Old 08-05-2007, 12:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.landscape,rec.gardens

Default What kind of shrub is this?

I live in northern NJ. There are shrubs on the side of the building. They
lose their leaves in the fall, but their leaves recently came back and they
growing very fast. Was wondering what type of bush this is, and what the
best time of year to prune or shear them is if the goal is to hopefully only
trim them twice per year?

I would like to trim them in such a way that they eventually wind up being 4
feet tall at the beginning of the season. Their current height is as tall
as 6.5 feet. How do I accomplish this without harming the shrubs? Can
making them shorter be done gradually? (NOTE: Getting rid of them
altogether is NOT an option, nor is lopping them off near the roots.)

Here is a link to a photo: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bush.jpg

Thanks,

J.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:10 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.landscape,rec.gardens

On May 7, 7:26 pm, "Jay-n-123" wrote:
I live in northern NJ. There are shrubs on the side of the building. They
lose their leaves in the fall, but their leaves recently came back and they
growing very fast. Was wondering what type of bush this is, and what the
best time of year to prune or shear them is if the goal is to hopefully only
trim them twice per year?

I would like to trim them in such a way that they eventually wind up being 4
feet tall at the beginning of the season. Their current height is as tall
as 6.5 feet. How do I accomplish this without harming the shrubs? Can
making them shorter be done gradually? (NOTE: Getting rid of them
altogether is NOT an option, nor is lopping them off near the roots.)

Cannot tell for sure but it looks like my burning bushes. Do leaves
turn bright red/orange in the fall? At any rate, my bushes take well
to pruning. I can do severe pruning back in the winter.

Frank

Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.landscape,rec.gardens

On 8 May, 00:26, "Jay-n-123" wrote:
I live in northern NJ. There are shrubs on the side of the building. They
lose their leaves in the fall, but their leaves recently came back and they
growing very fast. Was wondering what type of bush this is, and what the
best time of year to prune or shear them is if the goal is to hopefully only
trim them twice per year?

I would like to trim them in such a way that they eventually wind up being 4
feet tall at the beginning of the season. Their current height is as tall
as 6.5 feet. How do I accomplish this without harming the shrubs? Can
making them shorter be done gradually? (NOTE: Getting rid of them
altogether is NOT an option, nor is lopping them off near the roots.)

Here is a link to a photo: http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeofpch/bush.jpg

Thanks,

J.

Hi from the UK
This looks very much like one of the 'Spindle Tree' (Euonymus elata
types). This would also go along with the 'Burning Bush' suggestion
for the foliage turns a great red in the Autumn - ooops The Fall :-)
It can be pruned back at almost any time, but best in late winter or
early spring - and yes if done early, you can cut it back quite hard
and it will re-grow again to around 3-4 feet. (The only thing is, that
you may lose the effect of the bright berries but cutting it back -
but the good thing is, that the new leaves will be a good fresh green,
and be spectacular in the FALL! lol)
Hope this helps
Regards
Data