Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Please help ID this plant

Thought it might be an Oak seedling but maybe its something else?

http://www.geocities.com/kalmia332001/100_0740.jpg
thanks

Mitch

Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

said:

Thought it might be an Oak seedling but maybe its something else?

http://www.geocities.com/kalmia332001/100_0740.jpg
thanks

I think this is a box elder seedling. Note the leaves are opposite of
each other on the stem.

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weed...ord.asp?id=440

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 01-05-2007, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

expounded:

Thought it might be an Oak seedling but maybe its something else?

http://www.geocities.com/kalmia332001/100_0740.jpg
thanks

Mitch

Poison ivy! Seriously, it's either poison ivy or poison oak - leaves
of three, let it be!
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 01-05-2007, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote in news:ic5e33dtfdjt55v5b3qf0fa7n938lajqg5
@4ax.com:

expounded:

Thought it might be an Oak seedling but maybe its something else?

http://www.geocities.com/kalmia332001/100_0740.jpg
thanks

Mitch

Poison ivy! Seriously, it's either poison ivy or poison oak - leaves
of three, let it be!

LOL. I've never seen poison ivy in person but that was my first thought,
too. Well, considering the placement of the ruler, the OP might already
have found out if it is, indeed, poison ivy.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 1, 7:21 am, FragileWarrior
wrote:
Ann wrote in news:ic5e33dtfdjt55v5b3qf0fa7n938lajqg5
@4ax.com:

expounded:

Thought it might be an Oak seedling but maybe its something else?

http://www.geocities.com/kalmia332001/100_0740.jpg
thanks

Mitch

Poison ivy! Seriously, it's either poison ivy or poison oak - leaves
of three, let it be!

LOL. I've never seen poison ivy in person but that was my first thought,
too. Well, considering the placement of the ruler, the OP might already
have found out if it is, indeed, poison ivy.

I don't know. I planted a lot of acorns last Fall and have been
looking for them lately. Seems the squirrels have gotten some and I
read somewhere that only about 1/7th of the ones planted germinate. I
thought PI too maybe.

thanks

Mitch

Old 01-05-2007, 01:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Actually, there's an Ash growing 20 or so feet up the hill, so maybe
indeed thats what it is. Time will tell.

Mitch

Old 01-05-2007, 07:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ann wrote in
:

expounded:

Thought it might be an Oak seedling but maybe its something else?

http://www.geocities.com/kalmia332001/100_0740.jpg
thanks

Mitch

Poison ivy! Seriously, it's either poison ivy or poison oak - leaves
of three, let it be!

LOL! Nothing like PI. Three-part compound leaves are pretty common,
incidentally.
Certainly not an ash or oak, either.

_Acer negundo_ (called "Manitoba maple" in my part of the world, "Box
elder" in the U.S.)

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk
R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/
Old 01-05-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

Thought it might be an Oak seedling but maybe its something else?

http://www.geocities.com/kalmia332001/100_0740.jpg

Not an oak... oaks have alternate leaves with lobed, but not divided,
leaf blades.

Not poison ivy... PI has alternate leaves also, trifoliolate, with a stalked
central leaflet.

Possibly an ash seedling, though most species have young leaves with 5-7
leaflets instead of just three. Leaves are opposite in most species.

Most likely a box elder seedling, Acer negundo -- youngest leaves are often
trifoliolate, with a central stalked petiole, but leaves are opposite
and what I see of the petiole looks good for A. negundo. Here's a
nice series of photos:
http://www.sbs.utexas.edu/mbierner/bio406D/images/pics/ace/acer_negundo.htm

Check the petiole base shape on your seedling vs. the ash you mention and
the photos of A. negundo. Also pull off a leaf (not a leaflet) and check
the patterns of the main veins leading into the stem -- in the fall, these
will be the "dots" inside the leaf scar.

Where was the photo taken?

Kay

Old 01-05-2007, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 1, 5:42 pm, Kay Lancaster wrote:
[...]

In central Maryland.

mitch

Old 02-05-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Where was the photo taken?

In central Maryland.

Makes Acer negundo a whole lot more possible then... if you said you'd
taken the photo in, say, Italy, I'd consider it a whole lot less likely.
(Native range of A. negundo:
http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/acer/negundo.htm )

There just isn't enough detail apparent in the photo to make me 100%
comfortable with calling it "for sure". But it sure looks like the
box elder seedlings I used to lead my botany students into and then
ask them what they were standing in, after they'd all assured me they
knew what poison ivy looked like and always avoided it. After they
came back down from attempting to levitate above "omg! poison ivy! and
I'm standing in it!" they were much more likely to stay out of PI for
real, and chuckle everytime we found more box elder.

Trying to id plants from a single photo is just not an easy thing to do.
Probabilities, not certainties, in most cases.

Kay

Old 02-05-2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 2, 5:42 am, Kay Lancaster wrote:
[...]

Thanks. BTW, the tree I referred to as Ash may be Ashleaf maple. Ash
is what a tree cutter called it when I asked him what it was..thanks
again Mitch