Old 14-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Default Felco Pruners?

I am in need of some new pruning shears, and have been thinking about
ordering some "Filcos" because of all the good things I have heard about
them.
Is it true, Are they worth the money, of should I just buy some "Coronas"?
All of the stores im my area are out of stock, and won't be getting them
in until next spring. Well, I need to do a winter pruning, so I need to
buy them this fall; go figure. It seems as though all of the stores ran
out of the #2 first. Does anyone know what size is most common / useful?
All comments appreciated, Ken..

Old 14-08-2003, 06:12 PM
SugarChile

I've owned Corona's in the past, and while they are more acceptable than a
"cheapo" brand, they are nowhere as good as a Felco. I've got the Felco #7,
with the rotating handle, and it is well worth the money. It fits neatly in
my hand, the handle lessens stress on my hand and wrist, and the blade cuts
surely and cleanly. I think that in the long run, you save money with
Felco's, because they last much longer. I used to wear out a pair of
pruners, or even two, each year, but my Felco's are on their fourth year
now. I've had to replace the spring, for just a few bucks; all the parts
are replaceable if needed. I do take a few minutes each winter to sharpen
the blades with a hand stone.

Get the holster while you're at it. I felt like an incredible garden geek
the first couple of times I hooked it on, but now it's second nature when I
go out to garden, and I like having the pruners handy at all times.

There's a lot of online sources, here's some:
http://www.felcostore.com/pruners.jsp
http://209.35.185.42/ShopSite/Felco_Pruners.html
http://raysbaginc.com/page10.html

Cheers,
Sue

Zone 6, Southcentral PA

Old 15-08-2003, 06:09 AM
OTM

"SugarChile" wrote in message ...
[...]

I've had a Felco 2 for four+ years, and it still looks and performs
like new. I bought a pair of Fiskars shears at the same time that I
purchased the Felcos, and the Fiskar shears are completely useless
now. I was doubtful about Felco at first, but when you realize that
EVERY part of the shear is replaceable, your shears should last you a
lifetime.

I just purchased a Felco 7 shear (with rotating handle) and also
ordered some lubricating spray and two sharpening stones from
http://www.felcostore.com/. I did a bit of research into the prices
before I ordered, and they seemed to have the best prices and
shipping. Check out the parts page - you'll find almost every part
that you'll ever need for any of your Felco shears.

I'll never buy any other brand. They are really worth it.

Olga.
Old 15-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Jan Flora

In article , "Kenneth D. Schillinger"
wrote:

I am in need of some new pruning shears, and have been thinking about
ordering some "Filcos" because of all the good things I have heard about
them.
Is it true, Are they worth the money, of should I just buy some "Coronas"?
All of the stores im my area are out of stock, and won't be getting them
in until next spring. Well, I need to do a winter pruning, so I need to
buy them this fall; go figure. It seems as though all of the stores ran
out of the #2 first. Does anyone know what size is most common / useful?
All comments appreciated, Ken..

I bought Felco #8's and a scabbard in, gee, 1976 or so. I've never needed
or wanted another pair of snips since. (My botany class took a field trip
to the Berkeley Botanical Garden and we noticed that *all* of the gardeners
there were using Felcos, so I bought some. They're great.)

I think there are some new ergonomic designs out, but buy Felco brand.
You'll love 'em.

Jan

Old 16-08-2003, 11:24 PM
Milt

It doesn't sound as cool and maybe isn't as cool but Sears Craftsman pruners
seem to work well and if they ever give trouble, take them back and they
will give you a new pair. Probably less than half the price.

Old 17-08-2003, 06:02 AM
BLueCoBra

"Milt" wrote in message
It doesn't sound as cool and maybe isn't as cool but Sears Craftsman

pruners
seem to work well and if they ever give trouble, take them back and they
will give you a new pair. Probably less than half the price.

I use the Sears Craftsman Handi-Cut Shears. I always buy Craftsman tools for
my good tools because they have a life-time guarantee. If you ever have a
problem with one of their tools, just bring it in and they'll replace it
with a brand new one for free.
My 2¢

BLueCoBra

--
- "In those cool shades, those sunny paths,
My heart forgets her (his) care.

Old 17-08-2003, 07:12 AM
omi

"Milt" wrote in message
It doesn't sound as cool and maybe isn't as cool but Sears Craftsman

pruners
seem to work well and if they ever give trouble, take them back and

they
will give you a new pair. Probably less than half the price.

