Old 09-05-2007, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What kind of tree is this

I know this isn't a binary group, so I'll post the image as a link

http://photos.imageevent.com/eigenve...e/P4290109.JPG

Someone told me that this was a birch, but for some reason I thought Birch
trees didn't look like this. By the way I took this photo about 3 weeks
ago, the leaves aren't that much bigger now. I posted a down low shot due
to the fact the tree is pretty busted up and I'd say dead. This is the
prettiest angle I could get of it.

BTW: This might be a double post for some, I accidentially sent it to
rec.woodworking - not sure if that qualifies as a Freudian slip given the
topic.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

From the bark I would guess a Prunus sp. Perhaps a wild plum? Did it
have flowers in the spring?

sonny

Old 10-05-2007, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
oups.com...
From the bark I would guess a Prunus sp. Perhaps a wild plum? Did it

have flowers in the spring?

sonny

No flowers yet, it does produce some small white flowers around this time,
may not have bloomed yet our winter was a little more harsh than normal.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Eigenvector
writes

wrote in message
roups.com...
From the bark I would guess a Prunus sp. Perhaps a wild plum? Did it

have flowers in the spring?

sonny

No flowers yet, it does produce some small white flowers around this
time, may not have bloomed yet our winter was a little more harsh than
normal.

Then it's definitely not a birch; birches have catkins, with very small
greenish flowers.
--
Alias Ernest Major
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

In message , Eigenvector
writes

wrote in message
groups.com...
From the bark I would guess a Prunus sp. Perhaps a wild plum? Did it
have flowers in the spring?

sonny

No flowers yet, it does produce some small white flowers around this
time, may not have bloomed yet our winter was a little more harsh than
normal.

Then it's definitely not a birch; birches have catkins, with very small
greenish flowers.
--
Alias Ernest Major

Then it could very well be a plum. I hadn't even considered that this tree
might be a fruit treee, although I highly doubt it produces anything.