Old 01-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Rolcut anvil secateurs

Rolcut Anvil Secateurs.
Anyone know what has happened to this British make of secateurs? Neighbour,
a retired Head Gardener, is asking as his, he has had for ever, are now
showing their age and he needs a replacement pair.
He tells me he has done the local GC's without success, indeed he got blank
looks from most.

I managed to find an on-line shop in the USA advertising lots of "these
British made secateurs" but I can't find anything about them on a UK site.
Strange!

--
Regards
Bob

Old 01-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Victoria Clare

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Rolcut Anvil Secateurs.
Anyone know what has happened to this British make of secateurs?
Neighbour, a retired Head Gardener, is asking as his, he has had for
ever, are now showing their age and he needs a replacement pair.
He tells me he has done the local GC's without success, indeed he got
blank looks from most.

http://www.buyersguide.co.uk/document/eric_hunter/
http://www.staxtradecentres.co.uk/ list Rolcut as a brand they offer.

http://www.spahill.org.uk/ had them in 2003 for sale to allotmenteers - it
may be worth giving them a ring and asking where they got them, as the 2
links above are very much wholesale.

They appear to be made in the Punjab, according to
http://www.uniqueforging.com/ - perhaps they are packed, designed or
marketed from the UK ? Or perhaps 'rolcut' is a design rather than a brand
name ?

I found these through Yahoo UK - sometimes a better search engine than
Google for finding really obscure stuff and smaller businesses.

(because it judges using less emphasis on link anchor text and link
popularity, and more on what's actually there in the page, in case you are
interested...)

Victoria
Old 01-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Cat

They appear to be made in the Punjab, according to
http://www.uniqueforging.com/ - perhaps they are packed, designed or
marketed from the UK ? Or perhaps 'rolcut' is a design rather than a brand
name ?

If I may venture a possible explanation: sometimes a manufacturer goes belly
up, and their product brand is picked up by another, though the quality of
the goods may change. I seem to recall a particular brand of tools - not
gardening tools - where this happened. This auto electrician friend of mine
found out that his fav tools were now manufactured in some godforsaken part
of the world, and were quasi disposable, they were such poor quality.
Maybe that's the case here?

--
Cat(h)
The world swirls...

Old 01-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Bob Hobden

"Victoria Clare" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote
Rolcut Anvil Secateurs.
Anyone know what has happened to this British make of secateurs?
Neighbour, a retired Head Gardener, is asking as his, he has had for
ever, are now showing their age and he needs a replacement pair.
He tells me he has done the local GC's without success, indeed he got
blank looks from most.

http://www.buyersguide.co.uk/document/eric_hunter/

RH..I had seen this site but it seemed to be Trade only but under the
circumstances it is worth a phone call. I've printed it off for my
neighbour.

http://www.staxtradecentres.co.uk/ list Rolcut as a brand they offer.

RH..Trade again.

http://www.spahill.org.uk/ had them in 2003 for sale to allotmenteers - it
may be worth giving them a ring and asking where they got them, as the 2
links above are very much wholesale.

RH..Certainly worth a phone call to discover their source

They appear to be made in the Punjab, according to
http://www.uniqueforging.com/ - perhaps they are packed, designed or
marketed from the UK ? Or perhaps 'rolcut' is a design rather than a brand
name ?

RH.. I concluded they were just using the name to describe the type of
secateurs but if the owner of the Rolcut name liked I'm sure a court action
could ensue.

I found these through Yahoo UK - sometimes a better search engine than
Google for finding really obscure stuff and smaller businesses.

(because it judges using less emphasis on link anchor text and link
popularity, and more on what's actually there in the page, in case you are
interested...)

Thanks.

Old 02-09-2004, 06:57 PM
Rod

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:14:44 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Rolcut Anvil Secateurs.
Anyone know what has happened to this British make of secateurs? Neighbour,
a retired Head Gardener, is asking as his, he has had for ever, are now
showing their age and he needs a replacement pair.
He tells me he has done the local GC's without success, indeed he got blank
looks from most.

I managed to find an on-line shop in the USA advertising lots of "these
British made secateurs" but I can't find anything about them on a UK site.
Strange!

