Old 23-04-2007, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flea Beetle remedy anyone?

For the last 2 seasons, the flea beetle has ravaged most of my tender leaf
veg - even the leaves of my horseradish plants, looked like a swiss cheese
plant.
I've tried liquid deris, but to no effect. I'm prepared to try something a
bit stronger, so any ideas would be appreciated. TIA.
Bertie

Old 23-04-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 23, 12:41 pm, "Bertie Doe" wrote:
For the last 2 seasons, the flea beetle has ravaged most of my tender leaf
veg - even the leaves of my horseradish plants, looked like a swiss cheese
plant.
I've tried liquid deris, but to no effect. I'm prepared to try something a
bit stronger, so any ideas would be appreciated. TIA.
Bertie

I used a general bug killer spray (that said it worked for flee
beetle) and that worked for me. Wasn't sure about what it'd do to the
veg but the stuff didn't grow anyway.

Old 23-04-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...
For the last 2 seasons, the flea beetle has ravaged most of my tender leaf
veg - even the leaves of my horseradish plants, looked like a swiss cheese
plant.
I've tried liquid deris, but to no effect. I'm prepared to try something a
bit stronger, so any ideas would be appreciated. TIA.

We grow all our brassicas at home in Rootrainers and plant them out when
they are well grown that way they seem big enough to cope with a light
infection although I have resorted to Polysect on occasion when it's very
bad. Like last year.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-04-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden"wrote in message

We grow all our brassicas at home in Rootrainers and plant them out when
they are well grown that way they seem big enough to cope with a light
infection although I have resorted to Polysect on occasion when it's very
bad. Like last year.

Thanks Bob, I'll look out for Polysect and give it a try. I get my brassica
plugs from a local farmer, so no probs with the larger veg. My flea beetles
attack the salad leaved type veg, although they avoid my Webs Wonder, which
seems rather odd?

Bertie

Old 24-04-2007, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bertie Doe" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden"wrote in message

We grow all our brassicas at home in Rootrainers and plant them out when
they are well grown that way they seem big enough to cope with a light
infection although I have resorted to Polysect on occasion when it's very
bad. Like last year.

Thanks Bob, I'll look out for Polysect and give it a try. I get my
brassica plugs from a local farmer, so no probs with the larger veg. My
flea beetles attack the salad leaved type veg, although they avoid my Webs
Wonder, which seems rather odd?

Never ever had a Flea Beetle problem with lettuce, didn't think they liked
lettuce, only the cabbage family.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-04-2007, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dr dr is offline

Bertie Doe wrote:

For the last 2 seasons, the flea beetle has ravaged most of my tender leaf
veg - even the leaves of my horseradish plants, looked like a swiss cheese
plant.
I've tried liquid deris, but to no effect. I'm prepared to try something a
bit stronger, so any ideas would be appreciated. TIA.
Bertie

You have tried the sticky yellow traps I take it, hold it over the plants
and give the plant a tap, the flea beetles jump up and stick to the trap
usually offers a certain level of control. You could even place some
sticky material on paper under the plants first to catch any that make it
back to ground level.

Duncan

flea beetle problems Ook Gardening 3 15-05-2007 07:54 PM
flea beetle thehams United Kingdom 2 02-05-2006 12:35 AM
Flea Beetle Problem Craig Gardening 2 08-07-2005 10:47 PM
Asparagus Beetle - organic remedy ? David United Kingdom 2 04-05-2004 10:07 PM
Yikes! Corn Flea Beetles Phaedrine Stonebridge Edible Gardening 6 07-08-2003 09:02 PM