Old 30-04-2007, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

Default Need help with daikon radish

For several years I've tried to grow daikon radish. I've planted early, I've
planted late. No matter when I plant them, they bolt before the root is one
inch around. Has anyone here grown daikon sucessfully? If so, when did you
plant, and what was the weather like?

Old 30-04-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

I have grown then several times. I plant them the end of June or first of
July (in zone 5 - NW Kansas), and they usually come out very good. I like
to rake my dirt into a row about 12 inches high, flatten the top of the row
so it is about 4 inches wide, lay my soaker hose down the center of the row,
and plant seeds on both sides of the soaker hose. I plant the seeds 4 to 5
inches apart and stagger the planting so I don't have two coming up next to
each other on opposite sides of the hose. They need a lot of sunshine, and
I usually have to spray for some little black bugs that like to eat the
leaves. I get the veggie spray from Wal Mart and that takes care of the
bugs.

Dwayne

Old 30-04-2007, 01:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 29, 8:50 pm, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at
zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin' spam wrote:
For several years I've tried to grow daikon radish. I've planted early, I've
planted late. No matter when I plant them, they bolt before the root is one
inch around. Has anyone here grown daikon sucessfully? If so, when did you
plant, and what was the weather like?

Daikon is simply the Japanese word for radish. In this country usually
refers to winter/ oriental radishes. They grow easily when planted in
the fall. In my climate late August, but earlier in cooler climates.
There are many cultivars, some top shaped som carrot shaped and in
many colors. They need relativly good soil, ( they need to size up
relatively fast) and water. They don't handle stress real well. I have
had good luck with "Watermelon" and "China Rose'

Old 04-05-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ook Ook is offline

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

IIRC, in Japanese, it means "large root". It's Chinese and Korean where it
means radish. I grew China Rose last year, and they did fairly well, while
the Daikon next to them bolted. I haven't tried Watermelon radish. I like to
make takuan, pickled radish, which is traditionally made from the long
pointed white radish we all call Diakon. The texture seems to be firmer and
the flavor stronger then China Rose. Any other giant radishes you have
grown, and have you grown them in the spring?

[IMG] code is On

Daikon ? Steve Peek Edible Gardening 1 07-07-2011 07:49 PM
Growing radish Sue Gardening 2 15-05-2003 11:08 PM
harvesting radish seeds Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
radish for all seasons John Savage Australia 1 01-04-2003 01:32 PM
Chinese or Japanese Icicle Radish Paul England United Kingdom 4 27-01-2003 02:32 PM