Old 28-06-2007, 02:32 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

Default Speaking of dill

My dill is blooming now, and my cucumbers got a *really* late start and
are only about 3 inches tall.

What's the best stage to pick the dill and stuff it into bags in the
freezer to wait for the cukes? Do I pick it when it has seeds but they
are still green? And what about packing a quart jar with short sections
of stems and filling with vinegar? (to flavor the vinegar and to
preserve the dill stems)

I should know all this, but it's been so long since I've had dill *and*
cukes I forgot.

Bob
Old 28-06-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.food.preserving

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

My dill is blooming now, and my cucumbers got a *really* late start and
are only about 3 inches tall.

What's the best stage to pick the dill and stuff it into bags in the
freezer to wait for the cukes?

I'd do it when the dill heads are yellow and pretty.

Do I pick it when it has seeds but they
are still green?

I would. Reminds me I should pay a visit to Brother John today. :-)

And what about packing a quart jar with short sections
of stems and filling with vinegar? (to flavor the vinegar and to
preserve the dill stems)

That sounds tasty. If you stuff the dill heads into the jar head down,
stem up, should be easier to get it out of the jar. Hey! Are you
planning to use the dill infusion for picking the cukes? That'd be good.

I should know all this, but it's been so long since I've had dill *and*
cukes I forgot.

Bob

I remember that someone posted (here?) about picking the dill, rinsing
it and giving it a shake to remove excess water, then rolling it in
freezer wrap (coated on one side kind of stuff) and freezing. Stick the
roll into a bag.When you need it, you simply unroll the roll and remove
what you need and leave the rest rolled in. Howzat sound?

(My cukes are about 1/2" long.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com - story and

[IMG] code is On

Dill question al United Kingdom 0 09-06-2003 07:32 PM
Dill Cucumber recipe? Kellie J. Berger Edible Gardening 1 08-06-2003 03:20 PM
dill going to seed miklol United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
dill going to seed miklol United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 12:22 AM
how can i dry Dill and other herbs? info Gardening 5 20-04-2003 09:08 PM