Old 23-05-2007, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Create Beautiful Hypertufa Garden Art Objects

Ann wrote in
:

FragileWarrior expounded:

It's the wrong time of year now but as winter rolls around, check out
the snowball makers at Walmart and similar stores. They make them up
to 10" or 12" size. PERFECT for orbs. The guy who is teaching our
class uses them.

Have you got a picture of this orb? Of the orb, not the teacher! ;-

No, I don't. It's like the mirror ones only made of hypertufa. He's got a
really cool technique for them. All in all, though, I'd rather have a pic
of the teacher?
Old 24-05-2007, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

FragileWarrior expounded:

It's the wrong time of year now but as winter rolls around, check out
the snowball makers at Walmart and similar stores. They make them up
to 10" or 12" size. PERFECT for orbs. The guy who is teaching our
class uses them.

Have you got a picture of this orb? Of the orb, not the teacher! ;-

No, I don't. It's like the mirror ones only made of hypertufa. He's got a
really cool technique for them. All in all, though, I'd rather have a pic
of the teacher?

Ooooh - tell us more. The technique sounds good. Is the teacher better?

LOL

Old 24-05-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

FragileWarrior expounded:

It's the wrong time of year now but as winter rolls around, check out
the snowball makers at Walmart and similar stores. They make them up
to 10" or 12" size. PERFECT for orbs. The guy who is teaching our
class uses them.

Have you got a picture of this orb? Of the orb, not the teacher! ;-

No, I don't. It's like the mirror ones only made of hypertufa. He's got a
really cool technique for them. All in all, though, I'd rather have a pic
of the teacher?

Ooooh - tell us more. The technique sounds good. Is the teacher better?

LOL

Ladies! REALLY.

- Bill

Old 24-05-2007, 11:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

FragileWarrior expounded:

It's the wrong time of year now but as winter rolls around, check
out the snowball makers at Walmart and similar stores. They make
them up to 10" or 12" size. PERFECT for orbs. The guy who is
teaching our class uses them.

Have you got a picture of this orb? Of the orb, not the teacher!
;-

No, I don't. It's like the mirror ones only made of hypertufa. He's
got a really cool technique for them. All in all, though, I'd rather
have a pic of the teacher?

Ooooh - tell us more. The technique sounds good. Is the teacher
better?

LOL

He uses a reinforcement fibre in the mix. No crappy chicken wire poking
out all over the place. Yeah, he's better than hypertufa. Cute as a bug
in rug, he is. (Hush, Bill, we like you, too.

Old 24-05-2007, 11:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/24/07 12:09 AM, in article
,
"Bill Rose" wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

FragileWarrior expounded:

It's the wrong time of year now but as winter rolls around, check
out the snowball makers at Walmart and similar stores. They make
them up to 10" or 12" size. PERFECT for orbs. The guy who is
teaching our class uses them.

Have you got a picture of this orb? Of the orb, not the teacher!
;-

No, I don't. It's like the mirror ones only made of hypertufa.
He's got a really cool technique for them. All in all, though, I'd
rather have a pic of the teacher?

Ooooh - tell us more. The technique sounds good. Is the teacher
better?

LOL

Ladies! REALLY.

- Bill

(Batting eyelashes)
What Bill?

And to get back to topic, I realized some of the sandcastle making
forms would be great for hypertufa!

Cheryl

Beside the sphere mold, this cute guy (I really must look up his name)
had a pyramid mold, too. That was rather cool, too. I was hard pressed
to say which one I like better and I collect spheres. He also came up
with an easier way to make bowls. I hope he's going to write an article
on it someday. When I go to the seminar, I'm taking my broken lampworked
beads to press into the outside of the form. I have a LOT of those. It
should be interesting. I'm really glad that the MGs put together this
seminar!
Old 24-05-2007, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/24/07 6:50 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

FragileWarrior expounded:

It's the wrong time of year now but as winter rolls around, check
out the snowball makers at Walmart and similar stores. They make
them up to 10" or 12" size. PERFECT for orbs. The guy who is
teaching our class uses them.

Have you got a picture of this orb? Of the orb, not the teacher!
;-

No, I don't. It's like the mirror ones only made of hypertufa. He's
got a really cool technique for them. All in all, though, I'd rather
have a pic of the teacher?

