Old 19-01-2011, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best item to sharpen secateurs /pruners

My secateurs and pruners and loppers invariably need sharpening and I
should really make a resolution to do what experts say and don't wait
for them to get blunt but to sharpen after I have used them EVERY time
However I have a carborundum stone which I use for chisels etc. but I'm
hopeless in getting the right angle.
Is there anything that you would recommend to use on Felco etc. I think
darlac do one but i wondered if stones were better than say those rod
shaped sharpeners?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 19-01-2011, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
My secateurs and pruners and loppers invariably need sharpening and I
should really make a resolution to do what experts say and don't wait for
them to get blunt but to sharpen after I have used them EVERY time
However I have a carborundum stone which I use for chisels etc. but I'm
hopeless in getting the right angle.
Is there anything that you would recommend to use on Felco etc. I think
darlac do one but i wondered if stones were better than say those rod
shaped sharpeners?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
http://www.amersham-gardening.net

I would recommend one of those little diamond encrusted sharpeners - they
look a bit like a nailfile. Just follow the sahpe of the angle of the blade
and in a few strokes the edge will be restored.

The sharpeners I have came in a plastic packet - two sharpeners, one coarse,
one fine.

Bill

Old 19-01-2011, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
My secateurs and pruners and loppers invariably need sharpening and I
should really make a resolution to do what experts say and don't wait
for them to get blunt but to sharpen after I have used them EVERY time
However I have a carborundum stone which I use for chisels etc. but I'm
hopeless in getting the right angle.
Is there anything that you would recommend to use on Felco etc. I think
darlac do one but i wondered if stones were better than say those rod
shaped sharpeners?

Dunno, I do secateurs and the kitchen knives with a small carborundum
stone that I pinched out of my dad's toolbox in about 1970.
--
Sue ]
Old 20-01-2011, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 19, 11:15*pm, Darkside wrote:
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes

My secateurs and pruners and loppers invariably need sharpening and I
should really make a resolution to do what experts say and don't wait
for them to get blunt but to sharpen after I have used them EVERY time
However I have a carborundum stone which I use for chisels etc. but I'm
hopeless in getting the right angle.
Is there anything that you would recommend to use on Felco etc. I think
darlac do one but i wondered if stones were better than say those rod
shaped sharpeners?

Dunno, I do secateurs and the kitchen knives with a small carborundum
stone that I pinched out of my dad's toolbox in about 1970. *
--
Sue *]

Try these people
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Eze+Lap+F...1 23&s=451764
Old 20-01-2011, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message
news
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
My secateurs and pruners and loppers invariably need sharpening and I
should really make a resolution to do what experts say and don't wait
for them to get blunt but to sharpen after I have used them EVERY time
However I have a carborundum stone which I use for chisels etc. but I'm
hopeless in getting the right angle.
Is there anything that you would recommend to use on Felco etc. I think
darlac do one but i wondered if stones were better than say those rod
shaped sharpeners?

Dunno, I do secateurs and the kitchen knives with a small carborundum
stone that I pinched out of my dad's toolbox in about 1970.
--
Sue ]

Does he know where it went ??????

I have a small one as well which was given to me by a rep years ago. I
believe they were 'samples'. I have a normal conventional sized one for
scissors, shears, knives, plane iron and wood chisels.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 20-01-2011, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 19:52:48 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

My secateurs and pruners and loppers invariably need sharpening and I
should really make a resolution to do what experts say and don't wait
for them to get blunt but to sharpen after I have used them EVERY time
However I have a carborundum stone which I use for chisels etc. but I'm
hopeless in getting the right angle.
Is there anything that you would recommend to use on Felco etc. I think
darlac do one but i wondered if stones were better than say those rod
shaped sharpeners?

Janet

Found this.

http://hotfile.com/dl/82316038/3faf2...ening.pdf.html

Wait a while then download, well worth it.
Rick... (The other Rick)
Old 20-01-2011, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
I would recommend one of those little diamond encrusted sharpeners -
they
look a bit like a nailfile. Just follow the sahpe of the angle of the blade
and in a few strokes the edge will be restored.

Ray has one of those and uses it on my kitchen knives, too. It's brilliant!
The sharpeners I have came in a plastic packet - two sharpeners, one
coarse,
one fine.
Bill

Make? Brand? There seem to be loads on the market and some less useful
than others!!
Old 20-01-2011, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
These are superb and last a long time...

http://www.dmtsharp.com/category/gardening.htm

Getting hold of them may be a problem but it will be worth it.
I use them (red and green) for the kitchen knives too.

