Old 03-06-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How hard is it to transplant some lavender?

Denver: Our lavender is growing like weeds and taking over our planter
beds here. I'd like to transplant SOME if it all over the yard and let it
take over some other areas instead. How hard is it to transplant? Can I
just stick a shovel in it and dig some up to transplant?

Old 03-06-2007, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Angela Marsh wrote :

Denver: Our lavender is growing like weeds and taking over our
planter beds here. I'd like to transplant SOME if it all over the
yard and let it take over some other areas instead. How hard is it to
transplant? Can I just stick a shovel in it and dig some up to
transplant?

The reason that I asked this, is not that I have a hard time transplanting
things, but with this lavender, I tried digging into a huge bed of it with
my big shovel and it won't even cut the stuff. How can I dig some of it up
to transplant then?

Old 03-06-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

Angela Marsh wrote:
Angela Marsh wrote :

Denver: Our lavender is growing like weeds and taking over our
planter beds here. I'd like to transplant SOME if it all over the
yard and let it take over some other areas instead. How hard is it to
transplant? Can I just stick a shovel in it and dig some up to
transplant?

The reason that I asked this, is not that I have a hard time transplanting
things, but with this lavender, I tried digging into a huge bed of it with
my big shovel and it won't even cut the stuff. How can I dig some of it up
to transplant then?

Instead of transplanting, take cuttings. Lavender is in the same family
as mint, salvia, and oregano. It should be easy to get cuttings to root.

Use young, succulent shoots. Cut just below a leaf joint. Remove the
two lowest sets of leaves. Pot up in a moist mix of 3 parts clean,
coarse sand and 2 parts peat moss WITH NO ADDED NUTRIENTS. (When there
are no roots, nutrients in the potting mix will promote fungus and rot.)
The use of a rooting hormone is strongly suggested.

When cutting lavender, be sure to keep some leaves on any branch you
cut. If you cut below the lowest leaf, the branch will die.

Lavender prefers a fast-draining, lean soil (not an abundance of
nutrients). It also prefers arid conditions, so don't over-water.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html
Old 03-06-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 19:30:16 -0500, Angela Marsh
wrote:

Denver: Our lavender is growing like weeds and taking over our planter
beds here. I'd like to transplant SOME if it all over the yard and let it
take over some other areas instead. How hard is it to transplant? Can I
just stick a shovel in it and dig some up to transplant?

I grew lavender from seed which is a long process. During that time I
transplanted the seedlings and they survived just fine. Although
lavender prefers dry soils, you should water them immediately after
the transplant. No fertilizer.

Old 05-06-2007, 02:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Denver: Our lavender is growing like weeds and taking over our planter
beds here. I'd like to transplant SOME if it all over the yard and let it
take over some other areas instead. How hard is it to transplant? Can I
just stick a shovel in it and dig some up to transplant?

Try browsing http://www.sunshinelavenderfarm.com/planting.htm
I'm personally acquanted with Annie Baggett, the owner of this
business. She's both expert and friendly enough to give the best
advice you can get on this subject of moving lavender plants.
Lavenderis particularly difficult to maintain here in N. Carolina and
she has made a thriving busines of it over several years.