Used to use those when working in our garden at home with my Dad,
horrible things. Let him try your Felco secateurs, he won't want to
use his Rolcut ones again.

Rod

Weed my email address to reply.

Old 02-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Bob Hobden

"Rod" wrote after Bob
wrote:

Rolcut Anvil Secateurs.
Anyone know what has happened to this British make of secateurs?

Neighbour,
a retired Head Gardener, is asking as his, he has had for ever, are now
showing their age and he needs a replacement pair.
He tells me he has done the local GC's without success, indeed he got

blank
looks from most.

I managed to find an on-line shop in the USA advertising lots of "these
British made secateurs" but I can't find anything about them on a UK

site.
Strange!

Used to use those when working in our garden at home with my Dad,
horrible things. Let him try your Felco secateurs, he won't want to
use his Rolcut ones again.

Me too, except my dad left most of the gardening to me; and I would agree
with you Rod but lend anyone used to a Rolcut my Felco No.7's, would you?
:-)
Anyway, he prefers Anvil Secateurs, always has (and always will).

I mailed the US firm I found www.wigginsinc.com and Joe Wiggins replied
immediately to the effect that Rolcut (of Horsham?) were bought out by a
competitor some years ago and closed down. He has the only remaining
original stock as far as he knows.
I have therefore ordered from him a pair of Rolcut No'2's, total cost
including postage from the US is only about £12.50 although I did have to
phone him to order.
The postage is only US$6 to the UK, Joe assures me, for any pruners (as they
call them).
They are therefore very cheap for the solid metal product they are and
compare very favourably with any Anvil one's out in the marketplace now.
Are our Felco's 4 times better?

Old 03-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Rod" wrote after Bob
wrote:

[...]

Did you actually get Rolcut from the USA and was it up to the previous good quality please
Regards
James Furze
Old 05-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Registered User

Hello,

There seems to be a bit of question about the RolCut Company. Here is what I know. Some years ago my company bought a stock of Rolcut equipment to sell here in the US. Unfortunately they did not sell well. I understand that the Rolcut Company was then sold to another company that wanted to eliminate the competition; they closed the RolCut Company, Thus ending the source of real RolCut goods. Some other company then started making goods and calling them "RolCut" but they were not the same quality as the original RolCut.

Over the years I have been contacted by many people to send RolCut goods mostly back to the UK. We have been happy to do that. We do have some stock on hand and also have an online store at www.springwateranimalsupply.com or our contact info is at www.wigginsinc.com for anyone looking for these goods.

Old 24-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered User

Hi Bob and to all asking about Rolcut secetuers

I worked for the company based in Blatchford Road, Horsham, West Sussex from 1989 to when they were bought out about 5 years later by Fiskars based in Wales. The Rolcut design and all rights went to Fiskars, where myself being Rolcut's Blade Shop Supervisor and the supervisor from the assembly line were sent to Wales to demonstrate the manufacturing equipment used by Rolcut to Fiskars management and staff prior to ourselves being made redundant.

Rolcut's owner was a chap called Christian Grinling and the works manager was Ray Raine. I am not sure if they are around anymore as they were both quite elderly when the company was taken over.

I hope this answers the question once and for all!! Rolcut was a brand and company name but am curious if the word Rolcut has been used by other manufacturers to describe the rolling action of the blade over the anvil!
Old 17-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1965 View Post
[...]

That later history of Rolcut is very interesting - have a look at this website Original LÖWE - Original Löwe The English translation in the 'globe' icon top right - look at Our Company / History Link - You will see the great British Secateur was really German !! - Interesting?

anvil secateurs? stuart noble United Kingdom 18 12-09-2010 04:45 PM
Bypass or anvil lopper? Doc Lawns 3 14-11-2009 12:08 AM
Best anvil pruners? Rhiannon Pendragon Gardening 2 29-05-2007 03:42 AM
looking for roicut anvil secateurs trooperbill United Kingdom 0 23-11-2006 11:23 AM
secateurs Pam Moore United Kingdom 0 07-02-2003 10:14 AM