative article from the UC Davis

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 19-04-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 23:10:54 -0700, "Walter R."
wrote:

Thank you, Charles. That was a very informative article from the UC Davis

--
Walter

they seem to be a good school, and have more interest than most in
making information public.
Old 22-04-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Walter R." wrote in message
.. .
Hi

Thanks for all the URL's. However, I could not find a reference to citrus
leaf miners.

[snip]

Actually, leaf miners shouldn't ordinarily be an overall threat to a citrus
tree. Normally they're an appearance problem only. When a homeowner's tree
of 15-25 years age goes into decline, it frequently is one which is
receiving too much water over a prolonged period of time. A young tree can
agressively put out new roots to replace those that succumb to root rot (too
much water) Eventually, as the tree ages, the roots start losing ground to
the rot and the tree dies.

If the tree is a dooryard tree or in your landscaping (and your lawn and
landscaping is doing OK) then the citrus is getting too much water. A St.
Augustine lawn requires much more water than a citrus tree can handle over a
period of years. If this is your situation, if you can close off any
sprinklers near your citrus and remove any mulch you may have around the
roots (out to the drip line) you may be able to dry out and save the tree.
Regards --

Old 28-04-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default citrus leaf miners WAS: Life miners

"Walter R." writes:
I am plagued by leaf miners on my citrus trees. No insecticides seem to
work. The leaves curl and eventually fall off. Hardly produce any oranges.

The trees are only 25 years old. May have to cut them all down, unless there
is an alternative.

Citrus leaf miners are a relatively recent pest to blight Australian
citrus. I have no idea how commercial farms control it; but the insect
is difficult to get at because it's protected from sprays by the
transparent waxy coat on citrus leaves since it lives in the green cells
sandwiched between the waxy coats. I expect that a chemical method would
have to be systemic to be effective; but as I said I don't know.

For the home gardener, local tv and radio gardening programs recommend
a fortnightly spraying with PestOil (TM) or EcoOil (TM). These are
oil emulsions which don't carry the same risk as ordinary white oil;
the risk being that a sunny day after a spraying of White Oil can cause
catastrophic leaf loss of citrus. I think the way PestOil works is that
the temporary oil coating on the leaf suffocates the insect, so you must
spray both sides of the leaf, and thoroughly, for it to be effective.
Gardeners report that not only does the oil control the miners, but it
seems to keep the trees free of aphids and scale, into the bargain,
provided you keep up the fortnightly regimen throughout the year.

There is a likelihood that these oils may not be available outside
Australia, or they may be but marketed under different names. Perhaps
other readers can offer help here?

[IMG] code is On

leaf miners chris Gardening 0 03-09-2004 08:48 AM
Leaf Miners in my Columbine BottleCap Gardening 10 31-05-2004 04:07 AM
Leaf miners on pepper plants Stan Goodman Edible Gardening 5 18-05-2004 07:18 PM
Leaf Miners Janice United Kingdom 4 21-07-2003 06:55 PM
Website guide to leaf miners Andy Mabbett United Kingdom 0 08-03-2003 11:00 PM