Old 20-05-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Narrow flowerbed against fence

I have a double driveway in my back of my property with an about a 1'
flower bed between the edge of the drive and the wooden laticed
fence. I'd love to cover the fence on both sides with something.
North Texas, I've got plenty of water, and would like the least labor
intensive choice.

I was thinking honeysuckle or lilac, or perhaps hedge roses. Lilac I
think, however, is too big. Don't know much about all this...

Thanks!

Old 21-05-2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 20, 10:11 pm, texas_gardener wrote:
I have a double driveway in my back of my property with an about a 1'
flower bed between the edge of the drive and the wooden laticed
fence. I'd love to cover the fence on both sides with something.
North Texas, I've got plenty of water, and would like the least labor
intensive choice.

I was thinking honeysuckle or lilac, or perhaps hedge roses. Lilac I
think, however, is too big. Don't know much about all this...

Thanks!

Honey suckle is great because it will cover a fence but does not get
out of control as russian vine does. A climbing rose and a clematis
would both compliment the honeysuckle and give you plenty of colour
for minimum effort. All the roses really need is some well rotted cows
manure or horse manure in spring or autumn. See http://www.leansmountworms.com
for manure

Old 22-05-2007, 06:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

I'm not sure it this will grow in your locale, but Hardenbergia
violacea is a fabulous vine for winter color. Intense purple flowers
that look like miniature sweet peas. It's very manageable here in So.
California.

Old 22-05-2007, 02:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/20/2007 4:11 PM, texas_gardener wrote:
I have a double driveway in my back of my property with an about a 1'
flower bed between the edge of the drive and the wooden laticed
fence. I'd love to cover the fence on both sides with something.
North Texas, I've got plenty of water, and would like the least labor
intensive choice.

I was thinking honeysuckle or lilac, or perhaps hedge roses. Lilac I
think, however, is too big. Don't know much about all this...

Thanks!

You might consider jasmine. Star will flower off and on year round;
Confederate flowers once a year in spring for one or two weeks. I
haven't seen Asian flower at all.

All three climb, but Asian will want to run on the ground: makes a great
ground cover down here but can be invasive. I've seen 10-15' runners
along the base of a fence or wall. Star and Confederate both smell
heavenly when flowering.

Good luck with the bees.
--
Ted
I wasn't born in Texas but

Quondo Omni Flunkus Mortati (When All Else Fails, Play Dead.)