Old 10-05-2007, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default rabbits

Every spring we have hundreds of rabbits,this year I don't see any-Thank
God-,I am wondering if its because of hawk I a have noticed flying
around,surely the hawk could of not gotten all those rabbits,or do the
rabbits sense that a predator is around?

Old 10-05-2007, 01:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 10 May 2007 06:21:34 -0500, "tony pac"
wrote:

Every spring we have hundreds of rabbits,this year I don't see any-Thank
God-,I am wondering if its because of hawk I a have noticed flying
around,surely the hawk could of not gotten all those rabbits,or do the
rabbits sense that a predator is around?

Sometimes that happens where a year has low birth rates for whatever
reason. The frost may have been too late, etc. I know around here
the birds who'd ordinarily have their first brood fledging haven't
laid their first klutch. Lots of rain and dark days. It delays
production!
Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"tony pac" wrote in message
Every spring we have hundreds of rabbits,this year I don't see any-Thank
God-,I am wondering if its because of hawk I a have noticed flying
around,surely the hawk could of not gotten all those rabbits,or do the
rabbits sense that a predator is around?

Speaking of food tainted with strange additives from China (which we weren't
talking about, but anyway..), here's the other side of the issue:

http://italianfood.about.com/od/ital...it_recipes.htm

Of course, rabbits may be tainted with whatever hideous chemicals you or
your neighbors hose down the yard with, or maybe not.

Old 10-05-2007, 04:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"tony pac" wrote in message
Every spring we have hundreds of rabbits,this year I don't see any-Thank
God-,I am wondering if its because of hawk I a have noticed flying
around,surely the hawk could of not gotten all those rabbits,or do the
rabbits sense that a predator is around?

Our rabbit problem was alleviated first by a rabbit fence around the garden,
then by the new neighbor's 3 tomcats and Golden Retriever. The rabbits
apparently don't like the cats or the dog. We haven't seen a rabbit now for
over a year. Even the squirrels are getting scarce with none on the feeders
all last winter.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

On May 10, 7:21 am, "tony pac" wrote:
Every spring we have hundreds of rabbits,this year I don't see any-Thank
God-,I am wondering if its because of hawk I a have noticed flying
around,surely the hawk could of not gotten all those rabbits,or do the
rabbits sense that a predator is around?

The rabbits don't move out but the predators move in. Around here,
it's mostly foxes but I've even seen house cats kill baby rabbits.
Other factors like weather, disease and starvation can play a big
part. Unlike human populations, animal populations can vary wildly.
Frank

Old 11-05-2007, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
On May 10, 7:21 am, "tony pac" wrote:

Every spring we have hundreds of rabbits,this year I don't see any-Thank
God-,I am wondering if its because of hawk I a have noticed flying
around,surely the hawk could of not gotten all those rabbits,or do the
rabbits sense that a predator is around?

The rabbits don't move out but the predators move in. Around here,
it's mostly foxes but I've even seen house cats kill baby rabbits.
Other factors like weather, disease and starvation can play a big
part. Unlike human populations, animal populations can vary wildly.
Frank

And when the animal population outgrows its food supply the starvation
causes a big die off. Saw that in the deer population in Texas years
ago. Not enough hunters or food and the deer just starved to death.

George

[IMG] code is On

Rabbits, rabbits everywhere wind'n'stone United Kingdom 4 22-05-2008 08:15 PM
Rabbits Y United Kingdom 4 19-11-2003 06:03 PM
Rabbits and lawn fertilization Sigurd Kallhovde Lawns 0 12-10-2003 11:22 PM
rabbits and "burning bush" Jim Moran Lawns 5 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Rabbits! John Hutchison United Kingdom 18 03-03-2003 03:24 AM