Old 28-05-2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best anvil pruners?

What are the best and most sturdy anvil style ratchet pruners for a
reasonable price?

Old 28-05-2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On May 28, 1:11 am, Rhiannon Pendragon wrote:
What are the best and most sturdy anvil style ratchet pruners for a
reasonable price?

I sharpen tools for a living and see quite a few pruning tools and I
can't recall ever seeing a ratchetting set I liked.
Buy a small set of lopping shears or use a saw.

Old 29-05-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

What are the best and most sturdy anvil style ratchet pruners for a

It's sort of like the old programming motto:
"Cheap, fast, right. Pick two."

I don't care for the quality of cut that you get with anvil pruners,
unless you're just using them for cutting downed wood for disposal.
If you're going to be pruning with them, I really think your plants
will be better off with bypass pruners or a saw, depending on the size
of the wood.

That said, I've got an Ames ratcheting anvil lopper that handles
2" oak pretty easily that I think I paid about $25-30 for, and seems to
be holding up well. Definitely first cousin to a bolt-cutter.
It's gotten me through about 10 years of windstorm
cleanup. But for live stuff (or stuff I'm not clearing out),
I'm a Felco #2 user.

Kay