Ooooh - tell us more. The technique sounds good. Is the teacher
better?

LOL

He uses a reinforcement fibre in the mix. No crappy chicken wire poking
out all over the place. Yeah, he's better than hypertufa. Cute as a bug
in rug, he is. (Hush, Bill, we like you, too.

Do you have the brand name of the fiber? Might making finding it easier - I
swear there is a upper limit to the IQ at the local box store.

Cheryl

Old 24-05-2007, 01:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/24/07 6:56 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/24/07 12:09 AM, in article
,
"Bill Rose" wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

[...]

LAMP WORK BEADS - cool. I'd be willing to arrange a trade for a supply of
those.

Cheryl

Old 24-05-2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

Do you have the brand name of the fiber? Might making finding it
easier - I swear there is a upper limit to the IQ at the local box
store.

Cheryl

Nope, no brand name. Find a ready mix cement company and trot over to the
office and ask for "fibers". Sometimes they are easy to find, sometimes
they aren't, but if you find the right place they'll know right away what
you want.
Old 24-05-2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C27AF88B.69310%
:

LAMP WORK BEADS - cool. I'd be willing to arrange a trade for a supply of
those.

Cheryl

I'm not actively working right now so all I have is what I did last year.
I threw handfuls of them into local creeks around here before I discovered
there might be a use for them in other things.

Old 24-05-2007, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 May 2007 10:50:46 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

He uses a reinforcement fibre in the mix. No crappy chicken wire poking
out all over the place. Yeah, he's better than hypertufa. Cute as a bug
in rug, he is. (Hush, Bill, we like you, too.

The chicken wire I use I ball up to make orbs is all folded under and
no sharp edges poke out all over the place. I also use fiberglass
reinforcement in the mixture which I have to burn off after I'm done
making the thing.

I've seen people go over the entire orb using plain portland cement to
make it look very smooth, as well as others who use a hand held garden
fork to rough the surface up.
Old 24-05-2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 May 2007 08:07:47 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

Do you have the brand name of the fiber? Might making finding it easier - I
swear there is a upper limit to the IQ at the local box store.

Cheryl

I buy it from he

http://concretedepot.net/catalog/cat...FQhlYQodc1GV4A
Old 24-05-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 5/24/07 6:50 AM, in article
,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

[...]

I found "Fibermesh Inforce e3" at a commercial building products store
located in an industrial part of town. Big box and small hardware/home
improvement stores do not carry the stuff.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington

Old 24-05-2007, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/24/07 10:55 AM, in article aHh5i.9932$vp1.7070@trnddc06, "T r a v i s"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 5/24/07 6:50 AM, in article
,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/23/07 6:12 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

Ann wrote in
:

[...]

thanks

Old 26-05-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

A friends husband just went in for both knees on Thursday. He had ice packs on both,
and refused to take pain meds cause he felt the pain was manageable.
they removed the pain med from his IV drip
they took the ice packs off his knees
he is in agony

my mother was 82 and she had the worst knee done (a big time gardener). they put a
"cryocuff" on her, a thing that wraps around the knee and pumps ice water from a
little ice chest thru the tubing in the leg cuff. my mother, who was otherwise very
sensitive to pain said she had NO PAIN. well, she took the pain meds cause her back
was hurting. she used that cryocuff when she came home and said she didnt have pain.

I found this site online....
http://www.buyaircast.com/cryo-cuff-knee.htm

I saved this and used in for my DH after he had some knee work done. frankly, I
think these things are great to have around for after coming in from the garden.
strap em on, watch the news and cool the knees down for 1/2 hour probably would
prevent a lot of knee surgery down the line. INgrid

Ann wrote:

jangchub expounded:
I don't know. The pain is in and around the knee. I need a cane to
walk around and get up from the couch. So, the pain is either from
the procedure itself, or my knee is worse than it was before. About
how long does it take to heal from this procedure? I see the doctor
next week.

I don't know, V. My MIL had her knee replaced and it was awful -
sorry. It was swollen for months, and it's just now stopped being
tender. Now she's got to have another hip replacement. She's not
heavy, she's a walker, she's always tried to take care of herself. Of
course you're lots younger than she, and you had artho, so ......
Knees are such a crucial joint, they take a lot of abuse. Hopefully
yours will heal soon.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com