Old 23-04-2007, 06:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hypertufu - making look smoother

I am trying to make some contemporary looking planters. Since concrete
would be too heavy, I have turned to Hypertufa. My question is what
can I do to make the planters look more like smooth concrete than aged
stone? I would imagine using the smallest perlite or vermiculite
possible would help. Any other tips?

Old 23-04-2007, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike C" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am trying to make some contemporary looking planters. Since concrete
would be too heavy, I have turned to Hypertufa. My question is what
can I do to make the planters look more like smooth concrete than aged
stone? I would imagine using the smallest perlite or vermiculite
possible would help. Any other tips?

Go to a joint like HD or Lowes and look in the paint aisle. There is a spray
that looks like granite.
A friend did her fireplace stone and it turned out really nice looking.

Betsy

Old 23-04-2007, 09:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mike C wrote in news:1177349381.584137.296550
@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I am trying to make some contemporary looking planters. Since concrete
would be too heavy, I have turned to Hypertufa. My question is what
can I do to make the planters look more like smooth concrete than aged
stone? I would imagine using the smallest perlite or vermiculite
possible would help. Any other tips?

Why is that the look you are going for? I sort of like the wire-brushed
look of hypertufu but that's a serious question as to why you want a smooth
look. How about starting moss on the outside of the pots? Pick up some
moss, put in in a blender with buttermilk (proportions don't seem to
matter) and pour it over the outside of the pot to grow new moss to cover
the rough exterior.
Old 24-04-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 23, 1:22 pm, EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
wrote:
Mike C wrote in news:1177349381.584137.296550
@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I am trying to make some contemporary looking planters. Since concrete
would be too heavy, I have turned toHypertufa. My question is what
can I do to make the planters look more like smooth concrete than aged
stone? I would imagine using the smallest perlite or vermiculite
possible would help. Any other tips?

********* You are on the right track. Cut out the peat moss or any
other thing that would rot out.
I make spheres with PC,sand,vermiculite and perlite. End result looks
like granite. Vermiculite give a somewhat sparkly look.
Good Luck,
scooterbug

Old 24-04-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 23, 3:22 pm, EvilGoddessFragileWarrior
wrote:
Mike C wrote in news:1177349381.584137.296550
@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I am trying to make some contemporary looking planters. Since concrete
would be too heavy, I have turned to Hypertufa. My question is what
can I do to make the planters look more like smooth concrete than aged
stone? I would imagine using the smallest perlite or vermiculite
possible would help. Any other tips?

Why is that the look you are going for? I sort of like the wire-brushed
look of hypertufu but that's a serious question as to why you want a smooth
look. How about starting moss on the outside of the pots? Pick up some
moss, put in in a blender with buttermilk (proportions don't seem to
matter) and pour it over the outside of the pot to grow new moss to cover
the rough exterior.

As I stated in the initial post, I have a contemporary house and
garden. Anything age will look out of place. That is why I was looking
for something smooth or at least no aged looking.

Old 24-04-2007, 12:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

Mike C wrote in
oups.com:

wrote:
[...]

Well, you think it will look out of place, you mean. It sounds like a
perfect complimentary pairing, to me.

Old 24-04-2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 23 Apr 2007 22:14:17 -0700, Mike C wrote:

As I stated in the initial post, I have a contemporary house and
garden. Anything age will look out of place. That is why I was looking
for something smooth or at least no aged looking.

In the box stores cement section they sell a material in a yellow
bag. I use that in linear molds, pressing into it words with plastic
letters and the appearance is smooth. If you want, you can buy it and
trowel it on till it's smooth and square. You may have to fashion
some type of support structure for the top of the troth so it remains
squared off with a crisp end. Did I explain that well? I think the
stuff I buy has some type of acrylic in it. You can also use Portland
cement because as far as I know there is no aggregate in it as
concrete would have. It also can be troweled on to square things off.