Old 21-04-2007, 12:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default clematis

I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice
states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants
always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of
clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph
neutral and I live in the north east of England.

Thank you

Old 21-04-2007, 05:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"cowslip" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice
states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants
always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of
clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph
neutral and I live in the north east of England.

Thank you

Your local garden center is probably the best source or someone in your
neighborhood with a thriving Clematis.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 21-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowslip View Post
I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice
states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants
always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of
clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph
neutral and I live in the north east of England.

Thank you
Hi

We've also had a few problems growing clamatis! I tryed quite a few and now we finally have a 'Nelly Moser' which has flowered for the last three years!!!! I also have a Montana which has started to grow a little better than in previous years?? My mother-in-law has a massive montana which is a riot of colour at the minute, I keep trying to re-creat this just around the corner with little success! Every couple of years they cut it back hard and by the next spring its gorgious again!

Good luck!

sarah x
Old 21-04-2007, 01:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Hi,

On 2007-04-20, cowslip wrote:
I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice
states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants
always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of
clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph
neutral and I live in the north east of England.

General advice I got is _not_ to choose the clematis with large flowers
or exceptional long flowering period, but select the more modest clematis
types. The one we bought with smaller flower and flowering period of
one month instead of two or more months, is now growing much faster and
covering a larger area (still spring though here in the Netherlands)
than the types with large flowers (or with two flowering periods).

Success,

-- Benno
Old 21-04-2007, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 20 Apr 2007 16:13:35 -0700, cowslip
wrote:

I have tried without much success to grow clematis plants. The advice
states to keep the roots in shade which I have done but the plants
always seem to fail. Can anyone recommend a particular variety of
clematis which is easy to grow? The soil is good quality, fertile, ph
neutral and I live in the north east of England.

Thank you

I have 'Jackmanii' and 'C.paniculata' aka sweet autumn clematis. My
Jackmanii is indestructible, in good soil growing up through my
antique rose 'Sombruiele' (sp?) and is loaded with flowers and buds.
I am growing 'Stachys' aka lambs ears at the base to cover the soil
where the roots are and it is flowering now with tons of flowers.