Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-05-2007, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Compost

I have gardened on and off for a number of years, but have really
jumped into veggies and landscaping since I got a place in the boonies
eight years ago. I don't seem to have too many problems with the
basics, and I go organic as much as I can.

In that vein, I intend to venture into composting.
The cleared portion of my land, around the buildings, that I mow
comprises about four or so acres of generic local weeds, fescue that
has blown in from the neighbors up the road, and whatever forbs and
juvie trees take root come spring. I have no "lawn".
Can I gather these clippings and, after the proper treatment and
ageing, use them in the garden, with the roses and other flowers, or
as cover / mulch here and there? Will doing so simply re-distribute
weed seed?

I manage my 63 acres for wildlife, and plant trees and brush from the
state -- too damn many trees to keep up with Would the well aged
compost from these clippings be OK to put in the "holes" that the
trees get planted in?

Thanx for any help.

cheers

oz