Er um .............. yes but i don't understand the website!! They
recommend the ones that fold but then present you with about 200 (well
slight exaggeration there) 20 options all sorts of different grits or
something. Which of these do you recommend? They seem to have reference
numbers or letters.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 20-01-2011, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
Try these people
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Eze+Lap+F...1 23&s=451764

Do I want fine or super fine David?

Old 20-01-2011, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 20, 7:29*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
,
Dave Hill writes

Try these people
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Eze+Lap+F...d+Sharpener?o=....

Do I want fine or super fine David?

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Associationhttp://www.amersham-gardening.net

I realy don't know, like you I am thinking about buying, but I
wouldn't go for very fine for garden use

Three diamond grits are available.Medium (400 grit) for fast
sharpening where a high finish quality is required .Fine ( 600 grit)
that has the ability to sharpen a dull knife in less than a minute and
bring the edge to a razor sharp finish.Superfine (1200 grit) is
designed to polish and fine finish to mirror perfection.
From Rutlands site
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools.../502M/eze-fold
David

Old 20-01-2011, 09:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 20, 9:22*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jan 20, 7:29*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:

In article
,
Dave Hill writes

Try these people
http://www.shopwiki.co.uk/_Eze+Lap+F...d+Sharpener?o=...

Do I want fine or super fine David?

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Associationhttp://www.amersham-gardening.net

I realy don't know, like you I am thinking about buying, but I
wouldn't go for very fine for garden use

Three diamond grits are available.Medium (400 grit) for fast
sharpening where a high finish quality is required .Fine ( 600 grit)
that has the ability to sharpen a dull knife in less than a minute and
bring the edge to a razor sharp finish.Superfine (1200 grit) is
designed to polish and fine finish to mirror perfection.
From Rutlands sitehttp://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools/sharpening/stones-/502M/eze-fold
David

With more browsing on the Rutland site I have just found these
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools...stone-set-of-3
Look like a good buy but p&p is another £5.95 so may be worth seeing
if they have anything else to go with the sharpeners.
David
Old 20-01-2011, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
I realy don't know, like you I am thinking about buying, but I
wouldn't go for very fine for garden use

Three diamond grits are available.Medium (400 grit) for fast
sharpening where a high finish quality is required .Fine ( 600 grit)
that has the ability to sharpen a dull knife in less than a minute and
bring the edge to a razor sharp finish.

Might go for fine then!
Old 20-01-2011, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

Bob Hobden writes

These are superb and last a long time...

http://www.dmtsharp.com/category/gardening.htm

Getting hold of them may be a problem but it will be worth it.
I use them (red and green) for the kitchen knives too.

Er um .............. yes but i don't understand the website!! They
recommend the ones that fold but then present you with about 200 (well
slight exaggeration there) 20 options all sorts of different grits or
something. Which of these do you recommend? They seem to have reference
numbers or letters.

I use the Diafold ones in red and green.
Black.. (60 mocron/220mesh) Course for removing material.
Blue... (45 micron/325 mesh) Medium for grinding an edge.
Red.... (23 micron/600 mesh) Fine for making a sharp edge, sharpening.
Green. (9 micron/1200 mesh) for polishing an edge, honing to a razor
sharpness.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 20-01-2011, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
With more browsing on the Rutland site I have just found these
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/hand-tools...stone-set-of-3
Look like a good buy but p&p is another £5.95 so may be worth seeing
if they have anything else to go with the sharpeners.
David

Felco have a diamond sharpener which is a huge 19.00 . Probably good but
still makes you wince if you are paying for it
Old 21-01-2011, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I realy don't know, like you I am thinking about buying, but I
wouldn't go for very fine for garden use

Three diamond grits are available.Medium (400 grit) for fast
sharpening where a high finish quality is required .Fine ( 600 grit)
that has the ability to sharpen a dull knife in less than a minute and
bring the edge to a razor sharp finish.

Might go for fine then!
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
http://www.amersham-gardening.net

I don't wish to confuse this issue, but just to point out that the diamond
sharpeners I have are DTM and are the Red sharpener (Fine) and the Blue
sharpner (Coarse). It seems the package has space for two sharpeners but
the blurb mentions a Green sharpener (very Fine) !

This suggests that the last one (Green) is not a generally required item. I
can't compare the grit sizes with those quoted by Dave as these are
referred to as Red - 25 micron, and Blue 45 micron !

Best wishes,

Bill