I use a Felco and I think it's great. But I have also used others and
they were okay too. I believe I am taking better care of my Felco and
am less likely to lose it like I did the others because of the higher
price (Not sure if this qualifies as a good reason for buying the
Felco). -Olin

Old 17-08-2003, 08:02 AM
John

"Milt" wrote in
:

It doesn't sound as cool and maybe isn't as cool but Sears Craftsman
pruners seem to work well and if they ever give trouble, take them
back and they will give you a new pair. Probably less than half the
price.

"Kenneth D. Schillinger" wrote in message
I am in need of some new pruning shears, and have been thinking about
ordering some "Filcos" because of all the good things I have heard
about them.
Is it true, Are they worth the money, of should I just buy some
"Coronas"? All of the stores im my area are out of stock, and won't
be getting them in until next spring. Well, I need to do a winter
pruning, so I need to buy them this fall; go figure. It seems as
though all of the stores ran out of the #2 first. Does anyone know
what size is most common / useful? All comments appreciated, Ken..

I have owned Sears "Crapsman" shears and you are correct you have to
continually take them back. I purchased Felcos in 94 and have never had
any problems, they are worth the additional cost.
Old 17-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Jan Flora

In article 3f3db00a_1@newsfeed, "BLueCoBra"
wrote:

"Milt" wrote in message
It doesn't sound as cool and maybe isn't as cool but Sears Craftsman

pruners
seem to work well and if they ever give trouble, take them back and they
will give you a new pair. Probably less than half the price.

I use the Sears Craftsman Handi-Cut Shears. I always buy Craftsman tools for
my good tools because they have a life-time guarantee. If you ever have a
problem with one of their tools, just bring it in and they'll replace it
with a brand new one for free.
My 2¢

BLueCoBra

Snap-On Tools has the same guarantee for mechanics tools. They cost more
for good reason -- they're better tools. You can work with them all day long,
every day and they're a pleasure to work with. Crapsman tools aren't good
to work with extensively, but they'll get the job done.

I buy Craftsman tools when it's stuff that I won't use often.

If you're going to spend *many* hours with a specific tool in your hand, buy
good tools. If you just need to use something now & then, go ahead and buy
cheap stuff, but don't come whining to me when the tool breaks and you get
hurt because it failed, and you drew blood. BTDT. That's why I buy good tools.

I have *enough* scars on my hands and arms from cheap tools right now. Don't
need any more, thankyouverymuch.

Jan

Old 17-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

Thanks for all of your input.
The day before yesterday I gave in and ordered the Felco #7 pruners
With rotating handles. The rotating handle part sounds weird, but all
whom wrote said that they were easy to get used to.
I ordered them from:
http://www.felcostore.com/pruners.jsp
because they had not only the best price, but they carry all the
replacement parts. The price was $18.00 less than local pricing even
after paying shipping. I still might have gone with the local seller,
however they weren't willing to offer a return if I didn't like the pruners.
Hopefully they will arrive in time to do a little summer pruning to open
the canopy of some of my apple trees.
Regards, Ken.

Old 19-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Angela Dougherty

Congratulations on buying a tool that will give you amazing function and
performance along with comfort, and dare I say, pleasure. Last summer I
bought Felco 10 (the lefty version of the 7) and have reduced many an
overgrown shrub to sticks. My husband was so impressed, he bought the
7. I also got replacement blades & springs at a closeout sale, but
haven't needed them. I would recommend a honing/sharpening stone and
oil to keep everything sharp and rust-free, and they will last forever.

Enjoy!
Angela

Old 19-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Kenneth D. Schillinger

You said you have the lefty version and your husband has the righty
version. I am somewhat ambidextrous when pruning; it's going to be
interesting to see how the rotating handles perform in an "offhand
application"
Waiting open handed, Ken..

Old 20-08-2003, 03:43 AM
Dan Musicant

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:15:39 -0700, "Kenneth D. Schillinger"
wrote:

:I am in need of some new pruning shears, and have been thinking about
rdering some "Filcos" because of all the good things I have heard about
:them.
:Is it true, Are they worth the money, of should I just buy some "Coronas"?
:All of the stores im my area are out of stock, and won't be getting them
:in until next spring. Well, I need to do a winter pruning, so I need to
:buy them this fall; go figure. It seems as though all of the stores ran
ut of the #2 first. Does anyone know what size is most common / useful?
:All comments appreciated, Ken..

I just bought myself the #2, and it's pretty nice. New, of course, it's
real sharp. The handles are bright orange, so you aren't as apt to lose
or forget and leave it in the yard. I've seen cheap Chinese knock offs
and bought one but the spring popped off and I never found it. I put on
another spring, but it's really not in the same class as the Felco.