Old 12-06-2007, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Lemon Balm

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy
Old 12-06-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy Rose expounded:

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

I'll go out and look at it in the morning. Lemon balm is the herb of
the year for the Herb Society of America. Here's some info til then
http://herbsociety.org/lemonbalm/index.php

And please, Billy, stop feeding those damned trolls! Snip crossposts.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 12-06-2007, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 11, 6:23 pm, Billy Rose wrote:
Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy

Billy
Yes I grow Lemon Balm, or rather, it grows itself. It's been over 10
years since I actually planted it, and it comes up someplace in the
garden every year.

I have never seen any pink on it at all, not on leaves nor stems.
Yes, it has a lemon flavor, but mostly a very distinct lemon odor when
the leaves are crushed (even when it's just a tiny seedling) That's
the
way I identify it early on. Very pleasant and fresh scent.

Emilie

Old 12-06-2007, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

And please, Billy, stop feeding those damned trolls! Snip crossposts.

Honest, I try only to feed my cute little tree rats. It must be spring
because they are chasing each other up and down the cable TV wire and up
and down the poles. Something must have happened to my chosen little
tree rat. I put out a walnut every morning for her/him but after a
couple of years my tree rat stopped coming, about two months ago. He/she
would always come before 8 o'clock AM. Now the nut just sits there
sometimes until the afternoon. I can't help but wonder what ever
happened to my little squirrel. They are so cute.

- Billy
Old 12-06-2007, 07:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article . com,
mleblanca wrote:

On Jun 11, 6:23 pm, Billy Rose wrote:
Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy

Billy
Yes I grow Lemon Balm, or rather, it grows itself. It's been over 10
years since I actually planted it, and it comes up someplace in the
garden every year.

I have never seen any pink on it at all, not on leaves nor stems.
Yes, it has a lemon flavor, but mostly a very distinct lemon odor when
the leaves are crushed (even when it's just a tiny seedling) That's
the
way I identify it early on. Very pleasant and fresh scent.

Emilie

Very odd. I have three unidentified mints from last year. Why they came
up this year, I have no idea. On the other hand I have three lemon balm
grown from seed this year which have the same lower pink leaves and
lower pink stalks, but, as yet, no lemon perfume.

Hopefully the parfum will arrive tout a suite.

- Billy

Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.gardens.]
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:23:12 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:
Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

Pinkish when stressed. Lemon flavor more pronounced when growing a bit
on the dry side. Quite invasive. I used to plant it under the hose bibb
so it'd get stepped on regularly -- kept it in check a bit. g

Kay

Old 12-06-2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Kay Lancaster wrote:

["Followup-To:" header set to rec.gardens.]
On Mon, 11 Jun 2007 18:23:12 -0700, Billy Rose wrote:
Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

Pinkish when stressed. Lemon flavor more pronounced when growing a bit
on the dry side. Quite invasive. I used to plant it under the hose bibb
so it'd get stepped on regularly -- kept it in check a bit. g

Kay

OK, OK, I get the drift. I'm already battling spear and pepper mint.
During tis time of the year, I use the to flavor the pitcher of cold
water in the fridge. I put in a big wad and it flavors the water for
about 3 days before it loses its' freshness.

I can see that it would be best to re-pot what I've planted and decide
later, what our relationship is going to be.

Thanks for the heads up.

- Billy
Old 12-06-2007, 05:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Billy Rose wrote in news:rosefam-
:

In article . com,
mleblanca wrote:

[...]

And they have square stems, right?

Did you have a lot of mints planted close together last year? You might
have a hybrid.

My bad. The ones from this year are rounder than the mint from last year
(narrower, more spear-tip type of thing) but they both show the pink
leaves and lower stalks. Both were grown in potting soil for germination
although last year's are in normal potting soil now. Yeah, square stem
and serrated margins on the leaves. I'll see if I still have the seed
package and read what it says. I'm going to re-pot what I've planted
until I make-up my mind about how I feel about them (this year's lemon
balm).

- Billy
Old 13-06-2007, 01:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Lemon Balm is the Kudzu of the herb world, after planting a cute little
4" pot of it the monster can spread everywhere. If you have a place
where nothing else will grow, go for it, but be prepared to pull it up
and give it away ( to other victims rather like Little Shop of horrors
)as you try to keep it confined. I like Lemon Verbina better for suntea,
but the verbena is even less cold-hardy than basil so unless you are in
a tropical climate, this herb has to be potted and kept warm.With proper
attention, lemon balm can be a lovely addition to a garden but it does
spread quickly by seed.
Pat

Old 14-06-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Billy Rose expounded:

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy

Sorry to get back to this so late. Yes, some pink leaves, but not on
all the seedlings, and yes, there is a distinct lemon flavor. These
seedlings all had three to four sets of leaves, or fewer.
Old 15-06-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy Rose expounded:

Anybody grow lemon balm before? Did yours have some pink leaves and
stems that were pink at their base? Did the lemon balm have a distinct
lemon flavor when it was small?

- Billy

Sorry to get back to this so late. Yes, some pink leaves, but not on
all the seedlings, and yes, there is a distinct lemon flavor. These
seedlings all had three to four sets of leaves, or fewer.

Well that's a start. Thanks for looking. Mine taste like a weed. Just a
plain, simple, nondescript weed. I wonder what the heck I planted and
why? Thanks again.
- Billy

[IMG] code is On

Bloody lemon balm! Roy Bailey United Kingdom 7 20-04-2009 10:43 AM
How Long Does Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis L) Last? Jim Carlock Gardening 12 29-09-2005 05:57 AM
Lemon Balm Katra Edible Gardening 1 30-08-2004 05:42 PM
Lemon Balm Sissy Edible Gardening 1 29-08-2004 02:56 PM
Lemon Balm Story Tarzan United Kingdom 3 16-03-2003 07:21 PM