Old 14-06-2007, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mulch that may have a fungus

My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

Old 14-06-2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 14, 7:35?am, "Mike S." wrote:
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

It's hardly possible to protect anything from fungus, fungal spores
are wafting everywhere and are extremely resiliant. I don''t even
want to discus why you're storing mulch in your "room"(do you have a
mulch fetish), but living healthy plants are for the most part immune
from fungal damage (or there'd be no plants), and when plants do
develop fungus there are treatments readily available, but they would
have developed a fungus regardless of mulching, more often it's from
improper/over watering and inadequate sunlight.

Old 14-06-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 14, 7:35 am, "Mike S." wrote:
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

More important would be to keep it out of your lungs, you don't want
to breathe a snootfull of spores, other than that it should be fine
for the garden, were it mine I would just give it a rinse to hold the
dust down and put it to use.

Old 14-06-2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Mike S." wrote in message
ups.com...
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

I found the same thing in bags of cedar mulch that were damp, and stored in
my garage. I mulched almost everything in the garden with it and had no
problems at all. The sun will take care of it, I guess. If you're nervous
about it, spread thin layers first, wait a few days for it to dry in the
sun, and then add another layer. If you're new to gardening and find that
squash, cucumber & melon plants die with white powdery stuff on their
leaves, be aware that this is common for that plant family, and probably has
nothing at all to do with the mulch.

Old 14-06-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 04:35:25 -0700, "Mike S."
wrote:

My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

It sounds like actinomycetes, which is a fungal thread found in
decomposing vegetation, which easily you can place mulch in the
category. This fungi is beneficial. Most fungi is.

Old 14-06-2007, 10:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

ups.com...
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

Quite possibly. But before you get too exercised,
Old 15-06-2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

It sounds like actinomycetes, which is a fungal thread found in
decomposing vegetation, which easily you can place mulch in the
category. This fungi is beneficial. Most fungi is.

Well, yes and no, depends on the host... fungus is great in the
compost bin it's lousy between toes and crotches. LOL

Old 15-06-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

I bought it and opened it last year. I stored the mulch in it's
original bag and then placed that bag in a trash bag and tied it up.
I've kept the bag in my spare room since I got it last year.

If the mulch has a fungus, wouldn't it be bad to use on plants such as
tomatoes and peppers? I'm growing tomatoes and peppers in large pots
and was going to use this mulch in the pots. I'm worried about the
fungus infecting these plants.

It sounds like actinomycetes, which is a fungal thread found in
decomposing vegetation, which easily you can place mulch in the
category. This fungi is beneficial. Most fungi is.

Well, yes and no, depends on the host... fungus is great in the
compost bin it's lousy between toes and crotches. LOL

This is rec.gardens and not rec.toes and crotch.
Old 15-06-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 04:35:25 -0700, Mike S. wrote:
My bag of mulch has white specks in it that looks like powder. I don't
recall seeing it on there last year. Could it be some sort of fungus?

Could be. But even if it is, there are approximately 1.5 million species
of fungi out there, very few of which are pathogens. In fact, I've had
fungus for both breakfast and lunch today... yeast in my bread.

Chances that the fungus in your mulch will be pathogenic to your garden
plants are pretty low. Most likely it's one of the wood-rot fungi,
busy turning your mulch into compost.

Kay

Old 15-06-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

Well, yes and no, depends on the host... fungus is great in the
compost bin it's lousy between toes and crotches. LOL

Beware the friendly pervert.

-Billy

Old 15-06-2007, 02:06 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:22:56 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

Well, yes and no, depends on the host... fungus is great in the
compost bin it's lousy between toes and crotches. LOL

Beware the friendly pervert.

-Billy

What's wrong with you?
Old 15-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Most fungus is not harmful. Especially after being a year old.

Many tree problems are associated with the following:

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html and
Look up "Tree Planting"
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/index.html Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning/

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

ups.com...

Old 16-06-2007, 03:20 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

jangchub expounded:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:22:56 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

Well, yes and no, depends on the host... fungus is great in the
compost bin it's lousy between toes and crotches. LOL

Beware the friendly pervert.

-Billy

What's wrong with you?

I don't think all of the posts from Billy Rose are actually from Billy
Rose......
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 16-06-2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Ann wrote:

jangchub expounded:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:22:56 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

Well, yes and no, depends on the host... fungus is great in the
compost bin it's lousy between toes and crotches. LOL

Beware the friendly pervert.

-Billy

What's wrong with you?

I don't think all of the posts from Billy Rose are actually from Billy
Rose......

I thank you for the thought Ann but I done it.
It just makes me so angry that these wimps spew out whatever drivel is
in their tiny little skulls without presenting any reason for their
opinions. I could bite the guy's ankles off. Fortunately, the diuretic I
am taking has kept my blood pressure has kept it as flat as a board. If
anybody is interested, and I can't imagine why, I would be glad to
re-post the entire interaction. But if I go ballistic again, and you can
never tell when, cut me some slack, please, and figure I have a reason.
I'm sorry if I scared any of the tourists.

I hope you liked the Michael Pollard piece. That stuff about insects
going after the nitrogen, using sweet alyssum to attract beneficial
insects, and polyphenolics and soil composition just blew me away.

I seem to be flip-flopping between life and death in my readings. I
bought Omnivore's Dilemma, so the rest is on hold while I read a library
book about American intransigence in the face of several genocides ( A
Problem from Hell).

Here, today I planted half a dozen each sweet alyssums and marigolds in
the garden, a pair of goldenrods, replaced a psyllium that had been
eaten, put down a first coating of alfalfa mulch on the corn, tomatoes,
and peppers (they are showing their first flowers), replaced a
Gynostemma pentaphyllum that had been eaten, planted my surviving
chamomile, re-potted two lemon balms ( they had doubled in size in one
week), replanted a dozen plants from germination trays, repotted some
lettuce for hardening off and planted a crook neck. I was soaked by the
time I was through although it was only in the low 90s. The misting down
in the morning and evening was a pleasure.

Had our first beans from the garden yesterday. Finished up most of what
was there this evening. At least they didn't get away from me. How do
you do green beans any way? I boil them for 6 min., cool with tap water
and then lightly saute them with butter, parsley, and shallots or onions.
Pretty much depleted my lettuce. Need to let it recharge and get more
into the patch.

I'm sorry that I let you down. My address is above. You can check with
me anytime. Sorry Charlie played you along. We are in touch. He knew it
was me. If I break it, I own it.

But those vacuous, narcissistic, posturing, little weasels really burn
my toast.

Thank you for caring,
- Billy
Old 16-06-2007, 07:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:20:23 -0400, Ann wrote:

jangchub expounded:

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 22:22:56 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

Well, yes and no, depends on the host... fungus is great in the
compost bin it's lousy between toes and crotches. LOL

Beware the friendly pervert.

-Billy

What's wrong with you?

I don't think all of the posts from Billy Rose are actually from Billy
Rose......

Hmmmm....this is curious. How do you figure?

Based upon headers or content?

I'm not being a wiseass, I really am curious why you say this.

Charlie

Oh, Charlie. What's the deal? You know it's me. Ann is one of the really
good people. OK, OK, I owe you a beer;-)

- Billy