Old 24-06-2007, 09:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default need help with choosing plants

planning a backyard makeover, need help choosing plants for partial to
full shade, Want lots of color though and minimal maintenance (I am
handicapped). Complementing a water garden too.

I made a youtube video for a contest and within it it shows my backyad
layout. You can see it at youtube, and a search of : MEIJER EVANS
I'll leave a link, but doubt it will work because of no follow rules.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42AKQWWuEvM

At any rate, any assistance would be appreciated.

Old 24-06-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Off the top of my head. Where are you?

Prunus species such as cherries require full sun. Birch and cherry are
natural succession after a response to a tornado in old growth in
Pennsylvania. Cornus florida - dogwood - is a tree that requires some shade
such as it would receive in understory situation. Birches require full sun
and the require some water during dry times. The trees have their stomata's
stuck open so their is constant transpiration. Full sun and a moderate
amount of water, just enough to moisten the non-woody absorbing roots in the
upper four inches of soil. BTW trees absorb water with essential elements
dissolved in it. Essential elements such as N, P, K, Fe, B etc. If you are
in the right area and you have land, you could plant a weeping beech. They
require at least and area the size of a basketball court. I would also look
in natural areas near you and see what species are growing there. Sun and
shade is an important unique requirement of individual species.

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman